Ultra or Ultra-G?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two great deals just waiting for me...

Should I:

1) Get the CMG Infinity Ultra at darkgear.com for $16.85 ($13 + $3.85 SH)

OR

2) Get the CMG Infinity Ultra-G at Countycomm for $21 ($15 + $6 SH)

Help! TIA,

Dan

moeman

Enlightened
i have both and the ultra g is brighter and closer to a blue-white where the ultra is more of a purple white.
i hope this helps.....

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Something else to keep in mind is that the Ultra-G is stripped. No clip or lanyard just like the government wanted. The retail Ultra has both the clip and lanyard.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
According to 'Julie' of CMG CS the only difference between the Ultra and Ultra G is the anodising on the body!
I have read others saying that the LED is hand picked for higher quality but the email from Julie suggests otherwise.

Whatever the situation there is no doubt that the Ultra G is selling at a fantastic price (especially considering the HA 111 anodising)

Doug

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Ultra G's. Two have the medium green color finish, the other one is very dark green. All three have different color beams, none terrible, but it is still the old LED draw. I love the things, one in the truck, one bedside for the potty light, the other in my Wife's car. I like them better than the ARC. I carry a Photon on the key ring, and the Ultra (or G) handles a lot better, and has much better run time.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have 2 Ultras, blue-green and red, and 3 Ultra G's. The G's turn on and off easier. I like the harder anodizing of the G's, they don't get scuffed up. The Ultra's are Ha II, the G's HA III. The absolute favorite of both models is the red Ultra, super bright, gets the most use at night.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ultra G has more strength on the body than the Ultra. The led is luck of draw. I would say if you don't care about the finish (anodizing), get the Ultra. You got more than the G except the finish.

shrap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
I have 2 Ultras, blue-green and red, and 3 Ultra G's. The G's turn on and off easier. I like the harder anodizing of the G's, they don't get scuffed up. The Ultra's are Ha II, the G's HA III. The absolute favorite of both models is the red Ultra, super bright, gets the most use at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Ultras? Where did you get those from? CMG's site only has white Ultra's.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my red (ultra no - no) edit (just a regular Infinity -- Thanks for the corrections.) at REI about 6 months ago. It is now much brighter after I scraped off the resistive black goop at the anode contact.

By comparision, the red ultra is slightly brighter than a 3AA 4 * red LED "LED Club" red light. (This isn't saying much, though, as everyone has panned the LRD Club lights.)0

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the comments; I ordered an Ultra-G just because it says "US Government" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I thought all non white led lights were Infinity, not Ultra's. I have the infinity red, and the infinity blue-green + several Ultras, most are G's, all white.

Darell

Flashaholic
I have an Ultra and an Ultra-G in white. Except for the engraving and the lack of goodies with the G, they are identical. Same color, same anodize and hardness, comperable beam quality and brightness. My vote has always been to go with the bargain, and forget the G. It frustrates me to spend more and get less "US Gov't" just doesn't impress me much.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell, i assume your Ultra is the old model one? I once read that the newer Ultra only Type2 HA, look more stylish but less in strength. And I actually look the newer Ultra at nearby Rei.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
After buying an Ultra-G, I was utterly unimpressed as well. Should've stuck to a regular Ultra.

I couldn't tell if the Ultra-G was any brighter. If it was, it was so marginal it didn't make any difference. It's not thicker or anything, and it's head was actually too tight, so much so I needed to lubricate it constantly to keep it more loose than a regular Ultra. For what it costs and for what I got with it, I'd go with the Ultra if I had to buy it again.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to customer service the Ultra is now type 2 HA and the Ultra G is type 3........ Except for the early run of the Ultra, where they were all type 3 .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ....

paulr

Flashaholic
Countycomm has the Ultra G for 15 bucks, which is less than I usually see the Ultra for. If anything, you pay a little extra for the pocket clip and lanyard that come with the non-G.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Onelight:

The pre-ultra Infinities were rated for about 40 hours of run time. They got this by running dimly and using less current.

Various posts on the old Infinity suggested that the black goop was an inexpensive way to provide resistance to extend battery life. CPF'ers who scraped off the goop found that their lights were brighter. I have no basis for comparison because my only CMG lights are the "scraped" red Infinity and a white ULTRA-US.

The Ultras don't have the goop.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got one of the "government" models a long time ago from countycomm. the finish was nicked, it was a puke green in stead of the natural ha like sf. it put out less than my photon II. i would get an arc aaa before the infinity if i had to. i've had both and sold them, still have my photon II on my keychain.

onelight

Enlightened
lemlux on my amber infinity you can adjust the brightnes, turn it on gently dim, as you twist the head tighter it gets progressivly brighter to full on. My white ultra is full bright as soon as it comes on.DO you think this is because of the black goop?

Latest posts