12 volt incan. screw type flasher bulb?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a flashing screw based 12 volt bulb. I was putting a 12 volt SLA battery on a lantern and thought that it would be cool if I could put a replacement bulb in for the stock rear 6 volt 407 blinking bulb with one that runs on 12 volts that blinks. Thanks for any help:twothumbs.

Taboot

Enlightened
I'm sorry to tell you, but I have been searching for mini-screw base 12V bulbs, to no avail, for a looooonnnnggggg time. I have an 8 D cell brass flashlight from the 1940s that is ready to go, except for a 12 V bulb.

Good luck, if you find one, please post it here...

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Taboot

Enlightened
Taboot, I just checked my favourite distributor for electronic parts and came across these which may (or may not) be what you want:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Optoelectronics/Miniature-Lamps/MES-(E10)-G3-frac12-11mm-Lamps/29264

Rapid do some other 12V lamps but they don't look anything like what you would want...

Chrontius, I can't find anyone stocking 12V flashing bulbs unfortunately :(

Thanks, I'll check it out. I also have a guy who is restoring an old Packard who says he is sure he has a source for 12v mini screw base bulbs. If I find anything useful, I'll post here.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's a 7-cell Everready. I figured I'd turn it into a D-ROP, and then realized I was screwed on bulbs... because it was E10 MES screw-base. I think my best hope is an E10 bi-pin adapter.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we're QUITE finished with thread-jacking, back to 12V MES flasher bulbs.

Has anyone ever known of any?

Either tubular or globular, as long as they are MES/E10 based.

Most of the flasher bulbs I've known are 2.4, 4.8 or 6V. But I would think that 12V ones must have been made, for automotive use particularly.

If I can't get one, I might have to persist with a #407 and splice a resistor in the supply lead.

Taboot

Enlightened
If we're QUITE finished with thread-jacking, back to 12V MES flasher bulbs.

Has anyone ever known of any?

Either tubular or globular, as long as they are MES/E10 based.

Most of the flasher bulbs I've known are 2.4, 4.8 or 6V. But I would think that 12V ones must have been made, for automotive use particularly.

If I can't get one, I might have to persist with a #407 and splice a resistor in the supply lead.

Sorry I jacked your thread. Done. But I will post here if my antique automotive parts guy comes through.

Regards,

Michael

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I jacked your thread. Done. But I will post here if my antique automotive parts guy comes through.

Regards,

Michael

Not going to complain "I've accidentally jacked threads before" at least your keeping it at the top to get more attention:thumbsup:. Worst case I can just put in one of those bulbs on the link Zipplet posted a try "thanks:thumbsup:". They may not blink but at .1a or .2a draw rates they would give good run time. Through I wonder what the draw on the 407 6 volt flasher bulb is?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Done that.

(I'm not at all annoyed at the thead-jacking, just, like you, I want to re-establish the original thread topic)

In my 12V sealed-beam lanterns, I have 12V 3W (i.e. 0.25A) non-flasher bulbs installed, which are overdriven to blazes, but haven't complained.

You ask about the 407. It's 4.9V @ 0.3A.

So if we go with the standard 407 bulb, and opt to wire in a resistor in line with the red switch, then it needs to be:
Supply Ohms
12V (10 cells) 22 ohms
12.6V (SLA) 27 ohms
13.2V (11 cells) 27 ohms
14.4V (12 cells) 33 ohms
15.6V (13 cells) 33 ohms
16.8V (14 cells) 39 ohms

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Juggernaut are you still looking for a 12 volt flasher bulb? try GE bulb 258 13.8 volt auto & toy train flasher lamp its a screw base