Surefire 6PL vs G2L

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I was at the local Lowes today, and happened to see the 6PL and G2L for sale.

I noticed that the 6PL has a clear lens and textured reflector, while the G2L has a smooth reflector and frosted lens. Does anyone know why this is the case?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Its to give it a smoother beam, my G2L came like your 6PL, it still has a lite defuser materal in the lense but its very hard to see. The P60L module with the smoothe reflector from what I've heard are few and far between so go get it if its still their. I think the first run of P60L modules had the smooth reflector and then SF changed to the OP reflector but I'am not 100% sure on that.

zven

Enlightened
I got one of the earlier G2L's (before they had switched to the aluminum bezels), and mine's got a clear window with an OP reflector. To my knowledge, the smooth reflector with frosted lens is a relatively recent development. It seems to me that the frosted lens would diffuse the beam more than the OP reflector, which may or may not be a good thing, but not having used it, I can't be sure. From what I've heard, the two perform almost exactly the same.

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I broke down and bought a new G2L. If you open the bezel, and remove the lens, the diffuser film is sitting right underneath. You can easily remove the film and have a clear window.