The Aeon: Is It the Ultimate EDC?

charlesn

Enlightened
Enrique can rightfully be called the Swiss watchmaker of custom flashlights. He builds his creations with the robust construction of a Rolex, the precision of a Breitling and the understated elegance of a Blancpain. His latest light, the aluminum Aeon—which I've had the pleasure to review—continues in that tradition. Staring down into the reflector, I almost expected to see the words "Swiss Made" emblazoned on the front bezel.

This is a light that exudes quality and class, from its "just right" knurling, to its subtle brass accents, to the perfection of its black, HA III hard coat. It makes you wonder why everyone can't do HA III this well. I, for one, am tired of hearing custom builders tell buyers that we shouldn't expect top flight cosmetics in a megabuck flashlight because it's intended to be a tool. Enrique proves that you can build lights that are as beautiful as they are rugged.

But let's get to the real question at hand: does the Aeon have what it takes to claim the crown as an ultimate EDC? Notice that I didn't say "the" ultimate, because I don't think that such a light exists. What qualifies as "ultimate" for you depends entirely on your priorities for choosing an EDC. My ultimate since I bought it has been the Nautilus, which I own in both Ti and Al versions. It meets my priorities of superb build quality, small (but not too small) form factor, dual light levels, KISS operation, very bright, high-quality, fully regulated output and amazingly generous runtimes. When the Aeon arrived, I couldn't help but wonder: had Enrique really managed to stuff Nautilus performance into a CR2 form factor?

The answer, as I discovered, is an almost unqualified yes. When I compared the beams side-by-side in a hypercritical white wall test, what surprised me most was the nearly complete lack of any difference. Sure, the tints were different—more about that shortly, but suffice to say that the Luxeon lottery is alive and well, even for Cree emitters. But the beam quality was astonishingly close. With both lights positioned about 8 feet from the wall, the Aeon threw a slightly wider overall beam with a very slightly wider hotspot. That surprised me, given that it had the smaller reflector. Hotspot brightness seemed about equal. But I felt the Nautilus edged out the Aeon in the corona, with a brighter and more even distribution of light.

I really like Enrique's philosophy when it comes to building custom lights: specify clear design goals for the light, then execute them as simply as possible using the best parts available. "Best available" applies to the emitter, as well, though tint variations remain a constant. When it comes to tint against a white wall, my Al Nauti is different from my Ti version, while the Aeon is yet another flavor of "white." I'd say my Al Nautilus is the clear lottery winner, seemingly a pure and neutral white without being too cold. The Aeon, on the other hand, has the warmest tint of the three, reminding me of a Luxeon UV1J. Of course, the tint differences become much harder to distinguish in real-life lighting situations, but even then, I still prefer the Al Nautilus.

So, which to choose: Aeon or Nautilus? Obviously, any self-respecting CPFer should be buying both, but if you could pick only one, the choice would come down to which is more of a priority for you when selecting an EDC: smaller form factor or longer runtime? When all is said and done, those are really the only differences that make a difference between the Aeon and Nautilus lights. (And that says a lot about what Enrique has achieved with the Aeon.) Yes, I think the Nauti has an edge in beam quality, but not enough to sway a decision. For my tastes, the CR2 form factor is a bit too small, while longer runtime is very important. Of course, I EDC a light in my briefcase rather than my pocket or on a key ring, so the larger size/heavier weight of the Nautilus doesn't matter. For a comfortable and almost unnoticeable pocket carry, the Aeon clearly betters the Nautilus, and it's the only light of the two which is small and lightweight enough for a key ring.

Someday there will be a better version of both these lights. Emitters, batteries and circuits will be improved over time, which is inevitable. But the build and design quality of the Aeon and Nautilus is as good as it gets, and the purchase of either light today could undoubtedly serve you well for many years to come, if not a lifetime.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nautilus is still the EDC king for me. the availability of batteries, the longer runtimes, and the slightly better throw outweigh the larger form factor to me. the Nautilus specs are THE ideal EDC size IMHO. will be getting one in Ti at some point...

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Aeon does appear to be an outstanding light for sure, but I'm not sure how much of a real advantage it has over similar types like the Nautilus or even the BitZ, which I can't imagine being any nicer than they already are. I think it really comes down to other subjective characteristics including value and it would be hard to pick a winner. They're all so nice.

da.gee

Enlightened
Yes and no. The Aeon looks awesome but I own a Nautilus which is my EDC and not sure the advantages are that much greater for the Aeon. For me, the size is not significantly smaller, runtime and brightness are less with the Aeon and, once again in my case, I have no other CR2 lights so it would add another battery type to the mix.

The Nautilus is darn near perfect IMHO. The battery lasts forever, it's super bright for the package and it fits anywhere. It has not left my pocket since purchase. I bought a pink one for my wife last Mother's Day. She carries it in here purse which is to say she carries it always.

The blue Ti Aeon looks great and possibly worth it just to have. If I should ever misplace my Nautilus the Aeon would be at the top of my list but I'd really miss my Nautilus and it would also be in the competition. If I had a lot of excess cash for this hobby I'd own one along with a lot of other lights.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aeon is most certainly an ultimate EDC. Just that I have three minor gripes with the Aeon: First, the head threads into the body clockwise when facing the front of the lens. No problem there. However, this is somewhat counter-intuitive to what I am accustomed to when twisting the light on as the rotary dials I typically come across switch on by turning the dial to the right. To this day, I continue catching myself engaging the switch in the wrong direction. Second is an issue inherent with twist-on switches that is no fault of the Aeon in that debris accumulated along the exposed brass of the head tends to deposit itself along the O-ring. Now whether the debris actually serves to abrade the O-ring under repeated engagement of the light may be up for debate, but it is food for thought. YMMV, of course :) . As DM51 has mentioned, regular cleaning and maintenace of the region and O-ring eliminates such a possibility. Third, I would have liked to seen at least one tritium slot milled in along the lines of the Orb Wee.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fascination with well made lights really took off after purchasing a pair of Surefire 9N's around 1994
or so. Fast forward 13-14 years and 100's of lights later to 2008, and the Aeon (along with the Beast II)
are two lights that (my) dreams are made of.

So for me . . . YES . . . the Aeon is (without a doubt) the Ultimate EDC.

Looking forward to the blue Ti's!!!! :popcorn:

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to add a resounding yes! But I need to add the Nautilus in as well when the extra size :)crackup:extra size :crackup:) is tolerable and extra runtime is is needed.

I absolutely love both.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
charlesn: Thanks for the kind words, I'm happy to see you enjoyed using the flashlight. :)

...runtime and brightness are less with the Aeon and...
That's not true. Runtime is less, at 1.5 hours (vs. the Nautilus' 2.75 Hours) on high mode, but insofar as brightness goes the Aeon has a higher bin LED than what most aluminum Nautilus lights did - The Aeon is equipped with an R2 WH, and the Nautilus a Q5 WG.

Patriot36: As far as advantages go, with the Aeon, you're basically getting a miniaturized Nautilus with very few sacrifices having been made for the admission into the smaller form factor, you have similar beams, similar output and throw, and certainly equal quality between the two. So what it really boils down to is whether or not you want or need the small size and the quality and worksmanship that I find important to hold to in my designs.

-Enrique

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For those who can't pay for it, No, it's not the ultimate EDC.

For me that would be a AA, CR123, or AAA powered floody type light with an attachment lens for throw and a simple 2-3 mode operation.

The Aeon does look good though.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
owning both, i'm torn b/t them. i couldn't pick one, and so, they both are EDC'd daily.

i have two front pockets, so one light in each pocket. i wonder if that's why pants are made w/two front pockets?

Russki

Enlightened
The Aeon: Is It the Ultimate EDC?
Definitely it is.
You guys, with no Aeon, have to get one to understand, it is so small you can't fill it in you pocket or on keychain, and it so powerful, you would not believe you eyes.
Again, you must have it to believe it.
I got my Aeon with me all time now, and it sort of stopping me now from buying other lights.
You have something to compare too.
Cheers.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i would def love an aeon or bitz or the natuic...whatever its called. for edc

but their freaking expensive, p2d works just fine....for now........

But being a twisty you still need two hands to turn it on and CR2 cells are not common so NO its not the ultimate EDC.

But it IS a very nice toy.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
But being a twisty you still need two hands to turn it on and CR2 cells are not common so NO its not the ultimate EDC.

But it IS a very nice toy.

:thinking: I have no problem using my Aeon or Nautilus with one hand. I use my

Ra twisty one handed also, though it is harder to turn.

I dont think I have any twisty lights that I can't use one handed.

I may have practiced using my grip strength more than others in my teenage years though. I don't know. :huh::eek:

Latest posts