What makes LED different from incandescent?

Brownstone

Enlightened
Do you know what makes LED lights different from incandescent?

Are you sure?

That's right! The primary difference between LED bulbs and incandescent is that LED bulbs have no moving parts.

Can you imagine that? NO Moving Parts!

When you sit down and think about it, this is truly astounding. Picture all the moving parts in a typical incandescent bulb. Now picture a LED bulb; moving parts = gone!

I know, I know, I'm sure that there are those of you out there who just won't believe that LED bulbs have no moving parts, but here is the proof:
https://www.dorcydirect.com/p-86-41-1642-15-v-8-volt-1-watt-led-module.aspx

This LED replacement bulb module offers consumers a chance to change their old incandescent bulb into new and improved LED lighting. With the replacement of your old bulbs to LEDs you will get a longer run time on your battery life, as well as never needing to change your bulb again.

Luxeon 1 Watt LEDs from Lumileds offer state of the art performance. These 1 Watt LED's are solid state devices, meaning they have no moving parts, making them durable. Dorcy 1 Watt LED's can emit 45 lumens of light. 45 lumens is more than 3 times the light of a standard style 2D light using a krypton bulb. These lights use a single power LED and produce an intense beam of light

Wow! Technology is just amazing!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I guess a few of my MN21 have some bad gears or sumthin....they won't light up anymore.:ironic:

Maybe the crank bearings are seized.:thinking:
I never did add lube to those bulbs:ohgeez:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Picture all the moving parts in a typical incandescent bulb. Now picture a LED bulb; moving parts = gone!

:laughing:

Well, when an incandescent bulb burns out, the broken ends of the filament move around when you shake the bulb ;)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The filament in an incandescent bulb moves very very fast until it starts to glow due to friction. Duh! :D :p

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is reference to the flashlights of years ago. We were all taught to shake the lights when they didn't work. Frequently this action cured the problem. Hence the belief that incandescent bulbs had moving parts---it was actually that they had moving HANDS! :tinfoil:

Karl

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Other than improvements in filament materials, the basic technology of the incandescent light bulb hasn't changed since Edison invented it in 1879!! :candle:

mdocod

Flashaholic
idunno, maybe there is more truth to the concept that we ordinarily realize, I've definitely seen a filament vibrate before when the light was "shocked" so to speak :) (like dropped, etc).

The big brand boys (in all industry) just look for something that sounds cool and then ignore our plea to stop pretending that the public is generally stupid. Happens in pretty much every product group I can imagine, and always at it's worst in consumer electronics like stereo equipment. Oh well, it's a free market. It always comes back to bite them in the long run. Like when the computer industry told you that MHZ were important, and then they ran out of MHZ to offer and have to pretend like that never happened in order to keep selling you computers. The truth always comes out someday.

Eric

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than improvements in filament materials, the basic technology of the incandescent light bulb hasn't changed since Edison invented it in 1879!! :candle:

Edison "invented" a carbon filament bulb that lasted 10 hours. There were many others that have done the same before him. It took him a few years after patenting his "improvement to electric light" to switch to a superior bamboo filament in vacuum, already used over 20 years earlier by others.

Another interesting tidbit: the first tungsten incan was invented by a croat (Franjo Hanaman) in 1906.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Edison "invented" a carbon filament bulb that lasted 10 hours. There were many others that have done the same before him. It took him a few years after patenting his "improvement to electric light" to switch to a superior bamboo filament in vacuum, already used over 20 years earlier by others.

Another interesting tidbit: the first tungsten incan was invented by a croat (Franjo Hanaman) in 1906.

Right- should have said got all the credit for inventing it. Like most others credited with inventions the ideas and groundwork had been started much earlier.

drmaxx

Enlightened
Right- should have said got all the credit for inventing it. Like most others credited with inventions the ideas and groundwork had been started much earlier.
This turns really philosophical - who should get credit for an invention. The one who did it first? The one who delivered the idea / concept? The person who actually made a usable / sellable product out of it? Or the one who knew how to market the item to the masses for the first time?

"If I can see further than anyone else, it is only because I am standing on the shoulders of giants"

Illum

Flashaholic
oh....:shrug:

if you really must argue then look at the world from the quantum level...an LED die is a P/N junction thats many times bigger than the spaghetti junction highways with little balls of energy moving past the speed of light:p