Most Expensive Flashlight

air

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the forum and was quite amazed that there are really plenty of flashlight brands around. I am just curious to know what is the most expensive light available in the market.

It may not be always the case, but most of the time the more expensive are the ones that performs well.

marcspar

Enlightened
My guess is that one of the surefire Beast variations [hid] would have the highest price for a hand held battery operated light.

Marc

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the most expensive lights practical for EDC (every day carry) read: not huge, are probably McGizmo's, at around $500. I can't think of anything pocketable that costs more right now...

m16a

Enlightened
I think the most expensive lights practical for EDC (every day carry) read: not huge, are probably McGizmo's, at around $500. I can't think of anything pocketable that costs more right now...

You forget the exorbitant prices that people are willing to pay for the SPY line of lights. I'm pretty sure someone paid excess $700 for one recently.

jag808808

Enlightened
m16a,

The Ti Spy 007 opened sales at $945.00. I have seen another Ti light go for $1200.00. One day...

jag

You forget the exorbitant prices that people are willing to pay for the SPY line of lights. I'm pretty sure someone paid excess $700 for one recently.

carrot

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Spy's. If I had the money I'd definitely have one in my pocket too!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a spy?
This should clear things up for you:nana::devil:
  1. An agent employed by a state to obtain secret information, especially of a military nature, concerning its potential or actual enemies.
  2. One employed by a company to obtain confidential information about its competitors.
  3. One who secretly keeps watch on another or others.
Or you might want to look here.

Buy 2 of them:broke:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends on what kind of flashlight you are speaking of.

I've seen EDC types go for over $500 and larger HID types for over $2000.

:welcome:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh right. I knew it was some insanely high pice:)

I wonder what th golden spy raffled off at PF10 coulda gone for if it got bid on...:devil:

I dunno:thinking: I do know my wife got it for free! I still haven't heard the end of that one....:shakehead

Karl

mdocod

Flashaholic
I will share what I think is an appropriate configuration of words that some might consider "wise."

It has been my experience in consumer products that there are are products that are:

1. cheap and lousy, often not worth the time of day or the small price tag. (there are exceptions, gems in the rough, so to speak)

2. value/budget oriented and of reasonable build quality at an attractive price.

3. high end, great quality and cost a bit more than budget products (often proving to be the best value in the long run)

4. products that belong in the "value/budget," or sometimes "high end" oriented market but are sold at heavily inflated prices to make the product "appear" to be something special based purely on price. I have not seen many examples of this in flashlights, but it crops up in "audiophile" gear quite frequently. I would give the example of a particular popular brand starting with the letter "B" but don't want to hurt anyones feelings :)

5. truly prestigious products made from the finest grades of materials and components, often hand built and available in limited numbers, and for those who can afford it, are worth every penny, especially when you know a number of those pennies went to pay a skilled worker a good wage to build it. Generally speaking, this arena tweaks out those last few drops of performance or capabilities, but does not usually have a level of capability above and beyond "high end" gear in direct proportion to the price difference.

Often times, the "high end" products available, match, or come very close to the performance or capabilities of those prestigious products, but are often available at a fraction of the price. The prestigious products, if you can afford them, are often worth owning for reasons above and beyond what the capabilities of the product are. Owning something highly unique or rare that a lot of work went into can be a rewarding experience for a consumer, and offers those truly skilled designers/builders/inventors a chance to really show off their capabilities :)

In conclusion, what I am saying, is that in most consumer markets, you can pay as much as you want, but a really good product is almost always available at a more conservative or reasonable price.

Eric

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to the CPF! :wave:

As for the "most expensive flashlight" and with what the others here already mentioned, there's this illuminator called the MegaRay.MR175!

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
truly prestigious products made from the finest grades of materials and components, often hand built and available in limited numbers, and for those who can afford it, are worth every penny, especially when you know a number of those pennies went to pay a skilled worker a good wage to build it.

Nicely put, there's a lot of starving artists out there, and I don't doubt that there's a fair share of builders and modders out there who don't make what they should too. Despite being from the lower-middle class myself, I'd like to remind everyone reading Eric's post that we need both the dollar-bin plastic lights and the McGizmo's to keep this economy balanced out, but try to buy American when you can. :rolleyes: