Arc AAA and Fenix E01 5 Story Drop Test

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Fenix E01. I really like this light. I got it as a possible replacement for my old BS led Arc AAA.

My Fenix E01 Mini Review and comparison to my aging Arc AAA:

The Good: Perfect anodizing, fairly bright, long runtime, well made, tail standing ability, smooth threads, $15 shipped – Thanks 4Sevens!

The Bad: Compared to the Arc AAA, it is big! Also the hotspot is not centered in the beam although it doesn't matter much in real world use.

Now to the good stuff!

I had an extra Arc AAA (backup in case my primary one broke) which has sat unused since I bought it – my primary one just simply NEVER failed me! I decided to do a drop test off my balcony which is on the 5th floor. Below is a paved parking lot. I lobbed both the never used Arc and my brand new Fenix E01 off the balcony to see what would happen.

The contenders:

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

Both lights were turned on when they were dropped. As soon as they hit, I ran down to see the damage. I picked up the Fenix and it was still on! It works perfectly. I picked up the Arc and I got nothing. I decided to swap the batteries and the Arc fired up on the battery that was previously in the Fenix. The battery that was in the Arc got a bit crushed. The amazing thing is that the Fenix was able to fire on the crushed battery from the Arc, and no matter how many times I tried, I could not get the Arc to fire from that battery.

The most important thing is that both lights survived! The Fenix took more physical damage than the Arc, but the Arc crushed the battery. Now, I used to take my EDC Arc and throw it against walls, floors, etc to prove its durability and I have never had a crushed battery so it does take a lot of force to make that happen. Like I said, I have abused my original Arc and I have never been able to make it fail!

The aftermath:

The lights kept rolling around and not staying put where I wanted them to, so I propped them up with my battered original Arc AAA. The two lights that are side by side are the ones that got dropped.

IMG_3921.jpg

As you can see, the Fenix has a chunk missing from the tail as well as a few other minor gashes. The Arc almost looks perfect! It has a couple of VERY small chips in the anodizing on the head, but otherwise it is perfect!

I am going to have to buy an Arc GS now to really compare them! I have a feeling that I will prefer the Arc simply because of form factor – it is a lot smaller than the Fenix.

One valid point is that my test was done with an OLD Arc AAA. I am assuming that the new Arc's are at least as sturdy if not more sturdy than the old ones that I have. Both lights are incredibly well made though, and I have to congratulate both Fenix and Peter (Arc) for making terrific products.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, im always amazed at how small the arc is. I traded an E01 and gave one away, now i myself dont have one. :ohgeez:

Crenshaw

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always scare people by throwing my E01 against a wall to show how much better they are than mag's ;)

Good to see it'll withstand a 5 story drop just in case I ever get into a pi**ing contest with it!! ;)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually when these flashlights fall from 5 stories the person they fell with is in no condition to do relative comparisons of their continued usability. I commend you for surviving their fall. ;)

Cool test, though. Too bad you didn't have someone capturing video from a couple of different angles. Ya could'a YouTubed it.

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
This whole crazy test started with a friend of mine accidentally dropping his cell phone off our balcony. It was a small Nokia flip phone. It fell out of his pocket and straight off the edge. The phone actually survived (not in great shape, but it does function).

I figured that if a phone could survive, then surely these lights should as well. I knew that the Arc would, and I wanted to see if the Fenix could keep up.

AS for the ARC I dropped, no it isn't really sitting there unused, it is sometimes in my car and sometimes inside the apartment. It just didn't see any real abuse so it looked like new.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought about the batteries, could the one in arc got dented on either + or - side enough so arc can't make contact, while e01 has longer contact points and is able to?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, Thanks for doing that test!

But, I'm sorry, I just don't get people saying that the Fenix EO1 is "so much bigger" then the ARC. I have both (actually about (6) ARC's to (1) Fenix EO1, but the ARC's will soon be going O.O.S. (Out Of Service) and will be replaced with EO1's). And hearing the ARC did not work after the fall and the Fenix did was the "icing" on the cake for me.

I just DO NOT find them all that much bigger. Yes, they are a BIT bigger, but only a bit. Stepping off my soapbox now. My .02 FWIW YMMV

jbviau

Enlightened
Fun!

For some reason this makes me think of the "Will it blend?" series on YouTube. Anyone care to answer that question with either of these lights? I pity the blender.

sabre7

Enlightened
More proof the E01 is tough. How does the finish of the E01 hold up after being carried & beat up for a while on a keychain? Does one color hold up better than the others?

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
More proof the E01 is tough. How does the finish of the E01 hold up after being carried & beat up for a while on a keychain? Does one color hold up better than the others?
Mine (Blue) has been in my pocket attached to my main keychain since I got it in May. I also have a separate set of keys in my pocket as well, so lots of opportunity for contact.

Finish is still in great shape, no dings or nicks. The biggest problem I have is pocket lint dust around the LED.

My wifes (purple) has been in her purse for the same amount of time and has a ding in it.

Last edited:

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought about the batteries, could the one in arc got dented on either + or - side enough so arc can't make contact, while e01 has longer contact points and is able to?

I looked at the battery and the negative side got dented, so that explains why the Fenix could still use it (the spring in the battery compartment of the Fenix is able to keep contact with the battery).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Fun!

For some reason this makes me think of the "Will it blend?" series on YouTube. Anyone care to answer that question with either of these lights? I pity the blender.

I was thinking Mardukes "will it crush" series.... poor little hydraulic press:sick:.