Anyone dissected an X5 or X5T?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a nice host for an LS mod, along with the smaller X1 that's coming out. I'd really like to know how to get it apart without disfiguring or destroying it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jon

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
StoneDog,

I had one of the early ones- front bezel turn-on. Came into some cheap UVs and went for it. Had to cut the head in two in a lathe! It was pressed-together and the "electronics" were potted in epoxy! I torched that and used a punch on the LEDs to get it out! I actually saved their board, which mounted the LEDs and 5 surface-mount resistors. I added my own non-surf mount resistors and machined a piece to replace what I had cut away so I could press it back together. I reanodized it, and it is the best scorpion hunting light I have had yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

(I do not recommend this to anyone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, X5 is a nice host for a LS mod, X1 even better!.

I am wondering where you could mount the LS on a X5. Perhaps, drill a hole in the middle of the 5? I still prefer LS in a X1! Opening these 'metal rods' would be tough!

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
And not ruining the X1's lens (which is one of it's strongest points, IMHO) would be even more difficult.

Dern those Inova engineers for making these things so mod-unfriendly.

I'll bet an enterprising machinist (not me!!!) could turn an X5 into a 1x123 LS light by cutting off the existing head and machining a replacement that screws or presses into place... The X5 could also go on a "diet" like a few of the Legend LX's that we've seen by reducing the OD of the body where the fluting is - just turn the fluted section of the body down until the flutes dissappear... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh well, back to work.

Jon