1xAAA Stainless LOD clone mini-review

Marduke

Flashaholic
Last month I decided I wanted try try out this little 1xAAA stainless light from DX. I enjoy it enough that I wanted to post a little mini-review for everyone. BTW, the picture on the main page is incorrect (it's of the UF C3). The lower pics are correct however (at this time)

This light was originally brought to our attention in this thread, which has some excellent pictures and beamshots, so I won't really duplicate those (I'm horrible at beamshots).

Some good points to note:
  • High on par with LOD Q4
  • Excellent machining and finish
  • High frequency PWM (not perceivable in any way)
  • Very floody
  • Came with 4 extra o-rings.
  • Fenix AAA clip fits perfectly, and lets it ride very low in bezel-up configuration with no chance of the clip sliding off.
  • Spring in bottom, so not a "battery crusher" style light.
  • At least with my unit, it was clear that QC actually put a battery in and tested the light, as there was the scuff mark of a battery nipple on the PCB when it arrived.
  • Good heatsinking (body warms quickly on high, a good sign)
  • 10440 use is suposedly supported, however I have not tried it.
A few negative points:
  • Slight bit of wobble in head, but it's not bad at all
  • Have to wait approx 1/2 to 1 second after switch off to cycle modes. It doesn't switch modes automatically with every power interrupt. This helps to avoid accidental mode switching with intermittent contact, but you can't quickly cycle though modes like some lights (LOD). It was a little odd at first, but I quickly got used to it, and found that it's easy for most people who generally don't twist on and off very quickly. It's really a non-issue most of the time.
  • Little heavy for it's size (it is steel after all...)
Other Thoughts:
  • Medium is slightly brighter than LOD Q4, low is about the same or slightly lower, high is about the same (both on NiMH). Strobe appears to be slightly faster
  • There is no SOS in mine. Instead, it's a different beacon mode. It's two quick flashes, then a long pause of about 2 seconds. Between flashes during the long pause the LED die glows very dimly.
  • Even on the low setting, there is no noticeable PWM affects, unlike the LOD. I suspect the PWM frequency is set to several kHz, well above what is possible to perceive with your eyes. I checked this my waving something in front. Both a wagging finger or various fan blades show no affect.
  • Nearly the exact same size as the Fenix LOD.
  • Uses Chinese made Cree. Would have preferred US made.
  • Head and body completely interchangeable with LOD
I have found myself taking it off my keys in the morning and keeping it on my desk most of the day. I find it's texture and weight pleasant to "fidget" with all day. It also make a nice conversation piece. I do have a couple pics to add, which I hope will give some size comparrison. If you look closely you might notice that I put a thin o-ring in the small gap where the head and body meet. I found the edges there to be a tad sharp, and the thin o-ring helps smooth everything out.

I would recommend this light to anyone in the market for a powerful AAA keychain light where the slight bit of added weight was of little concern.

Picture for comparison:

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello TuTu,

Welcome to CPF.

Thank you for bringing Marduke's post to our attention. After reading it, I disagree with you. It is not an advertisement.

Tom

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great review Marduke. It looks like quite a deal and one of the nicer lights we've seen from DX.

I'm really thinking about trying one out. :thinking: Maybe the chinese cree is frightening me some though.

NetGod3Com

Newly Enlightened
matrixshaman:
You are the first to reply in regards to my sig.:wave: Might have to change it to a list of lights in hex. As others have pointed out listing them in your sig tends to mess up searches. Though a light list in hex would be HUGE! Even my meager collection.

led4me

Newly Enlightened
Any idea what the run time is on the various modes? Also, how well it is regulated? I assume it is not as good as the fenix l0d.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Low mode is around 8 lumens by estimation. I have no idea of runtimes other than those advertised, as I don't have the equipment to do any runtime plots, or the patience to sit there with a stopwatch and watch it.

LGCubana

Enlightened
I've got two of these. Very close in tint

I've tried 10440 (in both), they get warm to hot quickly. The 3 intensity settings appear to all be the same; BRIGHT!
Strobe & (funny) SOS kind of work. But neither mode actually shuts the the light off during bursts of light.

With Eneloops, all modes work.

I'm content running both with Eneloops. Even though the high setting is not as bright as when running on 10440.

If I remember correctly, my KD, version 4, Q5 toughs are brighter; with the same Eneloops.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman:
You are the first to reply in regards to my sig.:wave: Might have to change it to a list of lights in hex. As others have pointed out listing them in your sig tends to mess up searches. Though a light list in hex would be HUGE! Even my meager collection.
48:6f:77:20:6d:61:6e:79:20:62:61:74:74:65:72:69:65 :73:20:64:6f:65:73:20:69:74:20:74:61:6b:65:20:74:6 f:20:64:72:69:76:65:20:62:61:63:6b:20:74:68:65:20: 64:61:72:6b:6e:65:73:73:3f
I'm not C3P0 who can understand over 3000 languages. Cannot read hex.
Maybe a picture of the English version or put it in your profile.