How old is your light?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Just thought I'd start a thread that might get some interesting responses. The idea came to me when I was checking on lights in drawers, etc. to make sure the batteries were good. I ran across a very old surefire 6P and was trying to remember when I bought it. I associated it with how old my kids were and realized it had to be around 20 years old. It has the old Laser Products engraving on the tail switch. Now, because it is a Surefire, I have upgraded it -- it has an older Malkoff LED assembly in it. I got my money's worth out of this light!

How old is you light and does it have a story?

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost all my lights are old, in fact a good number of them are much older than me "see them in 2008 collections". The oldest EDC I carry is a purple Mag solitaire I was given when I was 10 years old. My most used sealed beam lantern "modded with 30 watt bulb and 7.2 SLA battery" is a 1970's RayOvac sportsmen who spent most of it's life in it's factory box in the C-Wing of my father's hospital. It did get some use though jugging by some wear on the sides of the bezel, but mostly it sat there. One day my dad's boss was going to throw the lights out and asked if anyone wanted them "because their rectangular 6 volt batteries were to hard to find and to expensive to replace" so my dad brought two home "One the C-wing and the other from the X-ray room" The X-ray one appeared to have never been touched it was completely perfect, and after spending 30+ years in a X-ray room it was probably mildly radioactive:devil::whistle:. So these two lights turned me on to the sealed beam lanterns.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
... and that's why you buy a 6P.... its the last light you will ever really NEED to buy:thumbsup:

My minimag is vintage 1997, but the nite-ize drop in is around a year old. It had a finicky switch for a while but I was able to repair it. My mag 4D is about that age too, but its just too big/heavy by todays standard, so it never gets used. All my good lights are post CPF membership.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I have a Mini Maglite from the early 90's my dad got it when he worked at Dupont. It no longer works reliably because in '98 I lost it in the woods for about a year and the inside is corroded.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean: "How old is your oldest light?" :) . The light I use most often (to test and to play with) is oftentimes only a few weeks old, at most. that said, the Pelican Super SabreLite is the oldest light in my collection. Circa late 90's, or so.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got an early Minimag (late '80's), but my oldest may be a 2AA Radio Shack freebie that's around here somewhere.

Geoff

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
My oldest working light is a 4AA 4 watt florescent light (two sets of two batteries are side by side). It is still fairly compact for it's brightness and I have only owned brighter lights than it in the last year. It's still pretty efficient by today's standards too. It will run 6 hours straight on Sanyo 2700 mAh AAs. The bulb seems to last about 1,000 hours before replacing it. Replacement bulbs go for about $4. Not bad having a light designed over 20 years ago still beating most flashlights it's size in brightness and efficiency. Despite the bulb lasting so long, it can still be easily replaced, unlike most l.e.d. flashlights. I can also choose the bulb with the color tint I want and change it if my preference changes. They don't make 'em like they used to. I think it originally cost ten or twelve bucks at Radio Shack (it's a Coleman light).

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The oldest light I still use/carry is a Photon 2 with a turquoise LED. IIRC I got it just after they came out, whenever that was, from a company that sells kites. They were promoting them for kite bag lights or to tie to your kite for night flying. I never put it on a kite but on my keychain and it's been there ever since. I still use it to signal someone I'm meeting when I'm in a crowd. The unusual color generally gets their attention.

-LT

PS Anyone remember when the Photon 2 first came out?

mdocod

Flashaholic
100_2758.jpg

this ones pretty old... From around 1938 give or take.

It was given to me as a gift by my step-mom, who has a lot of neat antique stuff, she thought this would be a fitting gift for me! She could not have hit it more on the head :)

more info here:
http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Burgess-Flashlight-2-Cell-Flashlight-Sub-2D-1938

Eric

Aluminous

Enlightened

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sitting here looking at a Smoke Cutter (3D cell) light that I bought in 1982 and a SL-20 that I bought in 1985. I also have 2 - SF 6P's and a 9P that I bought in 1995 (used them until I got new 6PL's and G2L's (all with Malkoff's now) to replace them). I also have a couple of 3 & 4 D cell Mags from the early 1980's and a Mini-mag that I bought just after they came out (was it 1984 or 1985 perhaps? I can't remember), My .02 FWIW

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
mdocod seems to have the oldest light, so far.

It's often funny how you use something often and over time you forget how old it really is. Tools are a good example of this. I have many tools handed down to me from my Grandfather, etc.

I guess my intention was to see who was still using older flashlights, but I think we all love to see antiques as well.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I received an old Rayovac Captain, as a kid and still have it, I just don't use it anymore. I guess it's about 30-32 years old now.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
My oldest light is what I considered my first " good quality " flashlight. It was a Surefire 9N. I bought it in 1996 along with the turbo head. I was fishing quite alot back then and used it to spot and light up channel markers. It's still like new in the box and sadly does not get much use now-a-days. Still a great light, even by today's standards.

Best Regards:
Bob

Burgess

Flashaholic
an old Rayovac Captain

Are you sure it's not an Eveready Captain ?

Never heard of Ray-O-Vac having that moniker.

They called their models, the Sportsman.

_

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I have a 1950's Sears Explorer stainless 3D flashlight I just put a new Krypton bulb in and a new Borofloat lens in and keep it behind the front door. Its not floody, but will throw a really good bright beam over 100 yards! Its got a nice reflector, better than some more modern lights. I am still amazed by it for its age! Made in USA too, like most stuff back then.

Last edited: