Reflector issue in my 3D MagP4

Swagg

Enlightened
Ok, here is what I got going on, I have a MagLed 3D which I modded to accept a Souel P4 led and it works great! It really is a great thrower with great runtime. What I wanted to do was put in a ModaMag smooth camless reflector that I have, here's the info:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=103180&highlight=modamag's+M2

I am assuming that the increase in throw and light output he claims will also work with the led so I wanted to try it. The opening is currently bored to .325 which is the same size of a ROP bulb. When I put the reflector on, it rests on the pedestal that the LED is installed on so it can never focus to a tight hot spot. It has the dark ring instead. So what is the optimal height for the LED? Is it even worth boring it to a wider opening the get it to the proper hotspot?

Thanks guys for any help

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
You shouldn't need another reflector for the LED module. Those cammed/less reflectors will only boost throw for incan mods. A smaller opening means less light is lost. A larger opening is for larger bulbs.

The reflector never rests on the pedestal it rests on the lip in the head.

Going camless with an LED module is a waste, and gets rid of the nice focusablity of the mag.

Swagg

Enlightened
That's what I was wondering...I had this one sitting around and thought it might work better, as far as focus goes I find it pretty useless for my purposes with the mag. The opening and it sitting on the pedestal is what it is now, which I know isnt right, I guess I was just trying to figure out is the throw is only better with incan bulbs or if it applies with LED also...if it does help I was going to bore out the opening to make it fit better