< $20 6P knockoff Wannabe

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know anything about these lights? I've seen "buy it now" prices for < $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3603294469&category=36112

The bezel has a rather silly looking "Police" logo, but I'm curious if any of the other pieces might be interchangeable with SF parts.

Various posters have suggested that SF's increased disinclination to sell bodies and other parts arise, at least in part, from a desire not to be interchanged with non-name lights looking like this.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I handled one and the darn thing is way heavy and the push button is a joke.

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at that guys other sales and he has a bunch of cheap led headlights a few were only going for a $1 + $5 shipping, may just have to try one of those.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for $15.50 (less than the cost of a P60) I thought it was worth a try. I'll report.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
At around $23-$25 shipped sounds like something that might be cool to tool around with or keep in my tool box?
I'm wondering if the tail cap threads are compatable with SF components and if the lamp is compatable with possibly an SF P61. Maybe be a cool project light to conver over to a P90?
Hoping someone can help shed some light on this flashlgiht.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say get a UKE 2L instead. I got several of the Buck Knives relabelled version for around $20 each a couple years ago. They are my favorite light. I like them better than much more expensive lights like the Surefire. A lot of the cost of them must have been the two included Duracell 123's. With 123's so much cheaper now, maybe we'll see more low-cost lights like that.

llvo

Enlightened
I bought one for $60 HKD...that's about ~$8 USD

It's no way to compare with a surefire, IMHO
It's as bright as a 4D maglite, though.

I strongly suggest anyone to buy a better light if they intend to own only one light.

Billy

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
llvo, is the flashlight part is interchangeable with SF parts?

how about the bulbs part? is it the same? seems the same for me (except for the reflector)

K-T

*Moderator*
I also believe the drawing they included in the auction is from a SF 6P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

llvo

Enlightened
Hi all,
That 'Police' light does not has any parts that can share with surefire. It has a plastic silvish reflector with an unknown bulb type. The light can be used like Maglite's candle mode.

Don't get me wrong. For such a price, it's a very good light with strong construction and practical surefire like switch(No lock out function). It cannot accomodate P60/61.

If you want a light that can use Surefire lamps, G&P flashlight and Wolf-eyes are the option you got.

For my use, I will choose Surefire. Maybe some times later, when I need rechargeable light, I will choose Wolf-eyes'.

Billy

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another auction referred to a long run time of about 110 minutes and bi pin bulbs. It will be interesting to see if Scorpion or Legend LX bulbs will fit.

As Zephyr suggests, it may also be a good host for mods.

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to hear that the reflector is plastic.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I was hoping that it could be a cool light to have and interchange parts with Surefire. Except for a body, I can pretty much make another stock G2. . . I wish SF sold bodies seperately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I wonder what the lumen rating on it is? The batteries has got to be good for about $5 (Ebay price) which makes the light worth about $10. Might still make a good host for a modder? Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Li 123's are only around $1.00-$1.50 each these days if you shop carefully.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
KT:

You're right about the drawing. They include the same drawing in the box, but the actual design is quite different.

What apears to be a plastic reflector is threaded against the lens.
The outside of the inside rim of the reflector has four small circular depressions at 90 degree invervals. I'm guessing that the depressions are where the tool to thread/unthread (not included) engages.

The L/A is in a screw in plug that screws into ID threads in the body. As far as I can tell, the "bi-pin" bulb doesn't seem to be removable from the L/A. I'm not inclined to break it on the first day.

Light is tolerable as a reasonably bright emergency light. The Plug-in LA looks as though it would be considerably easier to modify than a SF Pxx LA.

Mr. Bulk could easily mount a high output 1W LS on this plug, and it could be driven with a 68 mm long Li_Ion.

I won't be buying any more of these.

paulr

Flashaholic
I just don't see why I'd want the knock off instead of spending $25-30 on a G2, which already uses P6 parts. I don't see the metal construction as an advantage, but that's just me.