NDI or DX10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl0123

Enlightened
I was blinded or enlightened by a tiny NDI a couple of months ago at the local Home Depot. I only meant to get an LED conversion bulbs for my maglite and ran into a gentleman who kindly demo'ed his NDI. It's compact, lightweight, but it's superbright. It strobes, and it runs on rechargeable Eneloops. He said he got it for a really good price as part of the group buy and told me to check out Candlepower. He also mentioned something about "hacking", but I have yet to read up on hacking an NDI.

Taking advantage of a Lowes $10 coupon, I picked up a SF 6P-LED three weeks ago. It is solid and bright, but now I would like to find something in the 1-cell range and more portable. What would be some of the reasons to choose an NDI over the DX10, or vice versa? Please help me to make an informed decision on the next light.

With Aloha,

Clarence

PS. Big "Mahalo" to the gentleman showing me the light and telling me about CPF. :twothumbs

Zenster

Enlightened
First, :welcome:

Second, you're sort of making a fau paux by asking a question that could easily be answered by doing a search. "Some" people might really jump on you for that (but I'm just pointing out that it's a really good option). ;)

Third, I invite you to do that search and you will learn a ton more about either light, but...

Fourth, the quick and dirty rundown is that the D10 (there is no DX10) is smaller and has, in my opinion, a much more friendly UI. Additionally, the D10 doesn't have a conventional switch that might be prone to failure like the one in the NDI.
I also feel that the D10 is better built, but maybe that's just me.
And, the D10 is slightly less expensive if that means a lot.

But again, do some searching and you'll learn volumes of material that's already been reported.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on what you want from your light.
You were impressed with the strobing of the NDI. Well, the D10, doesn't strobe. So if that's important to you, you don't have to go any further to read the rest of the arguments here which will probably weigh heavily in favor of the D10.

The advantage of the D10 over the NDI:
1. smaller size
2. more reliable PD switching mechanism
3. simpler interface
4. lower price
5. more agressive knurling
6. instant access to low or max
7. tail standability
8. ramping quickly done from tail switch, not from twisting head as with NDI.
9. Clip for D10 is planned but not yet available. It should give the light anitroll protection.
10. Harder grade of Aluminum

The advantages of the NDI:
1. strobe
2. anti-roll protection built into body of light
3. no loss of user definable setting in memory as happens with D10 when accessing Max or Min.
4. easy operating switching mechanism with momentary forward clickie. You do not have to loosen head in order to get momentary.

Both lights have similar output and a similar beam.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
had both, but only kept the NDI. for "tacticool" purposes the UI is much better, and its easier to cigar grip (although the D10 is pretty good in that grip as well). and great runtimes on the NDI. keep researching!

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the D10, but I'm sure I wouldn't say anything that hasn't already been said in one of the infinite posts on that light. A simple search will get you there.

As the for NDI, I just got it, and I love it. Super bright for a 1 cell, nice features. As far as a more complicated interface, well, I guess that depends on your definition of simple. For low, you click on, for high, you twist the head tight, for strobe, you twist the head from tight to loose then back to tight.

I don't do any of the technical ramping or user-defined stuff. I don't need to. I use low, high, and if i need it, strobe.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, cl0123.

As others have pointed out, there are existing threads on this topic - quite a number of them, in fact. I don't think we need another one, so I'll close this one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts