Housing for DX R2 Drop in ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnthemeasurer

Newly Enlightened
I recently got the DX R2 drop in (SKU 11836) and I love it!
smile.gif
Very bright, nice color, etc at ~4.8 volts (4 NiMH AAs). My dilemma is that I can't figure out a decent housing (I don't have any machining equipment and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.)
crash.gif
The best I can come up with at present is metal conduit (for electrical) and that's ok, but it's heavier than I'd like. The unit doesn't fit into 1" copper tubing (it's close...)
frown.gif
Any ideas out there? I'd like to make it into a helmet light but even a handlebar headlight would be ok.

Al Combs

Enlightened
I recently got the DX R2 drop in (SKU 11836) and I love it!
smile.gif
Very bright, nice color, etc at ~4.8 volts (4 NiMH AAs). My dilemma is that I can't figure out a decent housing (I don't have any machining equipment and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.)
crash.gif
The best I can come up with at present is metal conduit (for electrical) and that's ok, but it's heavier than I'd like. The unit doesn't fit into 1" copper tubing (it's close...)
frown.gif
Any ideas out there? I'd like to make it into a helmet light but even a handlebar headlight would be ok.

Welcome to CPF.:)

The DX Drop-In is a 3.7-18 volt Surefire P60 clone that fits many different lights. That's a good price on an R2 for only $12.40. Here's an interesting 6P clone from Lighthound for $25. There's a 2% off at checkout from Lighthound with the coupon code, "CPF". What's interesting about the Solarforce L2 is it's the only P60 clone I've ever seen with no bulb. That makes it a perfect fit for your situation.

At the bottom of Lighthound's link is a 34mm extension tube to turn the 6P clone into a 9P clone. With 3 CR123A's at 9 volts or 3 RCR123A's at 12.6 volts, you'd probably get much better runtime. Of course you don't really need that.

Just in case you're wondering, here's the genuine article, the Surefire-6P. A little more money but now you can see where the Solarforce got its good looks from.

You might be tempted by the G2 or G3 being so much cheaper. But I've read a few reviews from people that put drop-ins in a G2. It seems the light can't dissipate the heat properly because it's made of plastic.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
if your drop-in will fit a Surefire P60 or clone, then +1 to Post #2's recommendation of the SolarForce L2 as a host for your drop-in. i have two SolarForce L2's & two of the extenders. so, i'm all set for two, three, or four cells as a power source for my drop-ins. IMO, the L2 is good quality and priced right. i purchased mine fr/Lighthound.com - a very good OnLine Retailer in my experience - zero problems on any of my, easily, two dozen -plus orders fr/them.

oh,...and welcome aboard!

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, johnthemeasurer.

Replacing a stock LA with a drop-in does not qualify as a modification, so this topic really belongs in the LED section.

There is a thread about P60 hosts in that section which lists a large number of choices. I'll close this one and you can continue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.