Is this what I should expect???

painless

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good pics!

I'd order form somewhere else if thats what kind of quality you are getting. I've never had any LEDs that look like that.:shakehead

evilc66

Enlightened
Thats pretty bad. I just ordered a bunch of Cree's from them, and I hope they don't show up looking like that.

painless

Newly Enlightened
Is this what I should expect? (big pics)

Is this the LED lens quality I should expect on any NEW LED I purchase, or just from kaidomain. And it only took three and a half weeks to get to me!!! Four out of five are this bad. Is this typical? This can not be good for light quality and transmition.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/whatthefudge005/IMG_2512.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/whatthefudge005/IMG_2510.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/whatthefudge005/IMG_2511.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

painless

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is this what I should expect? (big pics)

CREE Q5 mounted on 18mm star from Kaidomain. Qty 5

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first and last pictures are the same. The second one isn't that bad, and the other two show mild dome delamination.

Also, the forum limit is 800*600 pixels.

painless

Newly Enlightened

OK I will delete the last pic, sorry.
Regardless, is this what YOU would expect as acceptable for NEW?????? and be happy with it??

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm, i dunno about how bad those are as far as LEDs go. Fire them up, are there any artifects? etc?

Crenshaw

PS: are you sure those arent just an excuse to show how good you are at macros? :nana:

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX and KD don't pack their LEDs very well and are very easily damaged. Cree = broken glass domes. SSC= busted bond wires and or cut domes.

Also you should note that the forum states 800x600 as a limit for picture sizes.

painless

Newly Enlightened
SORRY for posting in another place. Just looking for quick responses to this question. And thank you for your replies. Will reduce pic size in future

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
SORRY for posting in another place. Just looking for quick responses to this question. And thank you for your replies. Will reduce pic size in future

No excuse for double/cross posting most if not all forums frown upon double/cross posting.

Get in touch with KD and tell them about your LEDs they should get you some new ones. Those are not normal.

painless

Newly Enlightened

Crenshaw
I'll give them a run on my bench DC power supply.
And thanks for the compliment.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK I will delete the last pic, sorry.
Regardless, is this what YOU would expect as acceptable for NEW?????? and be happy with it??

Yes. I have used LEDs worse than those. These are shipped on stars from Kaidomain, yes? Meaning not in the protection of the reel, just in that under-inflated pink bubble wrap. Frankly it surprises me that anything packed like that can make it halfway around the world and still be functional. If you want LEDs shipped well-protected, you have to buy bare emitters which come in reel packaging or buy stars from Cutter. (I have never bought stars from PhotonFanatic or LiteMania)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Meaning not in the protection of the reel, just in that under-inflated pink bubble wrap. Frankly it surprises me that anything packed like that can make it halfway around the world and still be functional.
I bought some bare emitters from DX and they were packed similarly, but at least the SSC emitters were still in the reel casings.
The loose red LEDs somehow survived the trip and were usable, at least until I fried one with too much power :poof:

If you want LEDs shipped well-protected, you have to buy bare emitters which come in reel packaging or buy stars from Cutter. (I have never bought stars from PhotonFanatic or LiteMania)
PhotonFanatic ships his items very well protected. I bought some emitters and optics from him and they were foam wrapped, placed inside a pair of taped up hard plastic bottle caps (think clamshell) and then in a bubble envelope. I would assume he ships his stars the same way.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhotonFanatic ships his items very well protected. I bought some emitters and optics from him and they were foam wrapped, placed inside a pair of taped up hard plastic bottle caps (think clamshell) and then in a bubble envelope. I would assume he ships his stars the same way.

My Litemania emitters came in reel packaging in a little solo salad dressing cup in a box, so the stars are probably done in the same manner.