Any good 1xAAA or 2xAAA LED flashlights?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I just met an American friend, I just know him for a week since he just came to Belgium for a temporary job. He's an engineer and takes care of the maintenance of machines, so he needs a good flashlight which is waterproof and shockproof. In the USA he always used a Streamlight stylus LED flashlight, which is a pen-size flashlight running on 3 AAAA cells and giving around 10 lumens (advertised brightness, I think it's a little lower in reality).

He can not find this flashlight in Belgium and I told him I can look for a good flashlight for him. So what can you guys recommend? I showed him my Fenix L0P with flupic, 10440 li-ion battery and Cree XR-E R2/WG LED and he was very impressed by the brightness (around 150 lumens). I think for him it's better to have a lower output flashlight with a longer runtime since he needs it for close-up work and has to use it for several hours a day. But it might be cool as well if he can select a high mode, because sometimes he needs a lot of light, yet for a short time.

The preferred battery size is AAA. NiMH or 10440 li-ion is fine. 1AAA or 2AAA size is good.

Please post your recommendations :)

Cheers!
Raf

m16a

Enlightened
I'd recommend that he get a Fenix L0D-Q4 from fenix-store. With a NiMh, he'll get 75 lumens from a single AAA battery, but also has lower, longer running levels, can always go higher if he buys 10440. Its a well thought of light and its small and compact, and will go a long way towards assisting your friend. Good luck:thumbsup:

m16a

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Fenix L0PSE and Streamlight Stylus Pro every single day, they are 1 and 2 AAA lights respectively and they are my current faves. AAA lights have long been my favorite form.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L0D-Q4 w/three o.p. levels, or Tiablo MA1 w/two o.p. levels. these two are my favorite AAA flashlights. IMO, skip the single level Tiablo A1.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Either the Fenix L0P or the LiteFlux LF2X.
The LF2X has many more programming options, but in real use (after doing your programming) your just twist it to P1 or P2, each with a predefine brightness level.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF2 or LF2x, especailyl if he's using it for hours a day, he may want to define a custom brightness level that will give him the runtime he needs. Many lights like the L0D etc. have low levels that are way too bright, and power-hungry.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
There's always the E01; certainly a lot easier to keep fed than his 3xAAAA light. No high mode, but it certainly meets the durability requirement.

1dash1

Enlightened
Erasmus:

Forgive me for digressing, but if you choose the LOD, please be careful about using 10440's.

Reference: Fenix LOD thread

Many members have reported using 10440's without having encountered any problems. Presumably, they exercise appropriate care when undertaking such risks. You should, too.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he is willing to use a 2AAA light, then he should consider a 1AA light such as a Nitecore D10. It might have a larger diameter, but it is shorter.

Last edited:

john46268

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Fenix L0D-Q4. Can't go wrong. I carry one at all times.

Happy Lighting! :candle:

p.s. You can carry a spare eneloop and not even know it's there!

Last edited:

Latest posts