throw... DBS vs Mag/Malkoff?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I'm intent on getting a decent thrower... size is not a real issue but I want to keep it to a two-cell (primaries) light. My options are a Dereelight DBS V2 and modifying one of my existing 2D or 3D maglites with a Malkoff drop-in and stock reflector.

The Mag option is half the price of the Dereelight, but which is gonna be the better thrower? I'm talking more the range rather than sheer light output, and want to keep it to these two lights (since they're both upgradeable/ futureproof). Thanks.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
mag aspheric , its cheaper and should throw a lot further than malkoff/dbs...but of the 2 you mention the DBS has more throw

pipspeak

Enlightened
Thanks... I ruled out the KD cree/aspheric kit because I'd then have to get a new bezel to headstand the Mag and I'm after a hassle-free upgrade.

Anyone know of a DBS Q5 and Mag/malkoff beamshot side-by-side? My search was futile but I'm curious how much extra light the $60+ of the DBS will get me.

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
OK, I got the Malkoff and after getting used to the color of the beam compared to my M-1T and Hocus Focus, I really like this mod. My mag is about 5-6 years old, and I was thinking about lens/reflector upgrades. I'd like this light to be my thrower, and it's just slightly better than the hocus focus at about 75 yards. I'd also consider the aspheric lens.

Suggestions?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the DBS would have more throw then the Malkoff Maglite drop-in. This is due to the deeper reflector of the DBS collection and focusing more light into the hotspot then the shallower Maglite reflector. But this also means the Malkoff will have a wider spill beam.

righty

Newly Enlightened
O own both. The Malkoff has a beautifull beam that is usefull for searching. The Dbs has a VERY NARROW beam. It is on my rifle and works very well for lighting things up, in my rifle scope.

I only use the DBS for things far away. I use the Malkoff for everything. IT IS VERY VERSITAL.

I am glad I have both as they are both great at different things, If I could ownly own one of these two lights, I would buy the Malkoff. I also have the Malkoff 60flood. It is awesome. Short wide beam.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm trying to find StefanFS's comparison but I thought that he also tested a mag with malkoff or a mag with custom driver and LED. I thought that the DBS beat the mag fairly easily if I remember correctly. The mag reflector just isn't deep enough for ideal throw.

Glowjob

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the Q5 mag drop in from KD and SKU 12834 from Dx ($30 + $5 + $20 = $55, or $35 you already have a mag). I got those as well as a Malkoff 3D drop in. While the Malkoff is better designed and built, the KD drop in is a little brighter and half the price. Also since the malkoff bulb is built higher than the KD ver, its a little more tricky to get that perfect focal distance for maximum throw. To make a comparison, KD/DX combo has double the throw of my $130 rapidfire spear.

Some problems you might have with the Mag is that you get the typical square hotspot of the magnified Led and if you don't cover up the reflector with some white paper or something, then all of the light it reflects will make for a really ugly beam pattern. On top of that the KD drop in is such a tight fit that now it seems its in there permanently.

On the plus side, you can still focus your beam from decent flood to insane throw. Gimme til night fall and I'll upload some comparison pics of the spear and the mag. I painted the paper covering the reflector with some v10 glow paint and put in a homemade glow ring of another color to give it some personality as well. Looks like a glowing crystal ball now....sorry to get all ADD on you...I don't take ritalin during the summer.

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
I'm intent on getting a decent thrower... size is not a real issue but I want to keep it to a two-cell (primaries) light. My options are a Dereelight DBS V2 and modifying one of my existing 2D or 3D maglites with a Malkoff drop-in and stock reflector.

The Mag option is half the price of the Dereelight, but which is gonna be the better thrower? I'm talking more the range rather than sheer light output, and want to keep it to these two lights (since they're both upgradeable/ futureproof). Thanks.

Check post #11 & 26 of this thread : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194716 for some comparison beamshots.

Glowjob

Newly Enlightened
Top of Mag
top.jpg

glowing
crystalball.jpg

Control at ~50 feet
control.jpg

aspheric mag
mag.jpg

RapidFire spear
rapidfire.jpg

The flood of the spear is much more useful, but can't compete with the mags throw. Dont let the pictures fool you, the mag throws twice as far as the spear. In fact, the spear is just bright enough to faintly light up the houses atop a mountain behind my house while the mag's square led shape lights them up quite nicely. I tried to put up pictures of it but the distance is just too far for my camera to pick anything up at that distance ~200+ meters?...

Since you already have the mag, I highly reccomend getting the drop-in/aspheric lens combo. You will not be dissapointed.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Thanks all.. the DBS does indeed outthrow the malkoff but apparently only with the smooth reflector. Good to know. But that wacky square hotspot of the asperhic is growing on me. Anyone know a source for taller D-cell maglite bezels for headstanding the aspheric?

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the Q5 mag drop in from KD and SKU 12834 from Dx ($30 + $5 + $20 = $55, or $35 you already have a mag). I got those as well as a Malkoff 3D drop in. While the Malkoff is better designed and built, the KD drop in is a little brighter and half the price. Also since the malkoff bulb is built higher than the KD ver, its a little more tricky to get that perfect focal distance for maximum throw. To make a comparison, KD/DX combo has double the throw of my $130 rapidfire spear.

Some problems you might have with the Mag is that you get the typical square hotspot of the magnified Led and if you don't cover up the reflector with some white paper or something, then all of the light it reflects will make for a really ugly beam pattern. On top of that the KD drop in is such a tight fit that now it seems its in there permanently.

On the plus side, you can still focus your beam from decent flood to insane throw. Gimme til night fall and I'll upload some comparison pics of the spear and the mag. I painted the paper covering the reflector with some v10 glow paint and put in a homemade glow ring of another color to give it some personality as well. Looks like a glowing crystal ball now....sorry to get all ADD on you...I don't take ritalin during the summer.

So are you saying that if you have the Malkoff the aspheric lens is not recommended? I've got all kinds of lights and would like the Malkoff to be a real thrower.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the price of malkoffs at below $60 i would buy another and ask gene if he could swap the seoul for cree r2 preferably if you can get it , then you got a more potent thrower with the aspheric..kd is 7-800ma the malkoff is 1-1.1amp

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
with the price of malkoffs at below $60 i would buy another and ask gene if he could swap the seoul for cree r2 preferably if you can get it , then you got a more potent thrower with the aspheric..kd is 7-800ma the malkoff is 1-1.1amp

I'd prefer a 4-5 dollar lens to another drop in!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
the aspheric lens only works with cree , the malkoff has seoul

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
the stock reflector is best, you can get a ucl lens but its not gonna improve drastically to double but the ucl is better than plastic stock lens...not much you can do unless get another drop-in whether kd kit or new light

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
the stock reflector is best, you can get a ucl lens but its not gonna improve drastically to double but the ucl is better than plastic stock lens...not much you can do unless get another drop-in whether kd kit or new light

I'll check the KD. Thanks for the tips!

Freddy

Newly Enlightened

I guess I should assume there are no drop ins that are driven as hard as Gene's? I've got 6 3d mags that I bought at a close out store and a burnin hole in my pocket!

Glowjob

Newly Enlightened
@ Freddy,

about the malkoff + aspheric lens: It still looks good, its just that you'll get a floody to floodier beam. To get that "square" hotspot you would need to unscrew the mag head past the point where the treads grip. In all honesty its a more practical combo but if your like me, sometimes you just want pure throw!