Are you "distributed computing"? "folding or seti"

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you \"distributed computing\"? \"folding or seti\"

I am wondering how many of you run distributed computing projects on your machine.

I used to run "seti at home", but shortly after, I found "folding at home", and it seemed much more worthy of my spare CPU cycles, so I've been running it now.

What about you?

Kristofg

Enlightened
Re: Are you

I'm currently running the united devices agent from grid.org. A program to test molecules to find a medication to combat cancer.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

New team CPF with number 32102 has been founded by logicnerd411
(The team page will link to homepage at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ and link to a logo graphic at
Any client program can contribute to the statistics for this team by putting the number in the team field
(right-click to configure a client program)

Just put in that number in your control panel, and you're good to go!

Dan

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Kristofg* I am looking into grid.org, it looks worthy of some cycles as well.

*logicnerd411* Thanks for starting a CPF team. That had not occurred to me. There are so many members here, that we will make a formidable team. I will join, as I think it will move my completed work units over to the team statistics.

Groovy.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you \"distributed computing\"?

It doesn't look like my stats will move over to the team, but I set-up my client so that any further WUs will be credited to the team.

Anyone interested in joining the CPF team can look into it at:
http://folding.stanford.edu/
The team number is: 32102 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gifJOIN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gifJOIN

You can download the client at:
http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

I recommend the "Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP "No-nonsense" text-only console", the 3rd on down on the list. I run it constantly, and it is a little more efficient, and faster to process a work unit, since it spends no processor power rendering pretty graphics.
The screen-saver version, of course, only runs while your machine is inactive.
I leave my machine on 24/7 anyway, which is why I decided it should be doing something to help science cure diseases rather than sit and do nothing.
I run the text-only client, and I don't notice a performance hit on my machine. (And I am running an ancient 1.1 GHz TBird)

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay, I think I've got the folding thing running on my linux machine. I used a username of binky, though I never signed up or anything, just entered that rather than [Anonymous] upon startup, and I entered the 32102 as the group name.

I think there's already a binky user registered. Oh well. I hope my cpu's (both in this box) contribute to the CPF rating and if not oh well, at least maybe to the protein research.

[ QUOTE ]

Arguments: -config

[22:15:31] - Ask before connecting: No
[22:15:31] - User name: Anonymous (Team 0)
[22:15:31] - User ID = 28A742BA34833A39
[22:15:31] - Machine ID: 1
[22:15:31]
[22:15:31] Configuring Folding@home...

User name [Anonymous]? binky
Team Number[0]? 32102
Ask before fetching/sending work [no] (yes/no)?
Use proxy [no] (yes/no)?
Change advanced options [no] (yes/no)?
[22:15:54] - Ask before connecting: No
[22:15:54] - User name: binky (Team 32102)
[22:15:54] - User ID = 28A742BA34833A39
[22:15:54] - Machine ID: 1
[22:15:54]
[22:15:54] Loaded queue successfully.
[22:15:54] + Benchmarking ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Any config advise is welcome of course. I'm a compleat distrib newbie. I don't see my username showing up in the CPF stats window at the folding stats page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened

I've set up folding with the CPF team number and I'm using the same name I use here. Looks like I'm the 3rd one to join, can't tell until they update the team page.

Wylie

Enlightened

I guess not I don't even know what you guys are talking about.
Okay I just briefed myself and know what is going on with these things now. Anybody got anything with works on magnetism?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

* binky *
What you have posted looks right. That's how mine is set up. You won't show up on the page until it returns a work unit.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
Anybody got anything with works on magnetism?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I don't understand the question.

There are many distributed computing projects. As far as I'm aquainted with it, most are helping universities with scientific research of one kind or another.
A few projects try to find new Mersenne prime numbers.

!EDIT! Heres one: G.I.M.P.S.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is offering a $100,000 award to the first person or group to discover a ten million digit prime number.

There is one site that I saw before that had software trying to crack a new encryption technology. The site's owner would split the prize money (I think it was $10,000) with the person who was lucky enough to have the code crack on their machine. The owner wrote the cracking software, so he got half. The company that had the new encryption technology wanted to know how much effort and time it took to crack it.

!EDIT! the website that did this is http://www.distributed.net/
They have a current running project, it looks like, called -RC5. The prize is $10,000, divided among the individual, team, charity (lame), and the site.

Willmore

Enlightened

I've been working on GIMPS (www.mersenne.org) for years. I believe we hold the title of discoverer of 4 out of the 5 largest prime numbers.

It's a little 'blue sky', but much less so than SETI and has more social value than distributed.net, but much less than the protein folding or cancer research previously mentioned.

The big question to ask yourself before joining these projects is 'is the power I'll spend running this code on my computer worth more or less than the proposed benefit to the project?' If the power is worth more, turn the PC off and send the group a check.

Saaby

Flashaholic

OK I know I should go back and read lest this has already been mentioned but...

Prime numbers? Why aern't we figureing out Pi to the quadzillionth digit??