Stock Surefire G2L or add Malkoff M60LL ?

Niconical

Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2L on the way to me, bought on the MarketPlace.

Looking at a runtime chart for the stock Surefire G2L (thank you Chevrofreak), it seems the G2L will run for around 4.5 hours before dropping off, at a stated 80 lumens.

The Malkoff M60LL states the same 80 lumens, but with a full output of 8 hours. I'm no expert, but I assume that this longer time is due to the Malkoff using a better LED than the Surefire.

Although I have 2 Surefires on the way to me, and 1 Malkoff, I have never actually seen the beam on a G2L/6PL, nor have I seen any of the Malkoffs.

If the Surefire is a good beam, then the 4.5 hours runtime instead of a possible 8 Malkoff hours isn't a problem for me. 4.5 hours is more than enough for my needs, although more is always better of course.

So, this is my question: Is it worth putting a $75 (cost + shipping) Malkoff M60LL in a $40 light, or is the Surefire good enough to be left as it is?

Thank you :)

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
I have had both and currently have a G2 w/ M60L in it, unless you have extra cash laying around, play with the stock G2L for a while, then decide if you need/want upgrade... main difference is tint in my experience... Even if you get the malkoff later you've stretched out the fun...

generic808

Enlightened
One thing to keep in mind, as mentioned above, is the tint. All the Surefire P60L's that I've seen have always been on the cool side, with some being straight up purplish :shakehead All the Malkoff's I've seen have always been on the neutral side. So, it boils down to a matter of preference. The P60L is good enough, but if you want the best, Malkoff is the only way to go :twothumbs

Niconical

Enlightened
The P60L is good enough, but if you want the best, Malkoff is the only way to go :twothumbs

I'm swaying towards the Malkoff, but it needs some thought because 1 Malkoff in 1 G2L costs more than 2 G2Ls.

However, as you know (Generic808), I want to move away from cheap and quantity and more towards less, but quality.

I would imagine that once I see the Malkoff M60, I'm likely to want the LL version in the G2L.

I can see myself ending up with a collection of unused Surefire P60 incan/LED units, all made homeless by Malkoff!

zven

Enlightened
I've made the same consideration myself, between getting the M60LL or sticking with the P60L in my G2L. And between those, I always stuck with the P60L, as the better tint and runtime of the M60LL weren't worth the increase in price (especially since it would be rendering the ~$40 P60L module useless and shelved).

That said, it really depends on what you want from a light. As mentioned above, the tint is likely to be noticeably different between the two modules (I do find the M60 series to be much more pleasing than the SF modules; more "white", better color rendition, etc.). Another thing is beam pattern. The SF gives you a hotspot fading to flood, then a harsh line to dark (the flood is still a decently wide angle, of course). The Malkoff has the hotspot, which fades to flood, which fades imperceptibly to dark; there is no detectible line where the emitter is not casting any light. I'd say the gradual fade of the Malkoff is generally more useful, but it's really a personal thing (it's a true toss-up in my own preferences). And finally, beam quality. The P60L gives you a tight, smooth hotspot, fading perfectly into the seamless flood, with no artifacts, rings, etc. whatsoever (just the sharp line of where the spill ends). The M60 (non-F) series gives you a hotspot with a possible dark spot in its center, and rings that can be noticed on a white wall, and occasionally when panning the beam across an area.

Both modules are very high quality, and either will serve you very well. Personally, though, I'd recommend against spending the money on the M60LL, since you'll already have the P60L (unless you really need the extra runtime). Instead, I'd spend the money on the M60L or M60LF. Both are hugely brighter than the P60L, have the same or better runtime, and still work with the plastic body of the G2L. And might I say, despite its lack of serious throw, the room-lighting flood of the M60LF is VERY cool.

HeadShot

Newly Enlightened
I could not agree more with you, zven.

All my plastic G2s use Surefire P60L modules, but my alloy 6Ps use either Cree R2 or Malkoff M60 plugins. Maybe i will get an M60L for the new G2L with the alloy head...
greetz,
georg

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can tell you that for me, the Malkoff M60LL in G2's (I have 5 in yellow G2's for "general" use, BOB's, and such) are what I like! My M60L's in black G2's aren't too bad either! But then, nothing compares to the M60's in my 6P's! As you may be able to tell, I think very higly of Gene's "drop-in's".

If you can afford them, go with the Malkoff's. I can tell you that I don't regret it and I doubt you will either (Then give the P60L's to "friends" with incan. 6/9P's, or keep it as a spare!).

My .02 FWIW