Rural mailbox vandalism solution - 300 lb mailbox?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live on an unlit rural road in an area where mailbox vandals strike regularly during the summer. Seems to be kids with nothing better to do late at night.

My neighbor was struck a month ago. His steel tube support kept getting pulled out of the ground and left in the ditch. He since put some bolts at the bottom of the tube and cemented the post.

Last weekend, Sunday night, it was my turn. Mine is a plastic Step 2 mailbox with a blow molded top that slides onto a bottom support. It was mounted on a 4X4 post that wasn't pressure treated, and apparently a good kick broke the post just below ground level. It was then thrown into the ditch.

I decided to beef up my mailbox. I dug out the old non-cemented post and dug a larger post hole, wider at the bottom. The post is now a 2 1/2" square steel tube, 1/4" wall, with an extension welded to the bottom. I used (3) 50# bags of concrete.

I thought I was done, but when I remounted the mailbox, it was unsatisfyingly flexy, and a kick could easily break the top half of the 2-piece unit from the bottom.

I decided to go all out. I cut some openings in the underside of the blow-molded mailbox top and support bottom. I hand-filled and settled a total of 300# of reinforced concrete into both parts, reassembled, and drilled and bolted the top half to the bottom with 10 SS bolts.

I let it cure for half a day, and wheeled it down the drive nearly popping the tires of my dolly. Trying to position such a top-heavy thing correctly on top of the steel post, and mount using (2) 3/8" SS bolts is a frightening, death-defying, herniating feat. I could have used a little help.

In a few days when the concrete fully cures, I do believe it will be rock solid - a total sleeper. Pity the fool who attacks it next.

I making one more improvement - instead of the fender washers on the (2) 3/8" bolts that mount the plastic bottom to the post, I'm making a 3 X 20" steel channel that will sandwich the bottom and increase rigidity.

I do have one concern though - what if someone hits it with a car? If it's intentional, ha ha, I dream of it. But if it's an accident, it could total a car I'm afraid, and cause undue injury. I've done my best to fasten the top to the bottom so the top won't separate and become a 150# projectile. Hopefully nobody hits it that doesn't mean it harm.

EDIT: pics added

This is of the 2 1/2" steel tubing curing in concrete. The (4) 1/2" square tubing welded to the sides are to make it dimensionally the same as the original 4 X 4 wood post (cell phone pic):
postnl0.jpg

This is with the box mounted and the rear cover removed:
dsc1359bl7.jpg

Here is the front steel channel that replaced the fender washers securing the unit to the post:
dsc1360pa1.jpg

And this last pic shows the 5-per-side bolts securing the top to the bottom:
dsc1362es4.jpg

Access holes for filling with concrete are on the undersides and not visible.

I've given it a good shaking and the unit is quite rigid. The entire pad can be wiggled a bit but the post/box does not flex at all. I may dig out and add more concrete around the base.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
That sounds entertaining but a cheap remote vidcam and some IR leds would identify the vandals a lot easier.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a problem with people vandalizing mail boxes in our old neighborhood. My fathers solution was to take an old nitrios bottle, chop the front off, weld on a door and weld the tank to a 2X3 rail about 7 feet long. It was mounted real deep in the ground in case someone decided to use the car. Well a few week later there were broken bat parts everywhere. We NEVER had any more problems after that.:laughing:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LZ, gotta show us some pictures....just for the accomplishment. You also wonder if "they" will now make you the gang challenge. Not a bad idea with the IR triggered hidden video. I would also do an IR post movement alarm sensor, and have lighting pop on...and consider Claymores with movement trip wires. LOL!

Save all your receipts if it does come to police action recoving damages.

Hopefully you won't have a winter snowplow incident. They trash a fair share of roadside items.

aussiebob

Enlightened
Last christmas eve our letterbox was pulled from the ground 20kg of cement and all and thrown through our neighbours window.

Great thing to wake up to on Christmas eh.

I hate when people do these stupid things.

Weve also had it run over several times by idiots in cars, i think im gunna make one like yours, damn it would be funny to se some idiot crash their car into that.:devil: HAHAHAHA

BVH

Flashaholic
We had the same problem on our rural route. Hit 4 times. Finally got the Post Office to install their own multi-unit steel mailbox. Never had another incident.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually mailboxes coming loose and going through the windshield has been one of the primary safety concerns over the years. As long as it stays anchored it should be ok.

Daekar

Enlightened
Someone else did the same thing with their mailbox - 1/4" steel plate, welded, etc. The little idiots drove through, hitting it with a baseball bat as they went by. I believe the guy swinging went to the hospital! Got what was coming to him...:shakehead

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paint it with high reflective paint. Actually, thick Red-White or Yellow-Red stripes will do. However it may reduce it's sleeper-ness :grin2: factor.

Then take some pictures pleasee!!!

I do have one concern though - what if someone hits it with a car? If it's intentional, ha ha, I dream of it. But if it's an accident, it could total a car I'm afraid, and cause undue injury. I've done my best to fasten the top to the bottom so the top won't separate and become a 150# projectile. Hopefully nobody hits it that doesn't mean it harm.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard this on another forum, guy got sick of loosing mailbox, build one out of thick steel pipe and big concret base, a couple of days later he saw front half of a broken aluiminum baseball bat lying in ditch, never had a problem since.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mail box is on my house so this really doesn't apply to me but... I always thought of an idea for this problem..

What if you took a big mail box... stuffed it with cement and placed a small mail box inside. Basically it'll just look like the big one with a BIG surprize!!!! :)

Don't even know if it's feasible but this reminded me of it LOL

unclearty

Enlightened
Guy out in my neck of the woods had the same problem. Turns out he was a metal fabricator by trade. Formed a new mailbox out of rolled steel..painted..looked perfectly normal. Drove a steel pipe about 6 feet down..filled it with concrete..welded new mailbox on. His wife painted a butterfly and their house # on it. About 1 week goes by..1 am he gets woken up by a loud noise and screaming. The little morons were riding in a convertible..front passenger takes a swing at this Fort Knox mailbox...bat breaks and the big piece flies back and hits his friend in the back seat...in the face..bad. The swinger shattered his elbow. The were outside the guys house yelling when the police showed up. Cops also found a video camera on the back floor. They had been doing this for awhile..videotaping it all and putting the video on the internet. Ahh...to be young and stupid

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
I love reading all the solutions people come up with. I suppose it's a good thing more vandals don't have access to shaped charges...

We never had problems keeping our mailbox in place, but some idiots would spraypaint an arrow on the side every hunting season. One of the drawbacks of living on a long driveway, I guess.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
We always used a old car spring or two welded together.
Looked good and stopped people hitting it with there old farm trucks

IcantC

Enlightened
Guy out in my neck of the woods had the same problem. Turns out he was a metal fabricator by trade. Formed a new mailbox out of rolled steel..painted..looked perfectly normal. Drove a steel pipe about 6 feet down..filled it with concrete..welded new mailbox on. His wife painted a butterfly and their house # on it. About 1 week goes by..1 am he gets woken up by a loud noise and screaming. The little morons were riding in a convertible..front passenger takes a swing at this Fort Knox mailbox...bat breaks and the big piece flies back and hits his friend in the back seat...in the face..bad. The swinger shattered his elbow. They were still outside the guys house yelling and crying when the police showed up. Cops also found a video camera on the back floor. They had been doing this for awhile..videotaping it all and putting the video on the internet. Ahh...to be young and stupid

Ah Karma.

To the OP, what about those battery powered cameras that run by motion detector to avoid battery drain?

I do hope they get caught and also break something.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take some pics as I finish the last modification to the mount today.

Ah Karma.

To the OP, what about those battery powered cameras that run by motion detector to avoid battery drain?

I do hope they get caught and also break something.

I tried to devise a relatively inexpensive means of video taping the culprits and prosecuting them, but it would have to be self-powered and capable of capturing in near complete darkness. It would need to be active from about 2 - 6 AM, or motion activated.

If anyone has specifics as to how this might be accomplished I'd love to do it.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take some pics as I finish the last modification to the mount today.

I tried to devise a relatively inexpensive means of video taping the culprits and prosecuting them, but it would have to be self-powered and capable of capturing in near complete darkness. It would need to be active from about 2 - 6 AM, or motion activated.

If anyone has specifics as to how this might be accomplished I'd love to do it.

Wildlife cameras. Available at Gander Mountain. Cabela's as well.

They are exactly what you want. Motion sensing, capture in darkness, self-powering

Here's one at Cabela's.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if you put it on a swivel mount, so it swing around when hit? People up here do it so their mailbox doesn't get taken out by snowplow in winter.

It's like this:
Code:
 _
| |
-------------
         =
         |
        /|\