Surefire LED Lights

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havn't purchased a Surefire LED since the original L1 until yesterday because I really didn't like the beam quality. My new G2 Led arrived yesterday and it is excellent. I was wondering if the E1L has the same beam characteristics. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Nick

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The E1L would have more hotspot and less spill. This is due to the optic. How it compares to the P60L, I'm not completely sure.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the difference will be (as I have found it anyway), E1L is ALL spot and NO spill (I admit it, I HATE all of these SF all hotspot, no spill beams); as compared to the P60L that has a VERY USEFUL spill and hotspot. Not even close for me, and NO, they do not compare at all.

Now, if you REALLY want to make that G2 shine, get a Malkoff M60L for it. Then you're really talking!

My .02 FWIW YMMV

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
If E series (and L1) beams are putting you off but you like the size/style/feel fo the light, you could always get an F04 diffuser for them. It'll turn that hotspot into a wall of light for close up use and the rubber will protect the bezel from wear and tear.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually do have F04's for my L1 & E2L, but I have a REAL problem with $100 + flashlights needing a filter to get some spill. I also don't like the way I lose ALL of my hotspot when it is on, so I guess I'm saying it STILL doesn't make them "work right" for me.

I have too many flashlights that work properly (at least for me, YMMV) to be "bothered" with these lights further. I really wanted to like them, but it "ain't gonna happen".

My .02 FWIW

ksc73164

Newly Enlightened
IMHO the difference will be (as I have found it anyway), E1L is ALL spot and NO spill (I admit it, I HATE all of these SF all hotspot, no spill beams); as compared to the P60L that has a VERY USEFUL spill and hotspot. Not even close for me, and NO, they do not compare at all.

Now, if you REALLY want to make that G2 shine, get a Malkoff M60L for it. Then you're really talking!

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Does your E1L have the old KL1 head or a new KX1 head? The KL1 is all spot and no spill, but the KX1 (and KX2 on the E2L) have useful spill.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you call it useful spill, HOWEVER I DON'T. Useful spill (for me anyway) is such as you get from a SF 6/9P series (throw in a Malkoff and YES!, now that's some REAL output!), 2008 Inova T series (not the pre-2007 series), SF L2/L4 (now THAT's some "spill"!) or any light that has some actual "spill" to the beam (at least for me, YMMV).

I realize that everyone "sees" things differently, however the new SF E series is "found lacking" by me (YMMV), much like the old (pre-2007) Inova T series, which I seem to remember (back then) people complaining about the lack of spill, but when SF does it, it's the "greatest", which I just don't buy into.

I don't dislike SF's, as a matter of fact I have about 20 of them (and SF's ARE my favorite flashlight's), my first 3 SF's I bought were in 1995 (6P's and a 9P) and I carry 2 SF's "on-duty" and 1 "off-duty", almost always, ever since.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

scottaw

Enlightened
If you don't like the L1 beam, send it to Milky for a reflector mod, makes an AWESOME beam, even better than the 120P and that's saying a LOT.

alibaba

Enlightened
Perhaps you call it useful spill, HOWEVER I DON'T. Useful spill (for me anyway) is such as you get from a SF 6/9P series (throw in a Malkoff and YES!, now that's some REAL output!), 2008 Inova T series (not the pre-2007 series), SF L2/L4 (now THAT's some "spill"!) or any light that has some actual "spill" to the beam (at least for me, YMMV).
I realize that everyone "sees" things differently, however the new SF E series is "found lacking" by me (YMMV), much like the old (pre-2007) Inova T series, which I seem to remember (back then) people complaining about the lack of spill, but when SF does it, it's the "greatest", which I just don't buy into.
I don't dislike SF's, as a matter of fact I have about 20 of them (and SF's ARE my favorite flashlight's), my first 3 SF's I bought were in 1995 (6P's and a 9P) and I carry 2 SF's "on-duty" and 1 "off-duty", almost always, ever since.
My .02 FWIW YMMV

[/quote] I actually do have F04's for my L1 & E2L, but I have a REAL problem with $100 + flashlights needing a filter to get some spill. I also don't like the way I lose ALL of my hotspot when it is on, so I guess I'm saying it STILL doesn't make them "work right" for me.

I have too many flashlights that work properly (at least for me, YMMV) to be "bothered" with these lights further. I really wanted to like them, but it "ain't gonna happen".
My .02 FWIW [/quote]

OK, point made.

For the OP, the original L1 has a pretty low output and a squareish beam with NO spill. The current L1 and (cree/dual-level) E-series optics are MUCH improved over the old model L1. I own an E1B, which has the same optic as the E1L, and find the spill to be useful..............even on low. True it is not as floody/spilly as a reflector based light (like your G2L) but it has greater throw to make up for it. I suggest that you try one out at a store B4 you buy one just to make sure it'll work for you but the new TIR optics are truly superior to the older models in terms of useable spill light.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
scottaw, I have thought about that (I still think a $100 + light shouldn't NEED to have that done though), as I do like (very much actually!) my NovaTac 120's and 85. Perhaps "one of these days"! But yes, that's a GREAT idea! Thanks