Which Light? Please dont close this thread.

mulder89

Newly Enlightened
I tried to start a thread about a week ago about which Nite Core to buy. I was pointed towards another thread and I have spent the last week reading and re reading the threads.

Now I am totally confused and now not sure if a Nite Core is what I need.

I have read that the D10 and EX10 although quoted at 100+ lumens are not as bright as some ones 65 lumen light etc etc plus there have been a heap of positive as well.

I need a small light to fit in a pocket (Shirt pocket). A clip would be nice to stop it falling out. I need a good run time and the batteries should really be AA and I need something bright as I will be in darkness obviously with no reflected light other than the moon and stars and need a light to light things up pretty brightly at 60 feet for inspections I do. I would like it to be a LED light. Price has to be reasonable too as I don't want to spend a fortune.

I would like people with flash lights that fit this criteria to lend a hand in my decision if you could please.
Thanks mulder89
PS Links to the web sites of these light would be a great help.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
:welcome:

Brightness can be a matter of personal perception and not all lumens figures quoted are accurate.

For an AA powered light, the Nightcore D10 is good. If you need a pocket clip as standard, Wolf Eyes Angel A is also worth considering. As you are in Aus, you have a local Wolf Eyes dealer.

DM51

Flashaholic
There's no reason for this thread to be closed - you have given a good and sensible set of criteria for the light you are looking for: LED, AA cell, shirt pocket size, clip required, ~100 lumens, reasonable price...

I'm sure people will be able to give you some good suggestions.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know who claimed that the Nitecore is not as bright as a "known" 65 lumen light but this is false. I can safely say it is definitely putting out more light. But as HeadCSO mentioned there are some circumstances where a flashlight that is putting out less overall light (lumens) can appear to be putting out more, especially with the help of larger reflectors or more specialized lenses to intensify the hotspot like a magnifying glass.

As for a pocket clip there is supposed to be one coming real soon but I think the Nitecores are too heavy to be clipped to a shirt pocket and will probably cause it to sag. Your opinion may differ, of course, depending on the kind of shirt pocket you have.

I have a hard time estimating distance so I couldn't really say whether the Nitecore can throw 60 feet but you will find the greatest benefit from a larger reflector in a flashlight as it can throw light further.

Zenster

Enlightened
I have a hard time estimating distance so I couldn't really say whether the Nitecore can throw 60 feet but you will find the greatest benefit from a larger reflector in a flashlight as it can throw light further.

I can definitely confirm that the D10 will easily light up a working visible area more than 100 feet away.

To the OP's requirements: Forget about a pocket clip if your intent is to put the light in your shirt pocket. The D10 and any other single cell AA light is too heavy for that. You're probably thinking it will be like a pen in your shirt pocket, but it will sag and be quite uncomfortable to carry that way.
The reason I like clips on small lights is to slip them into my front pants pocket so that the light won't fall to the bottom of the pocket. For quick accessability from a pants pocket, a lanyard is just as good because you leave the lanyard hanging out (although with the lanyard, the light will be dancing with other hard items in the bottom of that pocket).

From what you want, I think you'd be extremely happy with the D10, and you'll quickly find a way to carry it that will suit you well. Note that it fits nicely into the little "change pocket" that most jeans have near the right front main pocket.
It gets great runtime, you can use 14500 rechargeables if you want "free" lumens (runs brighter on them as well), and it's UI is simple, yet easily variable by the user.

There is no "perfect" light, but there isn't much not to like about this little guy.

mulder89

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the Wolf Eyes Angel A from the Australia Distributor and its $99.50AUD without a battery or charger yet in the USA it is $92.68 with battery and charger. The conversion rate would mean that the US one in AUD would only be a few dollars less than the Australian price. If I add in postage its still cheaper to get it sent from the USA than to buy it in my own country. I cant work that out.
Thanks for the welcome Head CSO
mulder89

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I have a thread on the wolf angel a from Pacific Tactical , one of the sponsers here. This light fill all your requirements and is excellent. I bought 3 of them for my self and freinds and they love them. You will not be disappointed.

skyva

Newly Enlightened
HI, I have recently got into LED's and I am in Oz. I have an ex10 (cr123) and think it is great, having a good amount of flood at reasonable distances. At 60 feet it will light up the whole of a large 4wd, but it depends on what you mean with "bright". I think it is fine, and if you do not have good torches already, I would guess you would call it bright. I am not sure anything smaller will give you a really bright light at 60 feet across something the size of a car. I have a tk11, which is brighter but is narrower in beam and at least twice the physical size. I have a tiablo a9, and that may be too narrow at 60 feet.
I also recently received an Eastman YJ-18WF, and it is great. Smaller than the A9, about 10% bigger than the tk11, but probably a little brighter and will light up all a 4wd really well at 60 feet.
To be honest I would be happy with any one of the above.
If the ex10 is the same brightness as the d10, then I would suggest you get that and see how it goes, I doubt you will be disappointed. I am enjoying the yj-18wf as a relatively cheap bright light.
I have a zebralight H30 Q5, and it is great for a headlamp at around 15-20 feet hands free. Maybe not for you, but on my farm it is great.
You will need to import all the above, or try a local dealer, but expect to pay a bit more (although delivery will probably be a lot quicker). You should also invest in a charger and lithuim batteries to get the most out of a torch, as cr123's in OZ can be really expensive.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The best thrower I've seen in the 1AA size is the JetBeam Jet-I PRO, reviewed here. It comes with a clip and can throw the best of any 1AA light I've seen (check my signature for a round-up review of 1AA lights).

Note that the circuit of the Jet-I PRO has been replaced with a continuously variable one that should have identical performance to this now discontinued light: Jet-I MK IBS. But this won't affect your maximum output on standard batteries (alkaline and NiMH).

In my testing, I would say all the high-end lights produce about the same max overall output on standard batteries, but some are better focussed for throw than others. The NDI/D10 is quite good, but the Jet-I PRO exceeds it.

As for lighting things up at 60 feet, the Jet-I PRO will certainly reach that - but even it won't be exceptionally bright. You might want to consider one of the better throwing, higher output 1xCR123A lights like the NiteCore Extreme (not EX10) or JetBeam Jet-II IBS/PRO. Again, see that round-up review in my sig.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have heard people talk about how 60 "surefire lumens" is more than 120 "nitecore lumens," etc etc. That's wishful thinking. Most companies do exaggerate their ratings, but not to that extent. Selfbuilt estimated the D10 at 120 lumens on NiMh, and 145 on a 14500. There are two things to note though: as has been mentioned, throw is different from overall output. For example, the Surefire E1B focuses all of its light into the spot, so it throws as well as the LF5XT, which is far brighter overall. The difference is in the spill. Also, you may find some huge exagerations on dealextreme and kaidomain. Maybe some "120 lumen" DX lights are comparable to a 60lm surefire, but not 120 lumen high quality lights.

After reading all available information on lights mentioned here and many more, I purchased the Liteflux LF5XT. I highly recommend it. Beam is much smoother than any other modern CREE light I know of. Throw is very good, but doesn't stick out as close range due to the smooth beam. The interface is very easy, and even programming it can be gotten used to. Liteflux is planning to come out with a pocket clip, but has not yet. The kurling is very smooth, making it "pocket friendly", but the body design still provides good grip.

I also recently purchased the nitecore extreme, and would also recommend it for a throwy single-cell light. The only production 1xCR123A light that throws further is the JETBeam JET-II PRO IBS, but the difference is very small, and the runtime is less than half as long. Also, the extreme is build very well, and is highly waterproof, drop-resistant, etc. I personally love the UI, although I think the head is a bit too stiff.

If you want to clip the light to your shirt pocket and not put it in your pants pocket, I would remommend a AAA light. The Fenix L0D is very bright, but uses noticeable PWM if you care. It comes with a pocket clip. I recommend it because I have it and love it, and because it is the smallest AAA light I know of, but you may also want to consider the Tiablo MA1 or Liteflux LF2X, which are considerably brighter.

For reference, my most useful sources of reviews have been selfbuilt's reviews (search CPF) and Mev's reviews (light-reviews.com).

Niconical

Enlightened
It can be daunting picking a light. Not because you have to be careful to select the 1 good option from 10 bad ones, but because in most cases and most dealers, you're choosing 1 good option from 10 great ones.

If you choose a dealer who is known and liked on CPF, with a good selection, it's very unlikely you will be disappointed with your light.

Having said that, if I were choosing for you - D10 from www.4sevens.com

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help but to ask the question. What type of inspections do you have to do from 60 feet away? And then why is it that you need a small shirt pocket size flashlight that is also bright and has good run time yet is inexpensive to do it with?? ?

The light you seem to like is very expensive for what it is. You're paying for the processor technology to vary the beam output rather than have more total output.

If this inspection job is so important how is it you cannot justify a larger light with more battery power behind it?

A fenix T1 with holster is now on sale for less than $62 dollars, it has a bonafide 225 lumens on high and 55-60 lumens on low, you can clip that on your pants pocket and do some serious inspections with that better than any Nitecore.

A P3D with its various modes would work better as well. There are a half a dozen other lights I can think of, none are being suggested. Even the Fenix L2D Q5.

How long do you expect 100 plus lumens on 1 AA or less to last anyway?

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
I tend to agree with Gman and others... for "inspections" you imply decent light is needed, and at 60ft that generally means a CR123 light is gonna be a minimum, not a AA light (especially since many high-powered AA lights are not at their best using "regular" alkaline batteries).

A CR123 light is also generally going to be smaller and lighter than an AA light. Plus, buy the batteries in bulk from an online retailer and they'll be cheaper than any AA primary you can find... or just go rechargeable.

So you should look at a Nitecore EX10, a Fenix P2D, a Jetbeam Jet II, a Surefire E1B... the list is almost endless! Of those, the Fenix seems to be the most tried and trusted light for the money so far and the Surefire, as always, is a sure thing if you have the cash.

mulder89

Newly Enlightened
At the beginning of every shift I have to check over a 2 Story Truck before I drive it. Its a 240 Ton Coal truck. The truck is approx 60 foot long (give or take) and I can check on side from one position. With the light now I have to walk along the entire length of the truck. The reason I wished for the parameters I wanted was that I have to carry everything I need on me for a 12 hour shift and storage and weigh are considerations as I have to carry every thing with me for that time period. Obviously I don't carry everything all the time but I have to carry a light at all times for getting on and off the machine and the run time is a consideration as I'm away from battery supplies for over 14 hours per day and don't wish to carry a large supply and also I can have a light on in some form for 4 to 5 hours a shift. My Petzl takes care of most lighting requirements for that period of time at the moment but is not bright enough for other tasks. A clip to hold it in place so I'm not fumbling around looking for it in my pocket plus I wanted to keep the light free of other equipment that will scratch the crap out of it like Keys, locks, knives etc.
These are the reasons I am looking for that type of light.
I did look at the Zebra Headlamps but have heard some less than favourable reports about them and I need something very reliable.
Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it.
mulder89

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Would you be able to carry a light in a pouch on your belt? If so, how about a 2 AA light for sustained runtime at high output. I know others here have suggested CR123A based lights, but being in Aus, I know CR123A prices for you are high unless you buy online.

If not, a D10 is still a good choice. It is solidly made, but will eventually get scratched up in your pocket if kept with other gear. However, it is a work light so maybe just accept it.

If you do go the single AA route, definitely get some AA nimh rechargeables (Eneloops are good). As well as saving on cost, as others have mentioned here, AA alkaline won't last very long on max output (though keep a couple handy for emergencies).

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
mulder89, based on your specific application I would go with the Fenix L2D Q5 with 2 rechargeable batteries and 1 additional pair of rechargeables in my pocket as my primary choice set up. Its up over 145 lumens on turbo mode actual out the front luments, and on low mode you could probably run it for more than 20 hours at about 8 lumens output, but then you have med and high mode options as well. It doesn't have a clip but I am betting that size diameter tube you could steal one from something else that would work well and that would easily get you through your shift every night with a very versatile light.

Don't get hung up on microprocessor controlled technology for great range of adjustable output, you need more output and runtime as a higher priority than adjustable range off of 1 AA battery.

My second choice would still be the Fenix P3D with RCR123's and 1 spare pair in the pocket.

I have the L2D A5 and it is a very handy light indeed. Along with Fenix T1 and a slew of Solarforce L2 and Surefire P6 with various modules to compare against.

It comes with its own belt style holster. But I actually put it in a shorter one where most of the back end sticks out and is easier to grab.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do go the single AA route, definitely get some AA nimh rechargeables (Eneloops are good). As well as saving on cost, as others have mentioned here, AA alkaline won't last very long on max output (though keep a couple handy for emergencies).

High capacity (2700mah+) would be a better idea for this scenario- the light is going to get used every shift, which is fairly often, not left in a drawer for months on end.

IMO for 14 hours of decent light, you're looking at 2 (or more) 18650's. The TK10 might be having a 2x18650 tube done for it, or there's the 502D available from DX which is P60 compatible and holds 2 18650's.

Make sure whatever you get has multiple modes, as this will give the best balance between runtime and brightness- the L2D Q5 runs for just under 2 hours on turbo (180 emitter lumens) or 50+ hours on low (12 emitter lumens), meaning that when you need less output, you can easily switch to it, saving you carrying a larger light because you need more stored power to run it at it's single high setting for a long time.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very senior engineer friend of mine who uses various rechargeable batteries in his RC helicopter and other projects told me a short while back not to buy any AA 2700mAH rated batteries as they are no good. That they cannot in fact make a NiMH battery with that much of an ampere hour rating live up to that claim and that those batteries will actually not live as long as the 2000mAH rated ones. He has good knowledge of battery chemistries and what companies are making what, so I have no reason to doubt him.

In the meantime the L2D Q5 appears to be a good candidate with good sets of batteries if I read your last post correctly Jarl, yes?