First Nitecore purchase

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
After viewing threads about the Nitecore LED lights for a month now, I am ready to take the plunge and place an order at 4 Sevens. I like the Extreme version and the EX-10, yet I see the EX-10 has some apparent 'isues' with the switch. With mention of a "2.0" version should I wait?
I see discussion of a "new' LED at 4 Sevens. will it be appearing the the Extreme? Does it make sense to order the Extreme first and WAIT on the EX-10?

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have answers to your questions, but I feel the same way. I just received my extreme, and will be waiting for the issues to be resolved on the EX10.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an NDI, a NEX and an EX10. :cool:

My advice for starting with Nitecore is the NDI (dark or chrome) because of the three IMHO it is still the best. :)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an NDI, a NEX and an EX10. :cool:

My advice for starting with Nitecore is the NDI (dark or chrome) because of the three IMHO it is still the best. :)

Thanks! The Infinity looks good, I am comparing it to that LiteFlux because it's a AA/14500.

I like the CR/RCR123 size however. May I ask what is it about the Infinity AA/14500 that is better?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
cimg1263acf6.jpg

Personally I find the shape of the Extreme not too comfortable in the hand and because its output is not that higher than the one of the Defender I still prefer the latter. :cool:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
cimg1263acf6.jpg

Personally I find the shape of the Extreme not too comfortable in the hand and because its output is not that higher than the one of the Defender I still prefer the latter. :cool:

Thank you and Thank you for that beautiful picture.:twothumbs

Zenster

Enlightened
I had an NDI (sold it), and I currently have the D10, EX10 and the Extreme.

I'm not at all impressed with the Extreme because it's basically an NDI with CR123 (and a lot bigger in diameter as well so it's a bigger lump in the pocket).
The EX10, in fact, is brighter than the Extreme on High, and the UI of the EX10 is more capable and easier to use intuitively.

The D10 is great for those who want to stay with the AA battery, and it's just as capable as the EX10 (as bright) when you use the 14500 rechargeable. While not quite as bright with an Alkaline or Lithium primary, it's almost unnoticeably so.

I must not have been paying attention because I have no issues at all with the "switches" (they don't have switches as such) on the D10 or EX10, and I don't recall even reading about a problem with them other than user confusion. I'll look for that.

In the end, if I had to have just one Nitecore, it would be the EX10 first, or the D10 if I just "had" to run with AA's.
The EX10 is barely larger in diameter than the D10 and is much shorter, and I'd even "dare" to compare the $50 EX10 to some of the custom lights that cost hundreds more (I'll allow them to remain nameless).
I'd buy half a dozen EX10's anyday before I'd fork over that much money for any of the "custom" jobs.

As far as the Extreme goes, I'll play with it for a while, but I think it's going to find itself to be a gift to someone I know this Christmas.
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have even bought the Extreme.

My .02

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
After viewing threads about the Nitecore LED lights for a month now, I am ready to take the plunge and place an order at 4 Sevens. I like the Extreme version and the EX-10, yet I see the EX-10 has some apparent 'isues' with the switch. With mention of a "2.0" version should I wait?
I see discussion of a "new' LED at 4 Sevens. will it be appearing the the Extreme? Does it make sense to order the Extreme first and WAIT on the EX-10?
I would not advise waiting on the EX-10. Yes a few people dislike the switch on the EX-10, but it's not something that is universally an issue for all users. IMHO what you've read are a bit magnified reactions from the few.

Buy the EX-10 and see if you like it. 4sevens has a great return policy so if you don't like it you can return it. You could be waiting for sometime on a ver 2.0 which may or may not be what you like.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an NDI (sold it), and I currently have the D10, EX10 and the Extreme.

I'm not at all impressed with the Extreme because it's basically an NDI with CR123 (and a lot bigger in diameter as well so it's a bigger lump in the pocket).
The EX10, in fact, is brighter than the Extreme on High, and the UI of the EX10 is more capable and easier to use intuitively.

The D10 is great for those who want to stay with the AA battery, and it's just as capable as the EX10 (as bright) when you use the 14500 rechargeable. While not quite as bright with an Alkaline or Lithium primary, it's almost unnoticeably so.

I must not have been paying attention because I have no issues at all with the "switches" (they don't have switches as such) on the D10 or EX10, and I don't recall even reading about a problem with them other than user confusion. I'll look for that.

In the end, if I had to have just one Nitecore, it would be the EX10 first, or the D10 if I just "had" to run with AA's.
The EX10 is barely larger in diameter than the D10 and is much shorter, and I'd even "dare" to compare the $50 EX10 to some of the custom lights that cost hundreds more (I'll allow them to remain nameless).
I'd buy half a dozen EX10's anyday before I'd fork over that much money for any of the "custom" jobs.

As far as the Extreme goes, I'll play with it for a while, but I think it's going to find itself to be a gift to someone I know this Christmas.

My .02
Great post. Exactly what I was thinking as I was posting my post in this thread. And like you, I too had the NDI and got rid of it.
:goodjob:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the NDI. First of all, it retains its user memory, something that the D10 and EX10 don't. Secondly, although its switch may not be as tough as the PD switch on the EX10, it isn't tough to operate either. More than a few people are complaining about the switching on the EX10; even more are complaining with the recent batch which has some build changes that may be adversely affecting the switch movement. However, if memory retention is NOT important to you and if taill standability and slightly smaller size is important to you, take a chance and try the EX10; return it, if you don't like it.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I have an Extreme and put it through its paces in a fairly hostile desert setting for 10 days. It was run over once, dropped in a stream, rolled around in a retired deuce and a half for an hour, and was almost thrown into a camp fire by a 3 year old (it was thrown, just not in a fire). It's no worse for wear then when I brought it out there,except for some character marks and worn annodizing. Still functions fine. Waterproofing held up, and I found no dust inside the body. Here's a pic with the rest of my EDC gear:

edc.jpg

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the end, if I had to have just one Nitecore, it would be the EX10 first,

My .02

WOW! I appreciate that candid assessment even if it's contrary to my original thoughts. That's the beauty of this place! A place to learn and share. I am really suprised the EX-10 is brighter than the Extreme .