P60 Modules Focusing How-To

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 Modules Focusing How-To [UPDATED

Greetings all...

around the time I was complaining about the ringy beam of my Dereelight P60 module I found a post of a member that talked about focusing the beam of his module. So I did the same and here are the results:

Left unfocused, right focused. (desaturated )

2954mm5.jpg
2953lf1.jpg

Left unfocused, right focused. 2 stops overexposed. (desaturated)

2955yq8.jpg
2956nv3.jpg

Now the way to do it is to unscrew the pill from the module as much. To take up the slack one can use a disc shaped thingy, a self-sticking LED insulator or an O-ring as per module type....

On the left is a X-Alpha Q5 WC (SMO reflector) and on the right the Dereelight module (OP reflector).

2962oi5.jpg

BTW, focusing an SMO reflector is amazing. You get a round-round hotspot with very little spill/corona...

Word of notice about the P60 modules. To my experience they come in 2 flavors. the standard reflector depth that have a flat bottom, like the X-Alpha one. And the deep reflector ones like the Derrelight and the Solarforce ones that they have a recess on the base that the lip of the lip fixes into. (Hence the use of the O-Ring).

Also the latter are the longest ones and teamed with a high pill make the LOA of the module to long to fit in a Surefire without a resulting gap.

See this (far right is DX sku1447 which leaves a gap too):

2964yg5.jpg

Hope you found it of use, Kostas

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it seems I have found a good spacer to take out the slack when you unscrew the reflector to focus your module. This one:

igp3411iv9.jpg

(one piece is painted red for detail enhancement)

This is a spacer of flange if you like that is used in door handles. If you have a close look you will notice that it is concave (?) in profile. That mates well with the pill face.

Here is how it is when installed in a reflector (Dereelight Smooth)

1518comboba7.jpg

Installed it is a bit tall leaving a few threads to use, but it is still rigid when screwed tight and you get a beam that is superb. A bit of a side spill and a good sized hotspot that has 2 zones as seen in this simulated pic.

2954simulationqz1.jpg

I will experimenting with sanding it down and will let you know,

till then enjoy, Kostas