Inside the Inova X1 Generation 2 (with pics!)

cyberspyder

Enlightened
Took mine apart to epoxy the interior, as the lens fell off. Note to people using the freeze and pop method...compress the contact spring on the head a couple of times under water in order to fill it up completely...also, most of the time the LED will break off, so be prepared to replace the LED (with a GS :p).

dsc00531fr7.jpg

dsc00532ki2.jpg

Uh oh...LED got snapped off at the base...

dsc00534ez3.jpg

The parts (Reflector, LED, Driver board, Contact spring, Contact, Plastic insulator cap, Tailcap, Body, Battery)

dsc00533zx4.jpg

Sanded the contact flat and semi-polished it with some wet/dry sandpaper

dsc00538dx4.jpg

dsc00535ns1.jpg

Since the prongs of the dead LED was blocking the holes, an easier way to get rid of it was to ignore it entirely. Some 24 gauge stranded wire soldered onto the dead legs on the back of the board that will be connected to the new GS.

dsc00545nf8.jpg

Depression filed by an Arc AAA (bad picture I know...)! Hard Anodizing does live up to it's reputation...took some time, but the knurling manage to wear down enough material for the wires to slip through.

dsc00551vi2.jpg

Completed head assembly (missing epoxy though). Does anyone know if I can solder Stainless Steel to copper?

Brendan

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if I can solder Stainless Steel to copper?

Stainless steel does not take solder. It is the reason that I use stainless steel tweezers and tools when soldering.

The steel reflector sits on the copper area making the ground connection. If you are worried about it, add some Deoxit to enhance the connection, and prevent oxidization.