Flashlight made of wood

artar

Enlightened
kaarholztaschenla.jpg

and here is the whole link on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3125974257&category=9167

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow, this is so COOL! Although I would presume it is made for incandescent use only, though...

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
It's a door knob! It's a pepper mill! No...it's a flashlight!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Wow, this is so COOL! Although I would presume it is made for incandescent use only, though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that, there are incandescents out there that give off a lot of heat too.. (yes there are lights that don't use leds still)

Besides, I think you can put a LS in it. Just don't overdrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-YC

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! This guy looks like it's just begging for a 1 Watter.

I'd venture to guess it's not waterproof, though. Might float. I'd hate to be that switch, though. Looks more antiquated than a flashlight. Scratch resistance; can anyone say, HAIII?

I could swear it's a miniature bat and somebody just drilled the top and dropped in a battery, bulb and reflector.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
An idea whose time is long overdue!!! Anyone here good with the German language - suggest that these volks offer these in unfinished kit form; distributed through woodworker and craft outlets. The could make a killing. (of trees anyway.) Seriously though: a biodegradeable flashlight... how green can you get? Rechargeable batteries, a LED... does our resident EV fanatic know about this??

Illuminated

Enlightened
Could be quite durable, actually, if some type of exotic hardwood were used, such as that used on the soles of some high-quality wood-bodied hand planes. Now I'll have to go and look it up in the woodworking reference book.

Besides, a little wear and tear would only add character - like a favorite pair of leather loafers or baseball glove.

Just oil it up and rub it down once in a blue moon, and it'd be just fine.

John

[EDIT - Actually, I had thought of doing this for fun, but thought you guys would laugh at me]

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choice wood of Teak or Mahogany? That'll be one nice lookin' wood light. Expensive, too...

How well does protective coatings like PTFE do on wood? Or is there better protection?

Illuminated

Enlightened
Lignum Vitae was the very dense, almost black wood I was thinking of used on planes.

Described as "self lubricating" for plane soles so I think it probably has a higher than normal oil content, and might even be rather water-resistant as-is.

Ebony might also be a good choice if it cn still be obtained.

John

Empath

Flashaholic
You could polish it up the same way a pipe smoker polishes his pipe, by rubbing it against your nose.

Tomas

Banned
Reminds me in some ways of a guy who used to work for me. He had a Mini-Mag that he custom made a stitched-on, tooled leather cover for. That thing looked really neat when he popped it out of his matching tooled leather tool pouch (his screwdriver handles and everything were leather covered, also).

(Yes, Bill was a bit, uh, anal-retentive, and into leatherwork waaaaayyy too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I like the wood light, it has more personality and character than a lot of units out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
The best wood protection, at least in my case has been with Spar or Marine type polyurethane/varnish. It is used alot at the local marina by lots of boating fanatics since it affords the best moisture resistance out there. All of those tung oil/water sealer based products are oil based and require frequent re-application, and do not offer much of a finish. If you are looking for a variety of finishes (matte, satin, or glossy) then your best bet would be to use a water-based polyester polyurethane finish. It is the hardest of the polyurethanes, and is available in matte, semi-gloss, and glossy finishes. If you want to preserve the natural wood appearance without altering the finish, then the tung oil would be the way to go, provided you don't mind the frequency of re-application.
BTW: I do prefer the tung oil method myself for small items such as this since the oil does offer the best protection WITHOUT altering the natural wood finish. It is penetrating, while the others are surface coatings, and as such, usually alter the lustre/finish of the wood.

Ed.

K-T

*Moderator*
I will contact the seller and see if more of these lights are availabe. They do ship worldwide. ;-)

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
... how green can you get? Rechargeable batteries, a LED... does our resident EV fanatic know about this??

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey - as long as we aren't using rainforest wood for the thing....

I'm afriad that I single drop would do some serious damage though. A little wood putty, some sand paper, and you're back in business though. :

Wylie

Enlightened
<font color="green">VERY COOL!!! </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif and I got two EverLeds and another flashlight on the way right now. I wonder what type of credit rating a guy would need to finance one of these little gems. So how much is that in U.S. dollars anyway? Like I could afford another flashlight right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Uh oh here goes my head again, bad Wylie bad Wylie restraint, you must restrain yourself, no not the credit card, PayPal, stop that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
You guys are troublemakers when you come up with stuff like this you know it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
A lot of wood turners use super glue as a finish on small things like pens and pencils. Dribble it on, smooth it out and give it a spritz of accelerator. Fine sand with 600 wet or dry, polish with carnuba based rouge. Looks wet when done..