SF shotgunlight upgrade

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
I bought the forend shotgun light made by SF and its host is the 6P. I want to upgrade it to something brighter and more spill. Ive looked at the malkoff M60f and its got a great wall of light but im afraid that its not going to be enough throw. Is there something inbetween? Im using the shotgun for selfdefense so you would think that the M60f would work, but what if the engagement is outside at a father distance.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! I was trying to find the particular thread in here I just read the other day, but I can't find it.

Do a search for titles only on p60 drop ins and you should get plenty of good info with beamshots to read.

I have the 9P SF forend on my Remington Police 870 and love it; makes the whole gun a little heavier than expected though.

Good luck

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
What load do you use in your shotgun? If it is not compatible with a self-defense shot at your hypothetical, unspecified outdoor longer distance, then the whole issue of which Malkoff lamp to use is moot.

A poster in this thread estimates a 100 foot throw for the M60F lamp.
Can you justify the use of deadly force for a shot at someone over 30 yards away? If you are shooting buckshot, have you patterned your gun at 30 yards?

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
I will be using a type of buckshot, Havent narrowed it down yet. Hornady TAP makes some nice homedefense ammo. A shot taken a 30 yards with any buck shot will be lethal. My shotgun does not have to be dialed in at 30 yards.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 30 yds, I would say that just about any of the current crop of LED drop-ins will do. Just have to get one that works in weaponlights. Many of the P60 drop-ins have continuity problems with the weaponlights, but work fine in standard handhelds like the 6P.

The issue isn't the lethality of the pellets at 30 yds.

The deal with a 30 yard shot is that your pellet spread is potentially larger than your target, which may present a downrange risk.

Not sure what you mean that your shotgun doesn't have to be "dialed in at 30 yds". If you mean that you don't have to aim, I disagree. This isn't trap shooting, where you need only to have one pellet barely clip the clay bird. For effective self-defense, you need to have the pellets hit the key structures that produce rapid incapacitation. That requires both accuracy and projectile penetration.

For 00 buck, you have 8 or 9 .22 caliber balls. With substantial pellet spread, you also lose the synergistic effect of the multiple pellets striking the target and move toward separate .22 caliber hits. I suppose a Vang Comp'ed gun can put all of the pellets on the target, even at 30 yds. But now you really can't rely on pellet spread to get a centered hit.

My personal preference is to use a shotgun like a rifle and use slugs.

sirahren

Newly Enlightened
There's specially designed ammo (including 00 buck) that stays very tight at 30 yards.

Regardless, a light that identifies targets at 50+ yards can be a huge advantage and keep the engagement photonic as opposed to leaded.

You need to aquire a target well before you shoot at it, And you need a good light to make sure theres nothing else around said target.

Sonar and Radar both work on the premise that you need to identify your target well before theyre in weapons range; a flashlight on a shotgun at night is sorta the same idea....

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I submit that there are serious problems in using your weaponlight for general search. You have no business pointing your firearm at anything that doesn't merit shootiing, and IMO it can leave you vulnerable to a brandishing charge.

The Vang Comp backboring keeps tight groups -- for a shotgun. IMO, if you bought a pistol or rifle that grouped that poorly, you'd get rid of it. I'm aware of various Federal and other loads that use cleverly designed shot cups, buffers, hardened shot, and the like to reduce shot spread. But without backboring, I've never seen hand sized groups at 30 yds. My hand isn't particularly large and I can span 8". That's not a very good group. Run of the mill Glocks and AR-15s can easily beat that.

Last edited: