What a dumb thing I did shipping using a tube instead of a box

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I sold a vintage Surefire E1 in gunmetal finish. When I got ready to package it for shipping I found a round shipping tube with plastic ends that I taped snugly in the ends of the tube. The tube was about the diameter of a paper towel roll. It had been used to mail a rolled educational poster. I cut the cardboard roll down to about siz inches long and used the plastic ends. I wrapped the light in paper, inserted it into the tube, secured the snap-in plastic ends and taped them in place. Then I addressed the paper label with a return and deliver to address. I taped it to the outside of the tube with both addresses showing. I then taped the label until it was covered complately and the ends were taped in place so that they were mega secure. Then I mailed it. The E1 inside has never been seen since. The tube was lost in the mail. I refunded the money I'd gotten for the light. So if anyone sees a tube with an E1 inside it then most likely it's mine. As of now it has been mising for three or four weeks.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Wow, sorry to hear about the loss. Did you ship it with insurance?

Regards

Aaron

Last edited:

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
My experience is this: I have mailed hundreds of boxes and never had but one or two lost and they eventually came back. This is the first tube I've shipped. It is lost and has not been returned to me.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well a box could contain any number of mundane things. Tubes are usually paper though. The extra weight was probably extraordinary enough to arouse someones "curiosity" along the way.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I always ship insured for the full $$ amount. And lately I am starting to require buyers to pay for a full tracking number and a signature upon receipt as part of the S/H dues.