Urnabeam Hunter

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
While searching about possible lights to replace out duty lights I had a representative from liotec.com message me about a line of flashlights they carry. He sent me two for testing and I told him I would write a review
I had never heard of Urnabeam and I told him that would not work in his favor but id give the product a fair chance.
www.liotec.com also sells wolfeyes lights and other lights.
He sent me one hunter and one beacon. Basically these two are the same lights. The hunter has a crenelated bezel and 3 modes while the beacon has one and slightly different styling.
The light comes in a simple black box with a 18650 battery and charger. There was a large postit size paper with instructions which i found inadequate but the light is relatively simple.
Every press changes the mode, high, strobe and low. The light resets in high but it takes a while to reset. Liotec told me that they had since changed that to a few seconds so you dont have to scroll through so often. It also has momentary on.
The construction is very adequate. I havent dunked it in water or scratched it to test the coating though. The body seems pretty well machined. No complaints there. Light is fairly sturdy id trust it to take some abuse. Light cannot tailstand.
Now to the output. Sorry been rather busy, havent been able to take beamshots. This light is bright. I cant test the claims of 230 lumens (Q5) but it is definately bright. It threw just as far as my MRV Q2 (claims 210 lumens) version but had a wider hotspot. The flood was nice and bright but not quite as wide as the MRV. The color seems nice and white, with maybe just a tiny blue tint. The deep reflector throws really well for this size of light. The MRV is made for pure throw and this thing does just as good. I might get the Q5 upgrade for my MRV and then I can compare it again. The strobe seems simple enough. It seems to be full power and gets annoying pretty fast. The low mode is not very bright at all. Maybe 20 lumens or less. Perfect for close in stuff. I have not tested runtimes though. On high after about 10 minutes I did notice the light getting warm but not to the point that i couldnt hold it.
CONCLUSION:
I like this light, and I would have no problem carrying it. I dont know if its as tough as the TK11 but its a nice sturdy bright light. For $95.00 its not the best priced flashlight in its class but it does seem to be well made. There are also fairly well priced accessories such as pressure switch available on the website.
This company seems to be a new comer to the scene but it has put on a good show for its first time.
L1010528.JPG

Last edited:

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi eyeeatingfish,

this light seems to be interesting for me too. You said it came along with a 18650 Battery and Charger? Was that for you testing? Was it promotion? Or will Battery & Charger come along with the flashlight, also when I buy one regular?

You said the strobe was anoying! Do you have any idea about the frequency? Or can you compare the frequency with other strobing lights (i.e. Fenix P3D)?

Will you post some information about the runtime, after you had the time to test it?

Did it come along with a holster? What is it compareable in size? Do you think it would fit in a surefire Vxx - speedholsters? Can you give some information about the size please?

Last point: What about the UI. Can you please describe in short how the UI works?

I think, that would be it for the moment! Thank you very much!

Bye,

Stephan

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Hi eyeeatingfish,
this light seems to be interesting for me too. You said it came along with a 18650 Battery and Charger? Was that for you testing? Was it promotion? Or will Battery & Charger come along with the flashlight, also when I buy one regular?
You said the strobe was anoying! Do you have any idea about the frequency? Or can you compare the frequency with other strobing lights (i.e. Fenix P3D)?
Will you post some information about the runtime, after you had the time to test it?
Did it come along with a holster? What is it compareable in size? Do you think it would fit in a surefire Vxx - speedholsters? Can you give some information about the size please?
Last point: What about the UI. Can you please describe in short how the UI works?
Bye,
Stephan

The light comes with the battery and charger as part of the regular package. The advertised runtime is 150 minutes. I use it for police duty so i dont really do runtime tests. I was letting another guy use it for a few weeks and he never had to reharge it once. I dont know how often he used it though.
The website says it comes with a holster but I was not provided with one. The holster may be a more recent add on. My partner had the hard plastic surefire holster that holds a 6p and the light fit in it just fine.
I dont really have any other strobing lights to comepare it to except maybe an SOS strobe. The strobe isnt the fastest ive seen or the slowest. I think its slower than the inova t4. The strobe seemed just slightly on the slow side. I think thats what made it annoying. But annoying in a strobe is kind of desired against bad guys. I was just looking at it and i think that a faster strobe doesn't annoy the eyes. A slower strobe messes with the eyes more because there is more of a chance for the eyes to readjust and then the eye gets blinded again.
The UI works by pressing once for high, then off and back on for strobe then the same for low. You can use the temporary on to select the mode too. If you leave it for a while, like a minute or something then it will default to the high mode. I was told that they have since fixed this to be just a few seconds so you dont have to cycle so often.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback eyeeatingfish!

Hi Stephan
The nylon holster, battery and charger are included with the light. We also have some nice duty belt holsters available in glossy or regular finish. These holsters work well for several brands.

The frequency of the strobe is about 5 hz

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks
John

Hi eyeeatingfish,

Bye,

Stephan

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
When you use the Hunter in a tactical situation, like clearing a house, and you turn it on for a moment and then off and then turn it on for a moment and then back on, Does this change modes? Is there a way to lock the mode on high so this does not happen? If not, then I would argue that the Hunter would not be acceptable for law enforcment duty use and would only consider the Beacon.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is coming soon.
There is a new tail being designed with a ring so you can set to any stage. Then when you turn the switch on you are working from a preset status.

When you use the Hunter in a tactical situation, like clearing a house, and you turn it on for a moment and then off and then turn it on for a moment and then back on, Does this change modes? Is there a way to lock the mode on high so this does not happen? If not, then I would argue that the Hunter would not be acceptable for law enforcment duty use and would only consider the Beacon.

Last edited:

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi John,

Yes it is coming soon.
There is a new tail being designed with a ring so you can set to any stage. Then when you turn the switch on you are working from a preset status.

Now that sounds very cool and interesting for me! I like the idea of beeing able to use a selectorring at the tail of the flashlight (as with the Gladius).

But why is the frequency of the strobe so slow? I would prefere a frequency of 12 - 13 hz, since this ist the frequency, where most people react with photosensitive seizures!

Thanks

Stephan

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
Yes I just found out about this and I cannot wait to try it.

We can look into the frequency and possibly make some changes. I will look into it.

Thanks
John
Hi John,

Now that sounds very cool and interesting for me! I like the idea of beeing able to use a selectorring at the tail of the flashlight (as with the Gladius).

But why is the frequency of the strobe so slow? I would prefere a frequency of 12 - 13 hz, since this ist the frequency, where most people react with photosensitive seizures!

Thanks

Stephan

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Hi John,
Thanks
Stephan

I could be wrong but I dont know if the seizure frequency is the best for a tactical strobe. Maybe if your suspect has that problem it would work ok.
When i compared this strobe to the T4 from inova I found this one to be more annoying. The inova strobbed too fast. Your eyes get kind of used to it i think. The strobe on the urnabeam is slower and kind of messes with your eyes by being too slow for yours eyes to get used to it but too fast for your eyes to adjust to the amount of light comming in. Thats my best explanation.

As far as measuring the stobe in hz, can anyone tell me what that means in terms of flashes per second? Maybe some lamens terms. Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky enough to win a Urnabeam Hunter at PF10, a local gathering of flashaholics. I beleive liotec.com provided two of them as door prizes. It was nice that it came with an 18650 charger and a protected 18650. I have no idea about the quality of the charger and battery, but everything works okay so far.

It sounds like the improvements they will be making to the lights will make them more desireable. I have to leave mine off for a minute for the memory to reset. So if I turn it on in high, turn it off, and 30 seconds later turn it back on it will come on in strobe. The selector ring for selecting what mode you want sounds nice.

It does put out a bright beam, good throw, sturdy construction, and has an aggressive strike bezel.

The reflector is larger than a P60 style reflector, which allows for a tighter hot spot, more throw, etc. It is a textured reflector. Size wise it's more in line with the Regalite WT1's reflector. Mine has a dark halo around the hot spot.

Looking forward to seeing the upgraded units.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi John,

any idea when the upgrades (selectorring) will be released?

thx,

Stephan

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stephan

I hope to know more in the next few days. They are also busy putting together a new P7 light to bring to market.

I will update when I know more.

Thanks
John