P60 Focal Length

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
It would seem that most of the P60 LED dropins carry similar dimensions from the face of the die to the forward edge of the reflector. I was wondering if a) anyone has measured one or more, and found out the optimum focal length required for a lens, and b) if any of the popular channels for finding optics have a suitable aspheric/PCX lens for a P60 LED.

My white-light P60s have no need for an aspheric, however I just purchase a DX 12625 Infrared P60 dropin, and I'd like to install it in an old P60 host with an aspheric and get the most throw I possible can. This will be used as a portable lighting/designator source for my newly purchased NVS. I think it'll be more useful than the (expensive) laser designators/illuminators available commercially.

I do have a few optics of the right diameter, mostly off-the-shelf PCX stuff, and I've tried one in the Cabelas 6P clone with a DX CREE Dropin. The focal length of most of the lenses I have is not optimal, though it isn't terrible either. I'd love to have the die nicely focused as in my apsheric mags.