Another Leatherman Charge TTi question

jxwhadley

Newly Enlightened
The file in my Charge is a tad loose in the open, locked position. It looks like the screws on each end of the handles that are the 'axles' for all the tools in the tool are torx tamperproof screws. Does anyone know what size bit these screws would take? I e-mailed Leatherman, a gal phoned back, I asked her, she phoned the warranty department, came back on and said that there wasn't anyone in the warranty department right now but that typically, she thought their response would be that you have to send the tool in. I don't want go through that if I can just go out and buy the bit to use to check the screw.

Thanks in advance!

jxwhadley

Newly Enlightened
Yes- What I'm hoping, is that the screw is at least size T7 because I'm not finding bits smaller than that that are for the tamper-resistant Torx screws (have a hole in the middle of them). Perhaps T7 is the smallest tamper-resistant Torx screw size there is though
icon5.gif
Also, there's the guess that there aren't two different versions of Torx sizes, metric and standard. So far I'm only seeing size T(n). If I can only find the bits online, I'm trying to cover my bases before I take an educated guess and buy something.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smallest security torx I have is T8, and it's pretty small. The smaller T7 is REALLY tiny. I'd be surprised if it was less than T10 or thereabouts.

Torx only comes in number sizes, like Phillips and Square drive (Robertson), so you don't have to worry about metric/english.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
They are torx 10 security bits. I use 2 (one each side) to adjust the tension on my Charge's.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
They are torx 10 security bits.

TYVM:thumbsup:

My Charge TTi also needs a slight tweak. Did anyone else notice that the TTi uses blade busings like the Chris Reeves Sebenza? Also, similar ball detent to hold the blade in the closed position. If you're going to copy anybody, might as well copy CRK:rolleyes:

j2coe

Newly Enlightened
at least they use secutity torx now I had to make a set of security 5 points to work on the older ones that was a PITA!

Warleader

Newly Enlightened
County Comm may have exactly what you need:

"T-TOOL - A TORX DRIVER DESIGNED ESPECIALLY FOR KNIFE MAINTENANCE

If You Carry A Pocket Knife The Odds Are Pretty Good That It Is Put Together With Small Torx Screws And You Never Have The Correct Wrench When You Need It. Here's The Answer.

The Folks At The Kershaw Knife Company Designed The T-Tool. The T-Tool Is Great For Changing The Position Of Your Pocket Clip Or Just Tightening The Screws On Your Knife. The T-Tool Includes A Torx T6 And T8, And A Philips Head Driver Bit. The Bits Store In The Handle When You Are Not using Them. Overall Length 4 Inches And The Handle Is Made Of Aluminum With A Slick Teflon Coating."

Their website is: http://www.countycomm.com/TORX.htm

I hope this is helpful.