The search for a Low Lumen Flooder..... continues...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone for their tips and advice. Right now I'm considering a fenix E01 or Gerber infinity ultra to replace my nite-ize minimag. I like the output and flood of the nite-ize 3 emitter drop in but its excessively blue color tint is getting on my nerves.

I stumbled on this at Lighthound. Is it an improvement over the nite-ize drop in I currently have? Is its color tint any better?

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1773&HS=1

Thanks in advance.:twothumbs

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for their tips and advice. Right now I'm considering a fenix E01 or Gerber infinity ultra to replace my nite-ize minimag. I like the output and flood of the nite-ize 3 emitter drop in but its excessively blue color tint is getting on my nerves.

I stumbled on this at Lighthound. Is it an improvement over the nite-ize drop in I currently have? Is its color tint any better?

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1773&HS=1

Thanks in advance.:twothumbs

If you want to upgrade your MiniMag, this would be a good option:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...+2-aa&osCsid=719fa99aa9eec7264ca41a104639c77c

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
zebralight on low!

For better color, you may need to get a higher end light, like noted above. There are lots of good lights that use cree / rebel / etc... that have nice low settings on them. I my (limited) experience, these lights always perform better (tintwise) than any of the nichia led type lights.

Fenix L0D might be a great choice- but i don't own one. It is small like the other lights, and should avoid the blue / purple tint you are describing. I have a Nichia arc premium with the newest nichia led- and it still has this type of "color challenge"

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah zebralight is a bit greenish

L0D has a nice tint (at least mine does) but the low is not very low at all, and i wouldnt really call it a flood light

Gatsby

Enlightened
If you're looking for a low lumen floody beam light I'd highly recommend considering a Liteflux LF2 (not the Cree or LF2X model) - which has a Seoul P4 and a nice little textured reflector. You can program it to a VERY low low or a very bright high and every point in between. It will work on any AAA size battery including lithium ions reliably. And it produces a very nice white even flood beam. Very underrate light I think.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L0D might be a great choice- but i don't own one. It is small like the other lights, and should avoid the blue / purple tint you are describing. I have a Nichia arc premium with the newest nichia led- and it still has this type of "color challenge"

yeah zebralight is a bit greenish

L0D has a nice tint (at least mine does) but the low is not very low at all, and i wouldnt really call it a flood light

Err ... I would avoid to get a L0D right now, it seems as there might be quality issues with latest batches :eek:

Just got one from 4Sevens, and the beam is really awfull :ohgeez:
I had several red ones (Christmas edition) and wanted a black one, but there are worlds of difference between both.

Indeed, the beam is not what could be called a 'warm tint' (like Rebel), but just a big ugly yellowish center with a small white/bluish spot in the middle and a white/bluish ring around ... oh well, not even a ring, but it has more or less the shape of a Milky-Way type galaxy :shakehead

When requesting at 4Sevens about this, he confirmed me that comparing his red ones to the new black and olive ones, the red ones do have indeed "a much better tint".

I guess 4Sevens is discussing about this with Fenix as I am still waiting for him to get offered some kind of solution....

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Inova X-5. I use it more than any of my lights for around the house use. Floody beam,resonable price ,and bombproof.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Nite-Ize 1watt LED with IQ switch?
You have Hi / Med / Low plus the ability to (de)focus to taste for that floody look.
The Nite-Ize 1 watt dropins are a lottery.

I have 3 of them and they are all different; one has a reddish tint, one is a dull white, and the other is a nice bright white.

The IQ Switch is cool, but it reduces the light output.

On the plus side though, Nite-Ize do stand behind their products.
I contacted them about the reddish tint in the drop-in and they sent me a replacement (and didn't ask for the reddish one back).

jbviau

Enlightened
I ask this with no sarcasm out of pure curiosity: What do you consider flood? If it's lack of a hotspot alone, I understand why some people like the X5. However, my X5 still has a well-defined cut-off to the beam, which is not all that wide in my opinion. For those reasons I wouldn't call it floody. Agreed that the build quality is outstanding, and the price was definitely right when I bought mine on clearance at Target ($6!).

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I second the Inova X-5. I use it more than any of my lights for around the house use. Floody beam,resonable price ,and bombproof.

I'll throw in another vote for the Inova X-5. I have one and use it more than any of my other lights. The above sums it up, but I'll also add that it's a USA made light. And very well made at that.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the sake of discussion, I'd say that if you took off the front bezel & reflector of a MagliteLED, I'd call that pure flood and I'd rate it 0/10 for throw. On the other hand, my 50mW green laser pointer has a hotspot of 10mm at 1 mile, I'd call that 10/10 for throw. So to put the Inova X5 into perspective, it rate a 3/10 for throw, which puts it into the floody beam category.

I ask this with no sarcasm out of pure curiosity: What do you consider flood? If it's lack of a hotspot alone, I understand why some people like the X5. However, my X5 still has a well-defined cut-off to the beam, which is not all that wide in my opinion. For those reasons I wouldn't call it floody. Agreed that the build quality is outstanding, and the price was definitely right when I bought mine on clearance at Target ($6!).

jbviau

Enlightened
Ok, cool. Well if the X5 qualifies as floody then the Photon Freedom Microlight does too, and it's got a pretty low low.

Last edited:

lights

Newly Enlightened
If you are considering a AAA light, i strongly reccomend the Peak Matterhorn single led (or triple, depending on the output/runtime you want) with the snow led. I have had one on my key chain forever. It replaced a LOD. I ordered the version with the lowest output/longest run time. I have a lithium battery in it, and i have not had to replace it yet. It has plenty of light for any situation I have needed it for so far... If you want a larger light with more run time, the Kilimanjaro is a AA light.

The tint is great on my Matterhorn. It is by far the whitest 5mm led i have ever seen.