Newbie Stuff: Batteries, and needs...?

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody, I found this forum a while ago, forgot about it for lack of need, and then rediscovered it today as I consider a flashlight. So here's the deal, I'm gonna be living on a farm in "the country" (relatively speaking), and wouldn't mind having a good, durable, bright light on hand just in case the lights go out or I've gotta swat some mosquitoes in the dark. ;)

So, naturally (and I claim that I'm not influenced by brand names, yeesh) I head on over to the Surefire website, and see a whole lot of great flashlights. But am I mistaken that they all require special lithium batteries?

I'm not so keen on that, because, though they have a ten year shelf life, what if you're out, your batteries die, you need your light, you don't have spares, and all that's around is a variety store selling regular Duracell batteries? Okay, it's a long shot, but it's the same reason that I like it when a camera manufacturer allows the use of both normal AA's and special batteries (like some of Pentax's models).

If I'm wrong about Surefire models all using lithium only, please correct me.
And what are the advantages of lithium battery flashlights?

Now - are there any other brands I should be looking at? The general trend, from what I've seen, is lithium, or rechargeable lithium. Hmm...
------------------------------

Now, as for my "needs": Well, I'd like:

-Durability
-Water Resistance, at least, if not some degree of water proofing
-Bright, though I don't know how bright, and I suppose, a fairly focused beam, though I guess that the option of a focused and a flood-style light in one would be cool
-Versatile for battery type (though today, I don't know if that's the case)
-Good battery life, no matter the battery type
-Something which can, but doesn't have to, use rechargeable batteries, if they're lithium

Like I said, it'd mostly be for emergency use, finding my way in the dark, maybe some night treks in the woods...no, I'm not military, and heaven forbid that I'd have to use a "tactical" light to blind someone or wack 'em like you can with the tough Surefires...though those lights sure are slick lookin'!
---------------------------

Well, I know it's a lot of questions, but if you guys could point a 'newb to some particular models and clarify my battery concerns, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks muchly!

R.ticle One

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right. Surefire uses cr123a batteries almost exclusively. They do have some rechargeable models though. I'd check out malkoff devices for a led mag dropin, also a fenix L1 or L2 d/t might good. Lastly you might want to go to the nearest lowes and check out the 3w cree taskforce light.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
You're right. Surefire uses cr123a batteries almost exclusively. They do have some rechargeable models though. I'd check out malkoff devices for a led mag dropin, also a fenix L1 or L2 d/t might good. Lastly you might want to go to the nearest lowes and check out the 3w cree taskforce light.

You beat me to it, lol!

I was just going to recommend the exact same Task Force light, I have it and it actually shines just as bright and far as my 1 million candlepower spotlight! It stays at full brightness for at least an hour, and runs on 2 common C cell batteries. It puts out 150 lumens. I have had it for several weeks and I am still in awe of its unbelievable, amazing performance. It puts out a perfect blue-white circle of light that throws for almost 1000 feet.

It's only $30, and IMHO it would be the best choice.

Surfer Jesus

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am a newb also, and I was thinking the same thing as you are in regards to batteries. I really like the surefires, after looking at them in the gun store, but honestly, I am really turned off by the CR123 idea.

After reading up on this forum and other reviews, I think I have my eyes set on the Fenix L2D (Q5 Premium). I am also going to purchase this nifty little light from them also for the fun factor. Good luck to both of us in not getting ripped off.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are many AA lights that are just as bright or brighter then the Surefires(just speaking of output here, not need to turn this into an argument).

Most high power LED lights have side spill to light up the sides, and some also have lower modes for closer range/more runtime use.

How much throw and runtime would you like? Also how about mltimodes(low, high, strobe, etc)

:welcome:

GregWormald

Enlightened
You need to determine whether you want to carry it with you, or just have it available in your room.
A carry light needs to be small and unobtrusive, an available light can be as large as you want. Large lights use larger batteries and at the same light level the larger batteries will last longer.
There are lots of AA lights that will work as carry lights, although I have settled on the lithium CR123A batteries as my standard. They have more power than the AA lights and while they are not as available in the 'sticks', if a shop is right there when the light dies, you probably didn't need the light anyway. I just carry a spare battery.
Both AA and CR123A batteries are available in re-chargeable format, and nearly all lights will use rechargables. Note that re-chargeables generally have a lower overall capacity than primary batteries.
Turning a tightly focussed beam into a flood beam is fairly easy--just add a diffractor--handmade from a bottle top or cut from a DVD case, or factory made.
Multiple levels, or adjustable levels are great, when it is really dark a little light goes a long way.
Have fun choosing.
Greg

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup SF's are almost completely CR123s. But as others have said there are decent AA lights. However I'll add their performance will be disappointing with alkiline cells. I'd wager this is one reason SF uses lithiums and has not released a AA light yet. Rechargible NiMh AAs offer superior performance in almost every situation for high powered LEDs. But this leaves you with a similar problem I guess unless you will have access to power for recharging.. you can at least still use alkilines in a pinch though for a AA light.
A Malkoff Mag Dropin would be a good alturnative, I agree as they do fine with Alkilines.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Surefire has a handful of rechargeable models that use proven technology.

CR123 cells aren't considered special.... At least not on this site. But while pricey at Brick & Mortar stores, these batteries can be found there. You'd have to be way out in the country, to not have access to CR123 cells. You also hit the nail on the head. Having spares is very important. But not just CR123 spares. Your area gets hit with a natural disaster, and you can pretty much forget about finding the more common batteries on store shelves. (Always a good idea to have at least one good light that runs off of less popular C cells. The Task Force light at Lowes has already been mentioned, and it's a good one).

Main advantage of CR123 cells = Raw power in terms of output. Not too many other types of primary cells that can do the same.

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Wow, guys,

Lots of good advice here to start with - thanks! Well, as far as throw, it's hard to say - I mean, 1000 ft. sounds pretty damn impressive, but I don't know if I NEED 1000 ft. Lumen-wise, I have nothing to really base that against - almost all the flashlights I've ever used were Crappy Tire...uh, Canadian Tire el Cheapos with weak beams that tend to have broken down by the time you need them, and I'd like something well made that's less wasteful and will work when I need it.

As far as the size goes...hmm. I'd be keeping the light in a room, likely. However, it would be nice to have something to take along - if I'm carrying anything on foot or bike, I have an amply sized backpack with me, so unless the light is enormous and weighs 10 pounds or something, it's not too big an issue.

Though, having said that, something really bright with good throw that's still pocket sized might be tempting for times that I might want nothing more than some water and a light with me, minus the backpack.

I don't know how important modes like strobe and different power levels are to me. Although, I can see different power levels being useful more often than a strobe, especially if my eyes have adjusted to the dark and I don't want to temporarily blind myself trying to see with a high powered light at first burst, you know?

I feel a bit more clarified about why Surefire uses the batteries they do now. Any more suggestions for models are welcome, keep 'em comin'! I'll check out what's been posted so far. Thanks!

R.

zven

Enlightened
Well, looks like most of the responses here cover the CR123 battery issue. I'll add my $0.02, but I'll also try to cover the other things mentioned in the OP. Oh, and this might be a lengthy post, so bear with me.

1. CR123 vs. other (for simplicity, let's say AA): For myself, I guess I picked CR123 as my flashlight standard not as much because they were superior (though in my mind they are), but rather because SureFire used them in all their lights I wanted, and I really wanted a SureFire. That said, I fully view CR123 cells as superior because: they have a longer shelf life, they give you more runtime than alkalines, they have a higher voltage which allows for more powerful lights, they're physically lighter than alkalines, they won't leak after long periods of no use (i.e., they'll never ruin the inside of a flashlight just from sitting in there too long), and they're just about as cheap as AA's if you act ahead of time and buy them online. Yes, you'll find more AA's in stores, particularly in the boonies, but personally I can only think of two acceptable reasons not to have a good number of spares on hand (by on hand, I mean maybe one set on your person, and a bunch more nearby, such as in your house, in your car, etc.): backpacking and overseas traveling, where you need to shave as much space and weight as possible. If you do a lot of these, consider AA's (though even for backpacking, the CR123's will weigh less, whether in a flashlight or as spares). Your mileage may vary, of course, so you may see other benefits to AA's, but at the end of the day, I can't personally find any truly good justification for using them over CR123's.

2. Brand: SureFire is indeed probably the best place to look for a good flashlight. I'm sure you're familiar with their reputation, so I need not say more. Inova is another good brand to look at (though in general I think the selection at SF is better). I've also heard good things about Nitecore, Fenix, Dereelight and Tiablo, though I don't have any personal experience with these. If AA's are a must for you, then from what I've seen written on these boards in reviews, I'd recommend Nitecore, then Fenix (depends on what you want from the light, though). In the end, I'd still go with SureFire.

3. Durability: I'd expect any SureFire to be top-notch here, and any Inova (minus the keychain lights) to measure up to the same level. Other than those, the best durability I've heard about was Dereelight, and I think Nitecore. Mag of course has great durability, but to get non-archaic performance out of it, the only upgrade I have any remotely first-hand experience with that I'd trust for durability is the Malkoff drop-in.

4. Water resistance: I doubt anything mentioned around here will stand particularly ahead of the pack. There are truly waterproof lights out there, but they're for diving, and I don't think we need to be that concerned about it. For everyday needs, any SureFire, Fenix, Dereelight, etc., etc., will have all the rain/puddle/dunk/splash/etc. resistance you could ever want.

5. Brightness: If you want the brightest of the brightest, then go HID; below that, incandescent, and for slightly less than scorchingly bright, go LED (incans aren't worth the lower runtime below 200 lumens to me). I imagine you'll want some sort of LED, as the 500+ lumens lights are more of a specialty-purpose thing. Most LED's these days will give you decent efficiency, and that's what's important in the end. I'll be more specific later when I outline some particular light suggestions.

6. Battery life: LED's are where it's at, and efficiency is key. Also, here's where the suggestion to use CR123's comes in again.

7. Rechargeables: Although SureFires fit just about all my other recommendation criteria, they apparently aren't great about guaranteeing a fit with rechargeables. I get the impression that their 6P/G2/C2/etc. lights tend to fit better than the newer E2L/U2/etc. models; basically, other companies will make lights guaranteed to work with rechargeables, but I wouldn't rule out the SF's altogether. I'd recommend picking your light first, and then look into rechargeable options later. If rechargeable is crucial, though, I think Dereelight has some great options for primary/rechargeable compatibility.

8. Price: You neglected to mention a price range for the light that you want. I would likely recommend very different lights if your range was either $50-$100 or $150-$200. I'm hoping you're okay with the $100-200 range, as that's where my prime recommendation will lie, but I'll try and think of something cheaper as well.

9. Emergency light: For emergency purposes, I'll likely never be more comfortable than with a SureFire (with non-clicky switch). Inovas would take a close second in my mind, followed by any of the other respected manufacturers. For emergency, a twisty switch is key, in my opinion, as well as runtime on at least one mode to be at least 4+ hours.

10. General "boonies" light: Living in the boonies myself, you'll definitely want something with some decent throw if you're going to be outside at night with a treeline more than 75 feet away. Depending on the specific environment, you may need something like a 3D mag or Dereelight DBS for the extreme throw, or you may not (in my surroundings, which are woods with various clearings, the throw of P60-compatible lamps are perfectly fine). Also, you'll want plenty of wide flood/spill outside the hotspot, in order to see things off to your side, and to navigate while pointing the light in the distance. For this, the narrow beam of, say, a Mag 3D, will be less than ideal. I'd go with something with the beam spread of a SF G2L or Inova T1. And if you can afford a Malkoff dropin, those will be even better, since they don't have a harsh line where it goes from flood to dark.

11. Mosquitos: From my own experience (and these days, this is probably about 40% of my flashlight use), mosquito hunting is most effective with an entirely diffused light; no hotspot. And the wider the diffuse beam, the better. Also, the brighter the better. My Inova T1, for example, works WAY better than my stock Mag 3D, but any light with a diffuser like the SureFire FM34 is PHENOMENAL.

12. Specific recommendations: Well, for starters, if you really need something cheap, like, sub-$50, the Inova X5 is the only thing that comes to mind. I know there are others out there, especially ones that will perform better for your needs, but no sub-$50 lights are coming to mind at the moment. You'll have to ask others if this is what you need.

If your price range is $50-$100, then I'd first recommend the SF G2L (or 6PL, 9PL or G3L for that matter). This is probably the best all-around light out there, particularly if you don't mod it in any way. It's got a nice, bright hotspot, with very wide, useable flood, and respectable runtime. Sure there are lights that do better, but not necessarily when you factor in the warranty, durability, brand reputation, reliable twisty switch, and price. Other than these lights, the Inova T1 will do fine (as well as other Inova T-series lights, I imagine), as well as Fenix lights, Nitecores (particularly the EX-10, from what I hear) and a number of others. Other CPFers might be able to give better advice here.

Hopefully you can afford the $100-$200 range, though. This is where things get interesting. The SureFire L1, for example, is a great light with two stages, great tint, good brightness, good runtime, reliable switch, etc. And with the diffuser you can buy for it, it gives you the option to have either a nice spotlight in stock form, or a perfectly diffuse light perfect for close-up use. Price: $135 (L1) + $12 (F04 diffuser) = $147.

And last but not least, THE light that you want, the light that fulfills all your requirements (save the tendency for AA thing, which hopefully you've been convinced to ignore) is the SureFire C2, hard annodized, with a Malkoff M60 drop-in and FM34 diffuser. This is the light sitting on my belt as we speak. It fills for me all the purposes you seemed to outline in your original post, and it does them better than any other light I've ever seen. The body (C2 in this case) is up to you and your tastes, of course, but I opted for the C2 because of the combat grip, which gives you a perfect grip on the light, and allows for great operation in a cigar-grip. That said, a 6P would make for a cheaper light. Anyway, the M60 drop-in is what makes this light fabulous. It's got excellent throw, the best brightness possible for a widely available LED light, and the best tint I've ever seen on any light, ever (this thing has better color rendition than either my other LED's or even my incandescents, which makes it the best outdoor light possible (at least to me). Also, since the M60 uses an optic rather than a reflector, the fade away from the hotspot to spill to dark is the smoothest you'll find out there, and effectively puts out a wider spread of light than a stock G2L or whatever will permit. And then once you add the FM34 diffuser, you have the choice to, at any time, flip between the throwy hotspot and the VERY floody diffused beam. With its brightness, diffusion, and width of beam, this light (with diffuser on) is THE best mosquito hunting light possible. Mosquitos, room-lighting, blinding your friends, you name it. It's the best. Price: $115 (C2 hard annodized) or $60 (6P) + $55 (Malkoff M60) + $35 (FM34 diffuser) = $205 or $150. And if you buy the 6P off of eBay, you could shave another $15 off of that, and bring it to $135. (...Man, this is making me want to buy another...)

So in the end, I highly recommend a SureFire 6P/C2/etc. series light, a Malkoff drop-in for it (M60 for optimal brightness, or M60L if you want the best runtime/brightness combo on the market today), and a SF FM34 beam filter. Or, if you want to skip the FM34, and can live with just flood, you could opt for a Malkoff M60F or M60LF (the beam on these is great for walks around the woods, searching for things indoors, even finding mosquitos; it is narrower than the FM34 though).

Okay, so that was WAY more than I intended to write. I really hope that at least something in it is useful, though. And that anyone who actually read it will forgive me someday...

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Holy Cow, Zven,

What a reply! Thanks man, thanks!
Now, I'm a bit confused, lost in this flashlight terminology here - I had a look at your "ultimate" light, the SF C2 - sure looks great, though I don't know if the price is doable in time - however, assuming it is, would you be able clarify what you mean when you talk about the Malkoff drop in - I looked at one on a site, and I see a picture of it, but I'm not sure if I understand *what* a drop-in is, exactly - a different bulb, or...?

Anyway, you've given me a lot of potential choices. If you could clarify what you mean by the whole drop-in thing, oh - and regarding the diffuser - do I understand correctly by the picture of it, that once it's attached to the flashlight, you don't have to remove it to get a focused beam, but just flip the front of it up? Way cool, if that's how it works.

And were you suggesting the incandescent or LED version of the C2?

Many thanks again!

R.ticle One

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a light that can use AA alkalines, NiMH AA rechargeables OR Lithium Ion 14500 (AA size) rechargeable 3.6 volt batteries. There just happens to be a couple recently that can use all three of those batteries in addition to a Lithium primary (like the Energizer AA). Nitecore Defender Infinity or Nitecore D10. Those are around $80 and $55. They both have infinitely variable output and some very nice other options like quick access to very low or full brightness. And :welcome:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the led and incan are different animals. Personally incans have better color rendering than leds.

My suggestion is to go through the forum in detail and get the feel of whats available out there. There abundance of info/beamshots /reviews of many offerings.

As and when you have narrowed down to a few particular light, that's when you start to inquire for further information.

To me whats important :-
1) Reliable brand.
2) Reliable warranty.
3) Rechargeable option (cheaper in the long run)
4) Performance etc.

But most importantly, get the light that suits your needs rather than the other way around. The investment shall be more beneficial to you this way, and looks aren't everything.

Good luck in your search for the ultimate light!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Holy Cow, Zven,

Now, I'm a bit confused, lost in this flashlight terminology here - I had a look at your "ultimate" light, the SF C2 - sure looks great, though I don't know if the price is doable in time - however, assuming it is, would you be able clarify what you mean when you talk about the Malkoff drop in - I looked at one on a site, and I see a picture of it, but I'm not sure if I understand *what* a drop-in is, exactly - a different bulb, or...?

A drop-in is an entire lamp assembly, (bulb, reflector, outer spring) all as one piece that will fit in certain types of lights. For example, a P60 compatable drop-in will fit inside of any Surefire light that uses a P60 lamp. The conversion is very easy. You take out the stock lamp assembly, and you "drop in" the aftermarket drop-in.

Beware though, some drop-ins are rated as fitting inside of Surefire lights. But they only fit inside the bezel. When you screw the body back on, you end up with an obvious gap between the body and head. The Malkoff M60 I'm using in my C2 is a great fit. There is a tiny gap between the body and head. But it's a paper-thin gap that no one will notice unless they specifically look for it.

The Malkoff drop-in that zven mentioned is LED. He generally gave some good advice. Two things though.... The C cell Task Force model at Lowes is a very good light, and under $50. ($32. Comes with some good accessories. Including a decent holster. Least expensive dedicated throw light on the market). Other thing, if you go with Surefire; be sure to buy one from an Authorized Dealer or an online Dealer with an excellent reputation. There are indeed fake Surefire lights floating around. And they are some excellent fakes..... Even down to the lettering. Buying a used Surefire from the CPF MarketPlace is fine. But I'd avoid eBay.

Moka

Enlightened

R.ticle One

If you're getting an M60 or M60L (best for runtime vs brightness) just go for the incan, the led is extra $$ and you're not gonna be using the lamp assembly anyway...
On the m60(L) they are RCR123 compatible so worth getting for your needs...

If you don't wanna go for lithium I'd stick with Malkoffs still... Get a maglite and Malkoff drop in for it... C cells and D cells are easier to come by than cr123a's and easier to get rechargable versions of... I've only recently got myself a Malkoff dropin and they are a truly beautiful mod...

clintb

Enlightened
Two lights:

Tiablo A9S
NiteCore D10

Tiablo A9S: (review)
- Uses 2 x CR123 primaries or 2 x RCR123 Li-Ion or 1 x 18650 Li-Ion
- Excellent regulation and runtime with CR123 primaries
- Fantastic runtime, but dwindling brightness on 18650 Li-Ion
- Have not read about reliability being an issue.
- Waterproof to 15 ft.
- Choice of SMO or OP reflector.
- Excellent throw.
- Can be had for very cheap now, especially from kaidomain.com

NiteCore D10: (review)
- Uses 1 x 14500 Li-Ion or 1 x AA (any chemistry)
- Combines the simplicity of a twisty with the multi-mode of a clicky.
- Has a very useful low.
- Is very bright on high.
- Can be set to any level between low and high.
- Lightweight
- Backed by an upstanding forum member (4Sevens).
- Dead simple to operate.
- Very cheap, price wise, for a light with its features ($59 at 4sevens.com)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't mind buying Li-ion rechargeable batteries, the I'd suggest the Dereelight CL1H. For most normal uses, the light should be more then enough.

For more of a smaller EDC type light, the Nitecore D10 might be good. AA powered, pretty simple to use, and you can choose the output you want.

The Fenix lights(L1/2D, L1/2T, P2/3D, T series) might be better though because you will know what mode it will come on. Loose bezel = low and tight bezel = high/turbo(depends on the light). Tapping the tailcap will cycle through the mode group and a full click is always on or off.

zven

Enlightened
Holy Cow, Zven,

Anyway, you've given me a lot of potential choices. If you could clarify what you mean by the whole drop-in thing, oh - and regarding the diffuser - do I understand correctly by the picture of it, that once it's attached to the flashlight, you don't have to remove it to get a focused beam, but just flip the front of it up? Way cool, if that's how it works.

Many thanks again!

R.ticle One

Looks like Monocrom filled in most of the gaps from my all-too-lengthy post. He defined "drop-in" before I could reply, but I'll just add a quick note about the Malkoff drop-ins. The aforementioned gap that one sees with the Malkoff drop-ins is there in order to ensure that the surface of the drop-in is making full contact with the interior of the body of the flashlight, in order to guarantee heat dissipation away from the LED. Good design and very practical. If you want to know more about the Malkoff M60 series, just type "malkoff" into the search bar here, and you're bound to come up with lots of reviews, comparisons, etc. The Malkoff modules are available for sale at Gene Malkoff's website, malkoffdevices.com, and he has some more technical details and whatnot in his product descriptions. These drop-ins are pricier than most anything else on the market, but they're worth it, particularly for something with unique characteristics, like the beam of the M60F and M60LF, or the output to runtime ratio of the M60L and M60LF.

For my "ultimate" light, I did get the incandescent version, which is some amount cheaper than SureFire's LED version of the light. If you choose the C2 as a host for a drop-in other than the stock P60 lamp that it comes with, go for the incandescent version. However, you'll save yourself a good bit of money by choosing the 6P as a host. It won't have the clip or the combat grip, but those tend not to be critical features (your mileage may vary, of course).

Oh, and for the diffuser, yes, the FM34 (the one that fits the C2/6P/etc.) flips up and down once installed on the light, making it very easy to switch between spot and flood. If you were to opt for, say, the SF L1, its diffuser (F04) does not flip; it's easy to put on and take off, but not as easy as the flipping of the FM34.

So, as to my specific recommendations, they'd be (depending on what price you're comfortable with):

SF C2 hard annodized ($115 for incandescent version) + Malkoff M60 ($55) + FM34 diffuser ($35) = $205.

SF 6P incandescent ($60 from normal/online stores, $45 from eBay) Malkoff M60 ($55) + FM34 diffuser ($35) = $150 or $135.

SF 6P incandescent ($60 from normal/online stores, $45 from eBay) + Dereelight 1SM-2 drop-in ($29 with smooth reflector at dereelight.com) + FM34 diffuser ($35) = $124 or $109.

(Note that in the above configurations, a Malkoff M60L could be substituted for the M60, giving you reduced but still very good ouput, and higher runtime.)

Now, I don't know if there are any heat dissipation issues with the Dereelight drop-in and plastic bodied lights (or even how good it is in metal bodied lights, for that matter), but you could also consider:

SF G2 incandescent ($30) + Dereelight 1SM-2 ($29) + FM34 diffuser ($35) = $94.

I think such a combination should be okay, but it might be recommended to not use the light constantly for more than about 15 minutes at a time.

Those are the various configurations that add up to my "ultimate light". Picking a combination along these lines will also allow you to upgrade or modify the light very easily in the future, as it's a very widely used size and platform in the flashlight world. Other lights like the Nitecore EX-10 or Fenix P3D or whatever else may save you some money, but they won't allow as many options as the SF 6P/C2/etc. form. I could try and name off some various other recommendations other than my "ultimate light" variations, but none will allow the versatility of those, particularly due to the dramatic ease in flipping the FM34 diffuser from spot to flood and flood to spot.

And finally, to save a bit more money, and get the ultimate "compromise" light, you could go for: SF G2 ($30) + Malkoff M60LF ($55) = $85. It's a flood light, but for flood it throws a decent distance, it's got great tint, and the best output/runtime combination possible, in a durable, grippy, plastic SureFire body.

Heh, so I guess that post got out of hand, too. I must be the reincarnation of a Tolstoy-era writer or something. Glad I don't have to live with Tolstoy-era illumination, though...

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Wowowow...options! So, I was surprised to hear about Malkoff drop-ins for Maglite bodies. News to me, and good to know. So it seems that all Malkoffs are LED.

I like the idea of LED's and their battery life and lack of breakable parts - but now I'm concerned about the light rendering in them versus comparably bright incandescents. I mean, I know that I'm not using a flashlight to illuminate a scene for photography (uh, unless I'm doing a throw test and taking a picture, that is), but I think my eyes would be more comfortable for the time being with the more "natural", albeit, still bright rendering of an incan. bulb versus the pure white of an LED. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding the SF C2 - I see that it's "better" version, the M...something or other, I forget, which it's based on, has some kind of shock resistance. How durable would a light like the C2 be, holding up to bangs and bumps and drops? Not that I'd use it for a hammer, but you know, sometimes you drop things...also, regarding the incandescent bulbs - would a fall to the pavement from hand-height wreck the bulb?

And, were I to get an incan. Surefire which was compatible with a Malkoff drop-in, but couldn't afford a drop-in at the moment, and wanted to see how I liked the stock incan. bulb - I mean, for a guy who's used to Rayovac or no name cheap plastic lights - I'd probably be pretty happy, anyway, right, for the time being?

Ye gads, there's a lot to think on here...those Nitecores do sound nice, too, for utter simplicity and less many. I like the idea of variable output, however, I like the idea of diffusers and optional drop-ins, too. Oi, I'm gonna have to keep on reading, then!

Thanks for all the suggestions, so far, any more thoughts, 'specially 'bout the LED versus Incan., and durability issues, is much appreciated. Thanks!

R.ticle One

Wyeast

Enlightened
My top picks would be:

INOVA-BOLT-TOP.jpg

sorry, don't have a pic of the packaging. it's the model that says "3.8 watts" on it
Inova Bolt 2AA - general purpose "movin' around the house" light. Easy to find batts, simple design, built like a tank. No modes or clickies to fuss with. Just turn the cap and go.

img0839ps5nh1.jpg

Pic from the Task Force thread here on CPF
Task Force Cree 2C
- bump in the dark light. I've seen very few off-the-shelf lights out throw this bad boy. This is the one to reach for when something's amiss out in the fields.

LED4AAODE-LPENR.jpg

Energizer "Trailfinder Folding LED Light" - lasts for ages on 4AA batts - useful as a power outage room light. Shares batts w/ the Inova so you can cycle through them every few months to make sure the light's always ready. (or alternatively, just store it with 4AA Lithiums and it'll keep for years)

finally, I'd add a couple of "power failure" lights. Plug-in nightlights that switch to batteries in case the power goes out - to help you find your way until you can get to more lights. Target has a nice little model that is a 2-LED nightlight with a single LED on the bottom that comes on when the power's out. Runs about $8 apiece I think?

With all that you can outfit your house for about the cost of one C2. :)

As far as LED vs incan for color rendition - most of the newer generation LED's (cree's, K2's, etc) are pretty white so your eyes adjust rapidly. You don't even really realize the incans aren't white until you look at them side by side. ;) The older Luxeon I lights often had a funny pea-green color to it which is really off-setting.

Hope that helps!