G2Z eating up batteries

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I have a G2Z w/P61 lamp that used to sit by my nightstand. I ordered a malkoff M60LF for it and fired it up just to play with it before loading in the new drop-in. It barely came on so I tested the batteries on my ZTS and they were at 20%. They were Surefire primaries and I had not used the light more than about 2 minutes through the course of a year.

I replaced them with new Surefire batteries and put in the Malkoff. I ran it less than 3 minutes last week and pulled the batteries tonight and they tested 80%!

Can the light have some type of internal short that's causing battery drain?

Any other thoughts?

Gene43

Enlightened
Call SureFire. I think they had a problem with some of the G2 switches eating batteries. Maybe someone else can verify this?

zven

Enlightened
Well, my first guess is that the cells are too old, even though they're unused. Of course, if you just bought them from SureFire recently, then this is not likely. Although wherever you bought them from, could have been they were from a pack sitting at the back of a shelf for years and years.

Anyway, my question would be this: did the cells measure 100% before putting them into the light? First, I'd get a fresh set of cells, test them before use, then use for a couple minutes, leave overnight, whatever, then test again, and see if you get the huge drain.

Also, did you discover the 20% charge after some number of days, or more like months/years of the light sitting on your night stand? If your P61 can be in the light for a night or two without mysteriously draining the batteries, then I'd contact Gene Malkoff, and see if he's had this problem with his lights before. If the P61 sees the same drop in charge as the M60LF, then I'd contact SureFire, and see what they have to say.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Well, my first guess is that the cells are too old, even though they're unused. Of course, if you just bought them from SureFire recently, then this is not likely. Although wherever you bought them from, could have been they were from a pack sitting at the back of a shelf for years and years.

Anyway, my question would be this: did the cells measure 100% before putting them into the light? First, I'd get a fresh set of cells, test them before use, then use for a couple minutes, leave overnight, whatever, then test again, and see if you get the huge drain.

Also, did you discover the 20% charge after some number of days, or more like months/years of the light sitting on your night stand? If your P61 can be in the light for a night or two without mysteriously draining the batteries, then I'd contact Gene Malkoff, and see if he's had this problem with his lights before. If the P61 sees the same drop in charge as the M60LF, then I'd contact SureFire, and see what they have to say.

The problem first happened with the P61 in the flashlight, then again with the Malkoff in it.

The answer to your first question is the batteries were a couple of years old, but had never been used. They did test 100% before I put them in the flashlights. I wouldn't think two years on them would cause them to act like this.

I think I'll call Surefire to get their take on it. My guess at this point is it's a potential problem with the switch.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I just put the batteries back in the flashlight and noticed something that happened last night as well. As soon as I start screwing the tailcap on, the light will turn on for a very brief time, or at least flicker as I continue tightening it. Then it goes off after making a complete turn or so. It will then go off the further I screw on the tailcap.

This happens every time I start screwing the tailcap back on. My 6P doesn't act that way.

zven

Enlightened
The problem first happened with the P61 in the flashlight, then again with the Malkoff in it.

The answer to your first question is the batteries were a couple of years old, but had never been used. They did test 100% before I put them in the flashlights. I wouldn't think two years on them would cause them to act like this.

I think I'll call Surefire to get their take on it. My guess at this point is it's a potential problem with the switch.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it from two years of sitting around either, and if such performance were common, it would ruin my confidence in CR123's. Still, could be that the cells sat on a shelf for a few years before you even bought them. But we'll never know on that, I would guess.

So short of going out and buying a wide sampling of batteries from different years, different manufacturers, etc., and testing them all, I would guess it's a problem with the switch as well. I don't suppose you have another compatible light that you could test with by swapping the tailcaps?

As to the light flickering on as you screw on the tailcap, my C2, G2, and particularly G3 do this as well. However, it's only for one or two flickers, and doesn't consistently happen every time. Only when I hold the light just right as I'm putting the tailcap back on or something. And for me, these flickers don't seem to be related to any battery drain.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it adds anything to this discussion when I first got a CR123A powered light I bought a box of 10 CR123As very cheaply from ebay because the cells were almost 10 years old!. Expiry was 6 months in the future. They performed flawlessly and the runtime wasn't noticeably less than a new panasonic freshly manufactured.

(It probably only had 80% charge or so at a guess but I have no ZTS tester)

Another guy here lost a surefire for *10+ years* with cells in it, and it fired up no problem when he found it.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I purchased the batteries that were in the flashlight from a local sporting goods retailer that caters to LEOs. I would think they turn them quickly enough but I can't be sure.

I do have a G2 and I may swap the tailcaps and see if that makes a difference. Or.....i may just go buy a new light to replace it!:whistle:

Thanks for the ideas and feedback.

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
Well the flickering is just a byproduct of the way the Nitrolon tailcaps are designed, you can complete the circuit by tilting the tailcap to an angle when your screwing it on, that is not a problem.

It really seems you've just got a tailcap with a short in it. Replace it with any G or P series cap and see if the problem persists.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I can't say what is meant to happen with them, but I lock out all of my Surefires when not in immediate use. It is my experience with every light I own that isn't locked out (including maglites and Inovas and cheap supermarket ones) that they do slowly self-discharge. Much like your experience with the P61. For example I didn't use the old G2's much because they slowly self-drained. I can't comment on your issue with the Malkoff...

If you really need to store it not locked out: I would suggest just changing the batts once every 6 months or as required when you test the batteries. I am now very used to keeping my g2z locked out by 1/4 of a turn or so and it doesn't slow me down.

Just my 2 cents