Craftsman 170 Lumen Light - Anyone know anything about this light?

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Today while I was running about various stores, I saw a couple of flashlights that seemed interesting but I didnt know anything about them.

(and ahead of time, I didnt find anything with search on either of these lights)

First I was at my local Big Lots, and while in the battery isle, I saw this light http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03473720000P for $12.99 or so. (Im almost positive it was that exact light) But I passed on is cause it was such a big light for a 1 watt, and looking at the lense, I knew it would be a "Moonbeam" light.

Then over at K-Mart, I saw a Craftsman (model # 03493685) 170 Lumen K2 6 AAA light w/ high low switch (170L high/80L low) for $39.99. It pretty much looks indentical to this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03414073000P except for it saying Craftsman on the side and the specs mentioned earlier.

Unfortunatly I had to pass on that one as I am currently between jobs and money is tight.

Search didnt turn up anything on either of these lights, or I must have missed something.

Any info on either of these lights?

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone know anything about these lights?

Today while I was running about various stores, I saw a couple of flashlights that seemed interesting but I didnt know anything about them.

(and ahead of time, I didnt find anything with search on either of these lights)

First I was at my local Big Lots, and while in the battery isle, I saw this light http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03473720000P for $12.99 or so. (Im almost positive it was that exact light) But I passed on is cause it was such a big light for a 1 watt, and looking at the lense, I knew it would be a "Moonbeam" light.

Then over at K-Mart, I saw a Craftsman (model # 03493685) 170 Lumen K2 6 AAA light w/ high low switch (170L high/80L low) for $39.99. It pretty much looks indentical to this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03414073000P except for it saying Craftsman on the side and the specs mentioned earlier.

Unfortunatly I had to pass on that one as I am currently between jobs and money is tight.

Search didnt turn up anything on either of these lights, or I must have missed something.

Any info on either of these lights?

Well, if the Craftsman 6AAA light really has a K2 in it, then it will kick the hell out of the sears light with the Lux I led in it in terms of brightness. Even if they are rating the K2 as bulb lumens (which is almost a guarantee), that is still a lot of lumens for $39.99. Plus, it is a two stage light. I would get the K2 light myself. Just my $0.02...

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I know buying online can take a while but it could be lower priced and better output.

You can also check Lowes and Walmart. They both now stock Cree/Rebel lights and some are under $30.

I remember seeing a review or two on the second Sears light, it was under the Dorcy name. The first one seems to be a different version of the Stanly tripod.

Last edited:

Skyclad01

Enlightened

I know buying online can take a while but it could be lower priced and better output.

You can also check Lowes and Walmart. They both now stock Cree/Rebel lights and some are under $30.

Both of these lights I saw in store, not online. I just used those pictures for show.

Ive been to Walmart and have been debating the 2aa Coleman Max, but there doesnt seem to be much info on it here yet. Mostly just a lot of talk.

As for Lowes, the closest one is 30 miles away. Unfortunatly, im not gonna make an unnessicarry 60 mile round trip for a flashlight unless I have another reason to justify making that round trip.

Wyeast

Enlightened
The Coleman 2AA has been a fine light for me so far. The only main complaint I have is the tailcap (forward clicky! :thumbsup:) is a little sensitive, so there's a chance of accidental activation if you carry the light in a pocket or something. I carry one in a Nite Ize Mini Pock-Its and it's behaved pretty well so far sitting next to my Leatherman.

The K2's a fine emitter, but not as efficient as the newer Cree's.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There is a review + runtime plots for the 2xAA one. But for the two lights linked above, there are a lot of better deals on other lights elsewhere on the web. The 6xAAA one is laughable, even if it were only $20

Showolf

Newly Enlightened
DON'T BUY IT! :thumbsdow

I just happened to spot this light while in K-MART this evening, and bought it to compare against my Lowe's TASK FORCE CREE. I was pretty excited by the time I got home, and immediately took it out of the package. The light itself is well made and I liked the feel of it in my hands... The battery holder had 4 slots on one side, and 2 slots on the other to hold the 6AAA Energizer batteries. There were three to choose from at the store, and two of them had emitters that looked way off center. I chose the one that was perfectly in the middle. Batteries in, and time for the test. The way it operates is you push the black click button switch once to turn it on and it goes into directly into its high mode first... Push it again and it goes into its lower mode... Push it again and it goes off.

At first sight the beam was VERY sloppy with no apparent hot spot! I was like WTF? I actually thought the HIGH mode was the low at first and clicked the button again expecting it to really light up. No dice... It went into the low mode. There was absolutely NO comparison to the beam on my TASK FORCE CREE whatsoever! I was extremely disappointed, and will be returning it tomorrow. The TASK FORCE CREE was way brighter than this piece of junk, and its beam was much much better! End of story.

Hope this helps you guys in your flashlight adventures............. :wave:

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a Dorcy at Sears for $10.00 more than the Craftsman you were looking at, that will blow away those other lights. It uses a rechargeable NiCad battery and comes with both AC and DC chargers. It is rated at 220 lumens and I think that is a very accurate measure of this light. Sorry, but I do not remember the model number. It is a large black aluminum light with a large head. The handle has a very good grip and the light is well made. I have one and it has to be the biggest surprise I have had in a light in a while. I have a few other Dorcy's, and with the exception of a small single CR123 light by them, they are pretty much run of the mill. Most of the other lights they make also use battery holders, which means if you lose it, or it breaks, you have a worthless aluminum tube! There are similar lights to this online that are brighter for close to the same price, but this one you can buy locally, get a warranty, a safer battery (as opposed to Lithium Ion cells), and you can return it if you do not like it!

Mike

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 emitter is not the most efficient, and AAA batteries don't have much capacity, even when there are six of them. Sounds like a recipie for very short runtime, and every battery change uses SIX batteries.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
If you get a light from Sears I recommend you get the Coleman 530 lumen CREE XR-E LED Tristar spotlight. It is only $10 more than the 220 lumen Dorcy and it is many times brighter than my 150 lumen Task Force CREE LED flashlight. In total darkness it can illuminate objects about 1/4 of a mile away nicely. Plus, it has a runtime of over 2 hours and can be used directly from either its 12V DC adaptor and AC charger.

I am sure that Dorcy is a very nice light but I just wanted to make this recommendation as I have the Coleman and love it.:)

Last edited: