Mag 2C Mod Options

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
What are the options for modding a 2C Maglite? I was looking at the ROP for a 2D, but I quite like the form factor of the 2C, so I might go to work on one of these as well as the ROP. I'm open to incan or LED mods. I've seen some P7 mods in a 2C, they look tempting. What else can you do with a 2C?

Thanks,

Dave.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x AW C-Cells, and Philips 5761 -- at more than 50% brighter than ROP-Hi, it's the brightest incan you can possibly cram into a 2C package.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My absolute fave Mag mod is a 3C cut down to 2C size with a tail switch. It's proportionate, balanced, easily carried, and with a Cree P5, really bright!

The P7 is nice too, but a little too heavy on the power requirement to be a good "using" light.

In incandescent mode, a ROP "low" run by three CR123s is my choice.

BSBG

Enlightened
Get yourself a pair of AW C cells, an aluminum reflector and an FM bipin socket, then an assortment of '6v' bulbs and see which you like the best - 5761, 64250 (my favorite), ROP high / low (no need for bipin socket) or...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, ROP low run on three 123a cells?

Don't they pop at 9v, or does it drag the cell voltage down to something it can handle?

What's runtime like?

Meltdown

Enlightened
i think KD has a Q5 LED drop-in for 2 cell Mags, so you could do an aspherical in a tiny package. they will totally blow your mind for what they do.

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
Incan: 2 AW C cells and bi-pins.

LED: P7 with 3 4/5C NiMH batteries (2.2Ah). I'm using a AMC driver set at 2.4A. On direct drive it would start out at 3.5A so I had to turn it down a little. I should get around 45 minutes runtime, but I havn't tested this.

With a little boring of the tailcap, you can fit 3 SubC batteries (4.5Ah).

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal favorite is a H22A heatsink, SSC U-bin (or U2 is even better), and a super high output micropuck converter.

Lets you use the stock batteries, and while the output is not super high at 500 mA, it gets a great runtime and the output is plenty for me. Very simple to build, and very little to fail.

I've made several of these for friends knowing that they will not tolerate CR123 or other uncommon batteries.