Best walking-flashlight?

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
I'm out for up to six hours in the dead of night on unlit paths and through woods, and need a flashlight that gives a wide flood of constant light. A hotspot can be distracting. If it could be altered from flood to spot, however, that'd be a bonus, not a necessity. As I'm in the UK I shall be buying blind, so to speak: for it is nigh on impossible to purchase a flashlight here, try it and return it if found wanting. Hence fellow CPFers' opinions will be invaluable.

True, I could buy a 2AA model and carry a couple of sets of spare cells; however I'll be out on the hills, too, throughout the winter and would rather not have to change batteries mid-walk, mid-night.

Your recommendations, please, gentlefolk.

Thank you,

Pierce.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing I thought of is a SF G2 with a Malkoff M60LL (see below for more info),

The output is 80+/- bulb lumens. The current draw is approximately 170ma at 6 volts. The runtime is approximately 8 hours, at full output, on 2 CR123 primary batteries. It will easily illuminate objects at 100+ feet. The LED is a Cree XRE 7090, Q5.

I can't think of anything more appropriate for what you asked, without going into a "Mag" type light. Hope this helps! My .02 FWIW YMMV

EV_007

Enlightened
I like incans for this purpose, but the LED would give you the extended runtime.

I've used the SF L2 on a few occasions. It has a nice low flood which gives you a good view of the area just in front of you. You don't need to sweep the light back and fourth since the flood gives you excellent field of view.

High beam is just a further press away if needed.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Get yourself an HDS twisty.It has great throw on the higher settings and will run for 10+hours on the lower settings witch are still bright enough to easily walk around with at night.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Zebralight H30?

80 Lumens on High (110 bulb Lumens)
20 Lumens on Medium (27 bulb Lumens)
4 Lumens on Low (5.5 bulb Lumens)

Runtimes
3.7 days on Low
21 hours on Medium
2.5 hours on High

The H30 takes CR123A's, the H50 runs on AA's but has a wider beam and has less output.

https://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=89

I have a review here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194427

If you don't want a headband you could go with a Fenix L2D if you want 2xAA for long run times. I find the low or medium levels on the Fenix lights work well for walking. Too much light will kill your night adapted eyes.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
For walking I actually find a mixed beamshape with some throw quite useful and my choice is the TiPD-S or standard Malk in a 6P. The HDS recommended by Thermal Guy has a similar beam shape to the PD-S.

However, if flood is where you see your benefits then I'd go for a Zebralight, 6P with a flood drop in or a McG Mule.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I'm unclear. Do you want a light with no hot spot whatsoever? The only thing I can think of like that would be a zebralight. If you just want a flashlight with plenty of spill and a hot spot that's not too concentrated, I like the Tk10 from fenix. I use mine with rechargeables. The low mode is fine for walking and the high is great if you need a lot of light.
If you don't mind a headlamp, there are a few models with diffusers that work great for floody goodness like the energizer hardcase professional or the Rayovac AA but the runtime on the Rayovac probably puts it out of contention.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
First thing I thought of is a SF G2 with a Malkoff M60LL
+1

Actually +4, since I have four M60LL in four G2 hosts - do you think I like them:crackup:

Gene states 80 bulb lumens, which I believe, as my tests show 60.7 lumens out the front, through the Lexan window. This number increases to 61.6 when a 6P head (Pyrex window) is installed.

Lumens aside, the beam from the Malkoff is nothing but beautiful. Warm tint, soft hotspot that fades to spill, a really nice light to walk with. And one set of primaries will run all night:D

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Get a headlight also with one or two of the above recommendations! :)

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

alibaba

Enlightened
I'd go with something that uses a cluster of 5mm led's for a nice, even floody beam. Something like this for a headlight:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Petzl_Tikka_PLUS.php
or something like this for a handheld torch:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Inova_X5_LED_Flashlight.php
or this:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LED_Flashlight.php

There are many options but it sounds like for your needs you'd be best served by a cluster of 5mm's vs. a single high-power led. Good luck!

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
I have nowhere near the experience that many of the folks here have but my limited experience has shown that the tiny EO or EO1 will allow you to walk at a sedate pace and see OK. Not great but OK and they burn for 21 hrs. on a single AAA.

I have a Dereelight CL1H V3.0 which is powered by a single 18650 rechargeable and on high, it's way too much, medium is still quite powerfull for just strolling along, but low is a thing of beauty, gives good walking light out to about 20' and you always have medium and high for the times when you need it. I don't know what you'd get on low for burn time, but it would be substantial, probably measured in days, not hours.

Regards,
Pat

drmaxx

Enlightened
Not quite sure what kind of walking you talk about. But it sounds like you planning to cover some unknown territory?
For this I usually use my Princeton Tec Apex. If the path is easy then I usually have the 4 LEDs on low, pointing forward quite a bit. It's like walking in full moon - and there is no hotspot to distract me. If there is need (e.g. more dangerous path) then I always can switch to high or use the 3W spotlight to look ahead. With this mode of operation the 4 AA batteries last for days.

A headlamp for this kind of walking is great - much better then any handheld operation. The bugs are not too bad if you keep a steady pace (not a problem in Winter anyway).

MWClint

Enlightened
when walking the dog at night i grab the 3D mag p7.
the p7 with 10000 mah D nimh's lasts a few days between charges as i
usually dim it down to about a 1amp setting for general purpose+extended
use. at 1amp it's still very bright (guessing ~250-300lumens) and can blast the full monty when needed.

Zeige

Enlightened
If you could get your hands on one of these, imo it would be the "the best walking-flashlight" :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s&feature=related

On a serious note... how bout an N30? you could use the cluster leds for your main walk (it will last as long as you need) and if you need to look behind you say 800 yards, you just fire up the HID :twothumbs

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not LED, but the best IMO is the Polarion PH50 w/ Diffuser Filter. About an hour of constant runtime. Superior in flood and output to any combo previously posted, likely superior in flood and output to any combo to be suggested afterwards. For LED, I would suggest the upcoming Wiseled Tactical as the best walking light.

Last edited:

arty

Enlightened
The Malkoff dropin is fine in a Maglight. If you use a stippled reflector you get a nice floody beam. If you use a diffusion filter, you get even more flood. Runtime is much more than you need. I generally use the Malkoff in a 4D mag, but have the dropin and a stippled reflector in a 3D. Both are great.

Even without any diffusion, you can get a strong spot and a wide flood at the same time with the dropin. You can diffuse the spot if you wish.