LS3 ~= LS5? (latest "5w" design)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
LS3 ~= LS5? (latest \"5w\" design)

As you know, Arc produced the first production flashlight to use a 5W LED back in January. This was a limited run because I don't feel the lumileds 5W part is ready for primetime yet. The run time is still rated by the manufacturer at 1,000 hours. Compare this to the 100k hours for their 1 watt parts.

Recently, Lumileds has indicated that in Q3, they will increase the rating to 50k hours.

I think 50k hours is sufficient for us to re-introduce the Arc-LS with the 5w emitter. The increased hour rating combined with our underdriving of the part will make the light durable enough to last a lifetime. I also would combine the improved emitter with our new LS4 technology.

The goal is to create a light for use by LEOs, search and rescue, military, etc. This light is not intended to be an EDC as much as a mission committed light. The light will not replace the LS4 as that is intended to be our premier pocket/EDC light.

The result of the new emitter and LS4 technology would be the LS5. The LS5 would drive the 5w emitter at about 3 watts in level 4 (L4) and close to 5watts in boost mode. The form factor would be the large pocket light with a 2x123 battery. The housing and optics would be enlarged to further optimize the LS5 efficiency. Delivery date is still very sketchy at this point because it is dependant on our LS4 progress and on Lumiled's release of the improved emitter. However, I would love to have this ready in time for Christmas.

I should repeat that this is still very prelimenary. It could be delayed. The light could be dissapointing. It could be outrageously expensive. It is too soon to say.

Btw, I wanted to comment on a disturbing trend I have seen in how flashlights with 5watt emitters are referenced. Manufacturers are calling these lights "5 watters" when in fact, most are never being driven at 5 actual watts. Many I have seen are in the 2-4 watt range. The LS5 is not a true, "5 Watt" flashlight in my opinion. Yes, it will probally drive the emitter at 5 watts in boost mode, but it is really a 3 watt flashlight. In fact, I am not totally comfortable with calling it the LS5 because this will be confusing. I can't call it the LS3 either. So I am interested in your suggestions on what to call this unit.

We still have a lot of work to do with the LS4 over the next couple of months!

Peter Gransee

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LS3 ~= LS5? (latest

SPIFFY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(I always wanted to say that...)

Dan

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LS3 ~= LS5? (latest \"5w\" design)

Great News

Peter thank you for keeping us up to date with developments at Arc, your open approach is much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

How about LS35 (for 3 - 5 watts) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

peter, when and if thist is ready...it will be christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ls5 sounds alright to me...after all, the ls4 isn't using a 4w emitter...

in regards to size, do you have any approximate dimensions, or care to comment about comparisons to other popular 2 123 lights. (i think you know which one i'm talking about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

this sounds like a great idea! several people have commented about the ls4 using a 5w, and it woulds seem that you were a step ahead of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so are you saying, that except for the size, this will be a 5w ls4?

also, this will of course require additional heatsinking, would you care to comment on how you plan on doing this?

also, you mentioned optics...do you mean optics, or a reflector? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seth

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
also, you mentioned optics...do you mean optics, or a reflector? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that...

It seems to me that an ( orange-peel ) reflector may be superior to the NX-05.

Seth

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter - I think LS5 is just the PERFECT name for this beast

It follows the LS1,2,3,4 naming convention, it does use a 5W LS emitter, it can drive it at 5W in boost mode - what more can you ask for ?

Oh - and a 5 Watter with a dimmer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Paypal sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

Peter -

In keeping with your current naming convention for the Arc LS series, in my opinion, the LS5 is more than appropriate. Your ability to be straightforward and candid about the potential LS5 not being a "true 5 Watt" is very admirable... truth before advertising. Excellent.

I'm not an LED expert, but my math is still pretty sharp -- the 50k hour rating by Lumileds is indeed sufficient for the useful lifespan of a light, more than sufficient, given the parameters you have suggested for tasking this light.

Again, just my opinion, but I think it would be great to have a mission specific light that was tasked for the very area where LEDs have such a small marketplace as it were. If I could have a 5W light that could actually come close to 5 Watts on "burst" mode, then I'd make it a necessary carry for any on-duty activity. Particularly, any light that is compact enough to carry, has the option to put out a strong source of light, and features the longer burn time of an LED, is always on the mind (or wish list) of any individual that heavily relies on light during a mission specific objective.

Thanks for sharing this idea with us... I think it's an interesting concept that has a place for many LE/military applications.

-Jim

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Wow, something to make me feel better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found out last night that I lost my LS3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
I really liked it.
Now I have a hole in my jacket (and a hole in my wallet).

I'll be waiting on the LS5....

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened

Decisions, decisions. LS4 or LS5? Lucky I have some time to make up my mind.

What will be the projected runtime on the LS5?

Spidey82

Enlightened

IMO, i would rather EDC a LS5. when u post abt the LS4, i was wondering if something like LS 5 is going to come out soon. and den now BINGO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would be happier if u could keep it at E2 size, with a clip. cause i always have my E2 in my pocket(abt a year and a half now) and i am so use to the size and clip. anything without a clip will not be considered by me. i am sure there will be alot of "clip-Fan" out there. Linfeng

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

yes peter...e2e sized with a sapphire crystal lens and a bezeldown clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

really though...i would dearly love to see a better lens than the lexan...maybe the superbrite stuff?

LLLean

Enlightened

I concur. LS5 is the most appropriate name. The number has never indicated the wattage, so don't worry about it.

I hope this one will be very much brighter (longer throw) than the LS4, so it will occupy a different niche from the LS4.

Thanks, Peter

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
I think it's an interesting concept that has a place for many LE/military applications.

-Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. My favorite light is my LSH-P, my second favorite is my other LSH-P but I often carry an E2e because of it's brightness. Since I've had my LS all I could think about was a 5 Watt/2 x 123 LS.

Peter,
Call it whatever the hell you want... I'm buying one!

-Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts