AA flashlight for friend headed to Afghanistan

cash2006

Newly Enlightened
He thinks AA batts will be easier to get, and I want to send him something bright and durable. While the Fenix single cell will be more convenient, the double might be harder to lose.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you all

meuge

Enlightened
He thinks AA batts will be easier to get, and I want to send him something bright and durable. While the Fenix single cell will be more convenient, the double might be harder to lose.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you all
There are two problems with Fenix AA lights that would make them less desirable in the field:

1. They are not grippy (the smooth anodized coat sans the checkering will be hard to hold onto).
2. They do not have an actual low level. (15lm is not that low).

So while I LOVE my Fenix L2DR100, and my P2D/warm white P4 (writeup coming soon), I don't know if they are field lights.

You could get your friend a Nitecore DI or D10. These lights are simple to operate, very grippy, and have a real low low.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
From my experience, DO NOT get the the D10. With the environmental conditions in Afghan, the switching mechanism will not last a week. It will get stuck due to the evaporation of lubricant and soft spring tension, or sometimes get stuck in the brightness ramping mode. While the piston drive may work well in theory, sorry to say it doesn't work well in ROUGH OUTDOOR usage where the environment conditions are not as ideal such as indoor and urban areas. (I know I'm gonna get some flak from this, but this is my experience and stand fully by it. If yours work well then that's good.)

The DI should be ok, but for durabiity a dependability you might also want to look into a twisty light.

My suggestion would be the Fenix L1D.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience, DO NOT get the the D10. With the environmental conditions in Afghan, the switching mechanism will not last a week. It will get stuck due to the evaporation of lubricant and soft spring tension, or sometimes get stuck in the brightness ramping mode. While the piston drive may work well in theory, sorry to say it doesn't work well in ROUGH OUTDOOR usage where the environment conditions are not as ideal such as indoor and urban areas. (I know I'm gonna get some flak from this, but this is my experience and stand fully by it. If yours work well then that's good.)

The DI should be ok, but for durabiity a dependability you might also want to look into a twisty light.

My suggestion would be the Fenix L1D.
This is why one should never judge upon a single user's post or "experience".

My D10s (yes I have 3 of them) work flawlessly, are way more silent than any plastic "clicky" lights, and very durable for EDC carry, even in extreme hot / humid environments. I would not hesitate to trust them in any environment.

PS - I've PM'd you to ask about where you experienced your "hot and dry" climate with your D10, since it's currently winter in Australia right now. Awaiting your response... :popcorn:

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened
An Olight T10/T15 maybe? (or the T20/T25)
Or the combo that has both tubes so he can use 123s or AAs.
Or the Lumapower LM31/LM33? More economical and still gets the job done. Very simple interface too.

My bro (82nd ABN, Iraq theater) said that in his supply group, they had plenty of surefire 123 batts. Although, alternatively, you could also send him with a pack of good rechargeable AAs?

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Sorry, but why do you assume it was from a single experience? Btw the Afghan air is hot and dry which is worse for the librication which is key for the effective functioning of the piston drive.

Btw I got a suggestion for a twisty too, look into the Fenix P1 could be good. It shouldn't be difficult for him to get CR123 batteries from his QM department.

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i would send a Fenix L1T V2.0, simple two stage light. There have been some issues with the D10, and i dont know if they are solved.

Alex

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but why do you assume it was from a single experience? Btw the Afghan air is hot and dry which is worse for the librication which is key for the effective functioning of the piston drive.

Btw I got a suggestion for a twisty too, look into the Fenix P1 could be good. It shouldn't be difficult for him to get CR123 batteries from his QM department.
I travel all over the US for work. I spend quite a bit of time in Arizona, which has very hot temperatures this time of the year. I've left my D10 in the car, as well as using it outside, with temperatures exceeding 120 degrees, and no negative effects so far. :shrug:

By the way, July in Arizona for extreme heat is like January in the Arctic for the extreme cold. Isn't it winter in Australia right now? According to weather.com, it's about 55 - 60 degrees F there right now (in Melbourne), so I'm curious how your experience with the D10 in hot and dry weather came about (since it only was introduced a few weeks ago). Are you deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan right now? :thinking:

Last edited:

youreacrab

Enlightened
I'd recommend an Olight--they are similar to the fenix but much easier to grip and have better capabilities to throw light a great distance. The tints on the Olights are fantastic neutral white too.

Olight T15 is the 1xAA model.

Olight T25-Tactical is a fantastic 2xAAlight--easily my brightest with amazing throw. I would go for the 2xAA format for a real outdoors user. 1xAA is great for backup.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1D with P2D Body & tailcap and your set , proven reliable, great output and efficiency

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L2D and L1D body. If it's too slippery add O-rings or wrap in tape.

If a "very low" low is important the D-10 CAN be used as a twisty. Any light with a tailcap lockout like the Fenix Lxx series can be clicked on and then use the tailcap as a twisty switch.

gorn

Enlightened
You're buddy won't have any problem finding AA or CR123's in Afghanistan. My Son spent 14 months in Iraq. I sent him several lights. The one that worked the best for him was a huntlight with AA and CR123 bodies. I forget which model it is. It survived everything he put it through including long dunkings in canals.

He also had a Typhoon. He loved the interface but it didn't survive the canals.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
It will get stuck due to the evaporation of lubricant
Is this an issue with the kinds of oils you'd find on a light? I thought the only thing that was liable to happen was that it would get too grimy to lubricate well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Is the ability to use red a requirement, as it is for many troops?

For a small 1xAA light, I also highly recommend the Photon Proton Pro. It has both white and red built in. White on high is around 80-100 lumens (I don't remember, but it's pretty bright), but on low it's very low, and will run around 250 hours. On red, you can ramp from very very dim with over 500 hours of runtime, to a rather bright red. It's fully adjustable to any level in between on both red and white.

pipspeak

Enlightened
You're buddy won't have any problem finding AA or CR123's in Afghanistan. My Son spent 14 months in Iraq. I sent him several lights. The one that worked the best for him was a huntlight with AA and CR123 bodies. I forget which model it is. It survived everything he put it through including long dunkings in canals.

He also had a Typhoon. He loved the interface but it didn't survive the canals.

Was probably the Huntlight FT02XJ... 1xCR123 or 2xAA.

I guess the upshot of this thread is that there is no perfect light. Frankly I would think any of the better Chinese branded lights would be fine, especially if they use double o-ring seals and you can get a spare switch.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this an issue with the kinds of oils you'd find on a light? I thought the only thing that was liable to happen was that it would get too grimy to lubricate well.
Most lubricants should operate well into the higher temperatures. The thin Nyogel 760G for example is rated for -40°C to 135°C (-40 F to 275 F) temperature ranges. Thicker lubricants should have even higher temperature thresholds.

I'm finding the idea of lubricants evaporating into the air to be pretty far fetched, unless you're using WD-40, which is designed to evaporate.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding the idea of lubricants evaporating into the air to be a pretty unlikely scenario, unless you're using WD-40, which is designed to evaporate.

Also how likely would it be for the light to reach 135F+ if one would normally carry it in a pocket, in a bag, etc? I wouldn't normally leave my EDC laying out in the open to bake in the mid day sun. It would come out once it's dark, when the temps would be much cooler.

Looks like we have another troll.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also how likely would it be for the light to reach 135F+ if one would normally carry it in a pocket, in a bag, etc? I wouldn't normally leave my EDC laying out in the open to bake in the mid day sun. It would come out once it's dark, when the temps would be much cooler.
Yup, it's 135 C, which equates to 275 F. I think my skin would be burned to a crisp holding a light that hot.. :crazy::poof:

Agree with your other comment as well, but awaiting a reply before I make final judgement.

Last edited: