One of my favorite flashaholic fixes - annual beach trip

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'm headed to the beach next week and it always is one of my favorite times to test out some lights away from home and in a darker environment. Of course, the dilemma is always what to take... :)

Thankfully no hurricanes are in the forecast so I won't need a lot of emergency light it appears. Two Energizer LED lanterns will make the trip for night lights in the kids room and main room. Dereelight CL1H v3.0 for hunting for ghost crabs and night walks. Novatac 85P for all around EDC use...

The question is whether I take along a few extras, and more importantly, if I take the Mag85 - no practical use but there is a certain appeal to just throwing out that much light cause you can!

Does anyone else have an annual vacation where you get to use your lights more than usual? I'm guessing some campers have got that covered!

southernlites

Newly Enlightened
A week at Disney World staying at one of their hotels provides plenty of opportunity to use lights both day and night. I'm very careful not to ruin the ambience of any ride though. A light comes in handy for finding dropped items, reading menus, lighting walkways,etc.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I just got back from a week at Myrtle Beach and I took my Malkoff 3C, DBS v2 and my P1D Q5 and I pretty much had the brightest lights on the beach. My DBS has a pill problem so it was used on high the whole time until it just stopped working. I think someone that stayed at the same place as I did had a SF G2 with a bright led in it. Anyway, have fun.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I just got back from a week at Myrtle Beach and I took my Malkoff 3C, DBS v2 and my P1D Q5 and I pretty much had the brightest lights on the beach. My DBS has a pill problem so it was used on high the whole time until it just stopped working. I think someone that stayed at the same place as I did had a SF G2 with a bright led in it. Anyway, have fun.

We're headed to Myrtle Beach as well - 5th year going with the in laws to the same place, very good times and a great location.

Of course it is a little bit closer for me in Charlotte, NC than Maryland!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I went to the beach, I had a ROP-low-LE and for some reason, everyone on the beach that night was catching crabs, with some sort of flashlight. Only one person had something brighter, looked like a Thor from where I was standing.

My mother borrowed my Malkoff'd 6p for a walk on the beach, but ended up disappointed with the throw - not realizing she had the diffuser on the whole time.

I think next time I go, I'll stick with the Aviator - not so bright as to ruin the ambiance, but bright enough to reach out and touch someone in a pinch.

Of course next time, I have to bring the Fivemega-upgraded ROP-hi to see the difference... so yes, bring the hotwire. If only to have a chance to see just how well it lights up the coast.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I just got back from the beach and had to limit myself to 12 lights.:sigh:

My custom polished genEric 3C Defender "Colossus" was the star and ran through many sets of primaries. Followed in use was a 2 X 18650 Leef Malkoff M60L setup. Fenix TK11 got some throwy use and a Surefire E2L with a water bottle cap diffuser running a 17650 cell (came from Surefire big enough to hold an AW cell!) was a great night-light!

Take a bunch!

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
We're headed to Myrtle Beach as well - 5th year going with the in laws to the same place, very good times and a great location.

Of course it is a little bit closer for me in Charlotte, NC than Maryland!

Where do you stay at MB? I have been going there for the last 20 years staying at Ocean Creek Resort and for the last 10 years at a place called Sea Watch Resort. Enjoy.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Where do you stay at MB? I have been going there for the last 20 years staying at Ocean Creek Resort and for the last 10 years at a place called Sea Watch Resort. Enjoy.

My inlaws bought two units at the Marriott Oceanwatch Villas - which looks like it is basically in the same place as Sea Watch - just on the other side of the Dunes Club. That is a great location I think - very convenient but far enough away from the main areas that it is not super crowded. The Marriott is still under construction - but they are 4/5 done so hopefully this will be the last year where there is a lot of work activity - although it hasn't been a big deal thus far. I have two small kids, 2.5yo and 6.5yo so we're going to do the Alligator Adventure this year and hopefully take the older one for putt putt one night - any recommendations? Heck I'd welcome any suggestions on places to go, things to do etc... from an MB expert (back channel is fine!) and say thanks in advance!

As for lights, aw what the heck I'm taking them all! :)

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
We went to Alligator Adventure a few years ago and really didn't care for it, but thats not saying your family won't. Barefoot Landing is a very popular spot and this year they have the new Hard Rock Amusement Park but your kids may be to young to enjoy it. Have fun!