Some suggestions please

johnny_blaze

Newly Enlightened
I'm in construction and need a nice, durable LED flashlight for work. I'd like to keep it under 30, but it has to be pretty bright. An adjustable beam would be great, but not necessary.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

That's a different model... That has 7, 5mm LEDs... The one I pointed you to has just one, 1 watt Luxeon LED.. I only have experience with the luxeon model, and it's a great torch... Never used the 7, 5mm version though I'd say that it will not throw anywhere near as far, or be as bright as the luxeon version.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
yeah I also get the feeling those stats aren't right.....67 lumens for 155 hours?? Seems unlikely

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nuwai Lux V light. It is very bright, but it runs hot and therefore it does not have great battery life. I would also suggest the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux model, [which I have two of]. I think it would be GREAT at a worksite, and plenty bright for almost all applications. A bit over a year ago, IIRC, someone did a test of it where they dropped it from 50 ft onto concrete seven times and it still worked. He was going to drop it again the next day, but the light "walked away" - someone must have felt sorry for it. There are very few aluminum lights that could withstand that kind of abuse. ProPolys are well know for their toughness. Streamlights are made in USA with a great replacement policy - pretty much no questions asked. For a worksite, I also think a light using AAs would be the best.

Wyeast

Enlightened
I'd like a little more context about what you want to use the light for. I'm in a related field (Structural Engineer) and I use a few lights when I'm out on a construction jobsite:

Inova Bolt 2AA: This is my basic "go to" light. Small enough to carry in a belt sheath or pocket, so it's always with me. Bright enough for most close/mid ranged tasks. Tough as nails. Honestly tho' in this category you can go with a variety of lights, including the Fenix E20. The rubber grip on the Inova is nice when you're working in the rain.

Task Force Cree 2C: This is my "goin' spelunkin'" light for when I'm doing surveys below ground. Long throw and tight hotspot means I can light up something far across the way without getting overly blinded by having all the framing next to me lit up.

Petzl Myo XP: Nothing beats a headlamp when you gotta go hands-free, whether it's monkeying around in the rafters, or having to work on some power tool that's gone down on you.

Oh, which reminds me. There is one place where plastic rules over aluminum lights, and that's if you're going to be working anywhere near the electrical guys. Nothing like dropping a light and having it short across a circuit. In which case I'd definitely suggest either the ProPoly or something from Pelican.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not terrible for the price, but it is a battery eater and not as bright as modern LEDs. Like Wyeast stated above if you have a specific use in mind it'll help us narrow down the search a bit. Small for pocket carry like a 1xAA light? Or something a bit larger like the afformentioned Lowe's Task Force Cree?

Also if you jump up to ~$50 price range you get a big leap in quality and performance as far as small, compact lights are concerned.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
CostCo has the Leatherman light called the Monarch 500, a Cree light with purported 140 or so lumens, and I believe it. It is sturdy stainless steel construction, runs with a surprisingly decent runtime on 3 AAA's, has a sturdy nylon holster, and even comes with an extra set of AAA's, and it has good throw along with adjustable focus. All for $29 or so. Great light.

johnny_blaze

Newly Enlightened
I'd like a little more context about what you want to use the light for. I'm in a related field (Structural Engineer) and I use a few lights when I'm out on a construction jobsite:

I'm a superintendent, so I'm not exactly doing grunt labor any more, but I do a lot of inspections and checkups on everything my laborers do, and that requires a flashlight quite a bit. The more I think about it, the more adjustable settings seem important to me.

johnny_blaze

Newly Enlightened
CostCo has the Leatherman light called the Monarch 500, a Cree light with purported 140 or so lumens, and I believe it. It is sturdy stainless steel construction, runs with a surprisingly decent runtime on 3 AAA's, has a sturdy nylon holster, and even comes with an extra set of AAA's, and it has good throw along with adjustable focus. All for $29 or so. Great light.

I saw this and a Dorcy light set there, but wasn't sure about buying either.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest looking at this thread. The main problem is that most of the lights in that thread take a while to ship to you.

How much runtime, performance, and battery would you like?
What about different modes(low, high, etc)?

If you don't mind slower shipping, I'd suggest something like this or this because of the smaller size and good output.

:welcome:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Maglite with an LED? The 2-AA and 3-AA models can both be found for under $30, and you can usually find a 2-3 cell D for under that too.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If adjustable light output is important, a Fenix L2D might be the right light. This can be carried in a pocket, if that is important.

My first post here forgot something important....Welcome to CPF.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D is a great first light, but it is way above what you are budgeting for yourself.

You can get some nice lights at DX. In my opnion this one is a great bargain. It fits within your budget, offers 3 different output levels, plus strobe and SOS. It gives you a Q5, one of the latest LED's out there, operates off a single AA, and will give you a light output of about 120 lumens on max. Its beam is quite nice without the usual Cree artifacts you see on most lights.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10688