Anybody has a streamlight super tac yet? UPDATE: bought one

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched here and google, information regard this light seems pretty scarce, no user pics and no detailed reviews.

Anybody have one yet? How's the throw compare to the range of chinese throwers? The giant parabolic reflector on it seems to make it a good thrower, and runtime is 135 lumens (which I assume is out front?) for 2.5 hours before dropping out of regulation.

SL has a runtime graph in the spec sheet. http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/202.pdf

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
Re: Anybody has a streamlight super tac yet?

I dont own one but have had the opportunity to play around with one.It does have a very tight beam,but I didnt have the chance to compare it with any other lights.

The lumen rating is out the front,notice the spec sheet, "measured system output".

Thanks,
Michael

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened

I have one and it's a doozie! Better throw than either my SL20 or my Stinger (both incandescent). It's good for a hundred yards + with plenty of spill. It pretty much brought my search for a thrower to a screeching halt until the Invictus hits the market.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thought of it, didn't luxeon have problems with their flip chip leds? So are the ones in supertac affected?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

The super tac will have a very tight spot (like the survivorled since they share the same reflector) that should easily paint things at 200 yards. It will NOT have as bright of a spillbeam as a Tiablo/MRV/DBS and is only 2/3's as bright overall. If you want a very thin beam that will project a long way.... keep in mind, you are lighting up a piece of a object... not the whole thing, the super tac could be a good light for you.

If you want some spill with your spot, and the brightest output... you need to look at the Tiablo/DBS/Spear...etc.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with survivor led so I can't compare, but pure output isn't a concern because that can be modded. Is the hotspot of super tac tighter same as tiablo/dbs etc.? I want to find a light that puts as much of total output into a small hotspot as possible, and this looks neat while still have a reasonable size.

GreySave

Enlightened

Woodrow is correct on all counts. I have a Super Tac and the beam is quite tight, it does expand enough to be quite useable at long distances. I would say based upon my use at an exercise this spring and measured by Google Earth that it will throw a very useable beam over 400 feet and up to 500 feet. I have not had a chance to use it at 600 feet. I truly believe it will illuminate an object at that distance, just not sure how useable it will be. At 400 to 500 feet I found it very useable (This was in total darkness).

For me the Super Tac was the perfect bridge between normal shorter range lights and my HID lights. Very bright and tight beam that throws well AND momentary use as needed.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay just came back from store, they had two in stock. I tried both, one is really blue, and the other is pretty warm. But the blue one has better focus than the warm one, lucky they let me swap the reflectors so I bought the warm one with better focused reflector. :D Paid more than online price but I suppose that's justified by me playing lego in stores and picked better parts lol.

First impression is this thing throws like crazy, but I'll have to compare to my mag which is my most throwy light. In depth review to come if I decide this light is a keeper.

GreySave

Enlightened
I think it will fair quite well against your mag. I have a three cell mag with a Diamond 3 watt LED drop in that focuses down to a nice tight beam and the Super Tac still trumps it solidly. Unless you installed some serious firepower in place of the stock lamp the reflector design of the Super Tac should win out.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have swapped a seoul led into it so its fire power should within 10 lumens of super tac's, time to pit mag reflector against streamlight reflector. :)

N/Apower

Enlightened
I bought one and promptly sold it off. It would not fit in my Elzetta mount without hitting the barrel of my AR.

It had a very white and VERY tight beam. I loved it other than fitment. I have replaced it with a Surefire 6P LED and await my BOG Q5.

TexLite

Enlightened
jzmtl,

Do you have a way to measure the current to the emitter?I'm thinking about picking one up for a multi-chip swap but wondering if it would be worth it.If that K2 is run at 1400-1500ma,then an MC-E or P7 swapped in would make this a 400lm monster.:D

About the recalled K2 TFFC's.Fred had gotten a batch of the 200lm TFFC a few months back,which would make me think they are producing them again,maybe in limited quantities.The 160lm are available I think,but I havent seen any more of the 200lm come up.

Thanks,
Michael

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any equipment to measure the current and shorting it out with multimeter apparently could kill the driver so I don't want to try that. But I'd say the emitter is seeing well under an amp, consider it runs for two hours and half before dropping out of regulation, and only makes ~200 lumen at emitter. The emitter (and possibly driver) seems easily accessable thou, haven't tried that yet.

Basement test shows it has a smaller hot spot than mag, I'll have to wait till dark to try again. Haven't decided if I want to keep this light thou since as far as 2x123a lights are concerned this thing is GIANOURMOUS, so is the holster. Definately not pocketable, borderline for belt carry.

Oh and if anybody wonders why the head is huge, it's literally all reflector. It is that deep, all the way down to where the horizontal rings end.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately looks like it's actually not upgradable. The LED and driver is housed in a metal pill that appears to be press fit, and to upgrade that is beyond me.

GreySave

Enlightened
I'm sorry. I should have thought to warn you about the size. I am so used to carrying so much on my belt that I never thought about it, although even I rarely belt carry this one. I usually only carry it when I think the need will arise. That holster is so large I think some folks might think you were carrying a side arm.

NickBose

Enlightened
Just curious: what is a C4 LED? Nowadays we're talking about Cree R2, Q5, Q2 or SSC P7, etc so who made the C4?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried it against my seoul'ed magled, for all practical purposes I can't tell the difference between the two in both hotspot size and intensity. A little disappointed in that consider how deep the reflector is on streamlight.

I'm sorry. I should have thought to warn you about the size. I am so used to carrying so much on my belt that I never thought about it, although even I rarely belt carry this one. I usually only carry it when I think the need will arise. That holster is so large I think some folks might think you were carrying a side arm.

No problem at all, this isn't going to be my EDC so size isn't too much of concern.

Don't suppose an 18650 will fit into the body will it?
Afraid not, internal diameter is 17.26 mm.

Just curious: what is a C4 LED? Nowadays we're talking about Cree R2, Q5, Q2 or SSC P7, etc so who made the C4?
C4 LED is whatever streamlight is using in the light, it's just their jargon with no specific meaning. In this one they use luxeon K2 and call it C4, in Argo headlight they use cree and call it C4 as well.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, guess if it can't hold an 18650 it doesn't even have decent mod potential then. Streamlight is quickly going down the M@g path (for different reasons) and will likely soon have its own big joke threads soon. Which is too bad because some of their lights have such great potential.