Can I use E2DL Head on 1 Cell Body?

PseudoFed

Enlightened
If I want to play legos and prefer the striker bezel of the E2DL, but want to use the E1B body, or even my Vital Gear 1 cell body, can I safely do it? Anyone know how the E2DL output is compared to the E1B on one cell? (I think I'd like to use the E2DL head, E1B body, and E2DL tailcap to make an "E1DL")

Thoughts?

Thanks....Jeff.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I got brave and tried it. I have my answer, and it's "No". The E2DL head does not even light up with 1 cell. I guess the circuit needs two. Oh well!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The E2DL(and E2L) both have a 6v input from the batteries. Since a White LED runs at around 3.6v, it would have a buck circuit to lower the voltage. A buck circuit can't boost the voltage so the light won't work.

A RCR123 might work but I have no way of testing my guess and wouldn't try it.

rtt

Enlightened
Yes, according to Tung RCR 123 work. See link below and read the entire thread below. By the way Tung is a great Dealer!

FS: *MORE!* Surefire BLACK E Parts (E2DL, E1B, E1e-BK) *FREE SHIPPING* (
multipage.gif
1 2 3)
ttran97

Kato

Enlightened
I've tried my E2DL head with a single RCR123a, as well as with a 17650. They both worked fine. The output is slightly less than that of two CR123a or two RCR123a cells, but it still is plenty bright.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2DL and KX2 heads will work in a 1 cell body with an RCR123 3.7v battery.

E1B and KX1 heads won't work with an RCR123 3.7v battery because the circuitry is different and will try to regulate the voltage, resulting in a slow-strobe effect.

Daark

Banned
I've tried my E2DL head with a single RCR123a, as well as with a 17650. They both worked fine. The output is slightly less than that of two CR123a or two RCR123a cells, but it still is plenty bright.

Have you really trying to run your E2DL-LED with two RCR123 ? i believe that is to much voltage to handle 8,4v. For how long time did you run the E2DL with these two RCR123 ? Is it a new or older version of E2D-LED ?

Sorry if i make "DM-51" angry again...with all my question.

Last edited:

Kato

Enlightened
Have you really trying to run your E2DL-LED with two RCR123 ? i believe that is to much voltage to handle 8,4v. For how long time did you run the E2DL with these two RCR123 ? Is it a new or older version of E2D-LED ?

Sorry if i make "DM-51" angry again...with all my question.

The E2DL I have is one of the original single-stage versions. The longest I've run the light on two RCR123a cells is about five minutes. Bright beam with no problems noted.

Daark

Banned
The E2DL I have is one of the original single-stage versions. The longest I've run the light on two RCR123a cells is about five minutes. Bright beam with no problems noted.

Do you have the failed version with only one output mode? 120Lumens?
Is there any difference between that one and the other one with two output mode: 5-120Lumens..when you use 2 x RCR123 ?

The light must have been "very hot" when you feed it with 8,4v ? :green:

To DM-51 Sorry that i wrote "failed version" i hope i'm not make you to angry because of that. (Sorry!)

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Daark..

There was no failed version of the E2DL. All along it was destined to be a single output flashlight, you would of noticed it in the catalog. During the release they changed it to dual output, by then some single output units had made it to dealers. Some people prefer single output, some people prefer dual output. The single output units are considered rare.

The E2DL can take RCR's due to the circuitry. You might get less runtime using RCR's, brightness should be the same.

If you seriously don't want DM-51 angry, then stop referring to it in every post. He is ok with you asking questions, just keep it within the rules and regulations.

Nathan

Enlightened
Anyone know how the E2DL output is compared to the E1B on one cell? (I think I'd like to use the E2DL head, E1B body, and E2DL tailcap to make an "E1DL")

The E2DL with an RCR123 is noticeably brighter than the E1B. An "E1DL" with an E1B body and Z68 tailcap has been my primary EDC for a few weeks now and it's one of my favorites. I just don't care for the strike bezel on a pocket carry light.