Inova X1 Mod thread..COMPLETED...X1 with a Nichia GS!

cyberspyder

Enlightened
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

What do you think? The machining Inova did wasn't perfect, there are a couple of marks left in the stainless steel, but that'll require work with some wet/dry sandpaper and being tiny, it's going to be a b!tch. Dremel FTW!

dsc00575uv4.jpg

dsc00572gs8.jpg

oohzf9.jpg

A comparison between the stock (left) and the polished (right)^

Brendan

Last edited:

cyberspyder

Enlightened
Re: Ooh, that's one shiny reflector (X1)...

Pics of my progress so far:

dsc00583ud2.jpg

Epoxied the wires leading to the new LED (the old one snapped off, had no way of getting the legs out of the board)

dsc00585jx4.jpg

Modded one end of the spring...opened and stretched it out a bit to make room for the wires

dsc00586zu4.jpg

Spring and driver board pic

Brendan

cyberspyder

Enlightened
Re: Ooh, that's one shiny reflector (X1)...

Yay, updates...replaced the LED with a random temporarily blue LED I found and gave her a test run to see if my soldering and epoxy work had messed anything up:

dsc00595om7.jpg

A 'before' picture...

dsc00609ul5.jpg

On....

dsc00610bk4.jpg

Off...

dsc00613go0.jpg

Bezel shot...

dsc00602we7.jpg

dsc00604yq3.jpg

A little 'solarize' action to show the different shades of blue emitted...thought it looked cool...probably is useless

dsc00617az2.jpg

Smooth beamshot

Brendan

chitoz28

Newly Enlightened
Re: Inova X1 Mod thread..UPDATED AUG. 6

Hey, nice work. How did you remove the reflector? I have an Inova X03 that I'd like to take a part, but I don't want to break it. Thanks.

cyberspyder

Enlightened

IMO after trying out both the CS and the GS, I liked the beam of the CS better as it had a smoother transition from hotspot to the sidespill...BUT the GS was quite a bit brighter, so decided to put the GS in. Will see how the runtimes are affected.

A teaser of the Nichia GS in its new home amid tons of epoxy to seal the head up:

dsc02050ws4.jpg

dsc02053jv1.jpg

dsc02055yk0.jpg

dsc02056bs1.jpg

Brendan

cyberspyder

Enlightened

Thank god for quick set epoxy...everything cured within 2 hours and I reassembled the light right away...couple taps with a hammer/wooden block and we were in business again...only differences being a GS instead of a CS, polished reflector, and an epoxied, waterproof head (remember, I had no window to start with).

One thing I've learnt is that a smooth reflector on LED lights highlight the deficiencies within the LED itself...as seen in the photos...the original smooth flood is gone, replaced with a 'throwish' light and many rings.

Let the pics speak for themselves:

dsc02059tq7.jpg

dsc02060uu3.jpg

dsc02062gk1.jpg

dsc02063zr5.jpg

Proverbial 'wall of light'

Brendan /satisifed// :naughty::twothumbs

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job. I like seeing X1 mods. They're not the easiest to open.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice mod...
I just got one of these... 50+ hours nice!!

How do you keep the water pressure from blowing out (or cracking) the window glass? Doesn't the expanding pressure place a direct load on the glass?