help with G2 led upgrade

livewrongprojects

Newly Enlightened
i have seen G2L with the nitrolon bezel and some new ones with aluminum bezel. ive been using a SF G2 as a back up whenever i go caving due to the short run time, im planning to get a P60L upgrade to maximize the battery (cr123 can be expensive from where i am), my question is; if i run the G2 with the P60L installed, for say 7 to 8 hrs straight. will the led assembly get hot enough to do damdage to the plastic bezel? how hot will the led asemly get? surefire claims an 80 lumen output if this is so i could make this my primary light. any info on this would be much appreciated.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No need to worry about the P60L melting the bezel on your G2. The black G2L model comes with an aluminum head to better dissipate heat away from the LED. Heat is not an issue for inca lamps. But it is an issue for LED emitters. Surefire uses an aluminum bezel on their G2L models to protect the LED emitters from heat, and not to prevent melting or damaging the Nitrolon bezels that were originally used. That was never an issue.

On a G2 with LED upgrade, the output will kick down in a relatively short amount of time. That's what happens, in order to protect the LED emitter from overheating. You can forget about getting a steady 80 lumens of output for any considerable length of time.

Last edited:

livewrongprojects

Newly Enlightened
On a G2 with LED upgrade, the output will kick down in a relatively short amount of time. That's what happens, in order to protect the LED emitter from overheating. You can forget about getting a steady 80 lumens of output for any considerable length of time

thanks for the info. though i have a few more questions to ask. since you mentioned that the light output would kick down after a short time. how low would this go? would it drop to as low as 40 lumens? would it go down to a certain amount of lumens where it would be constant to a certain amount of time? in a cave, ill be in total darkness, so 40 lumens i guess would be usefull?

im sorry i ask too much questions... i guess i just want to play in the safe side

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It can be hard to tell with the naked eye. Other CPFers have mentioned that it'll kick down to about 65 lumens. It may even kick down further if heat continues to build up. A G2 model with LED upgrade really isn't designed to work best at continuous-on mode for several hours.

It's not likely that the light will stay at a steady output for a given amount of time. Unless it happens to be a very low output. In total darkness, even a handful of lumens would seem impressive.

Don't worry about asking too many questions. Anything I can't answer, other CPFers will likely join in; in no time.

If you want to play it safe, a good LED headlamp is really better for caving. With the G2 used as a back-up light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Keep in mind the P60L's runtime is not accurate on the SF site. It's more like 4 hours of runtime, not 12

roymail

Enlightened
Keep your G2 and replace the incandescent lamp with a Malkoff M60LL which will give you 80 lumens for 8 hrs regulated output. Or, depending on your needs, I'd recommend the M60L which will give you 140 lumens for 4+ hrs regulated output.

The Malkoff units are of very high quality and heat will not be an issue with either of these models. Check it out.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 3 on the Malkoff M60LL. I have 5 (in SF G2's) and can tell you THEY ARE THE BEST! 8 FULL hrs., unlike SF's FALSE/misleading hrs., which are closer to 2 1/2 - 3 hrs..

And the M60LL's won't "heat up".

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Gene's LL model is fantastic. In a cave you won't need much brighter, it'd be overkill. If you would want more output than the LL you can get the L model, neither will present any heat issues running in an all Nitrolon light.

I have a 2X18650 leef running one with a round of diffusion film between the malkoff and the pyrex lens. WIDE flood beam and totally insane runtime!

HeadShot

Newly Enlightened
And the M60LL's won't "heat up".
My .02 FWIW YMMV

So i can use the M60LL in a nitrolon G2 for several hours without having to fear it would be damaged?

I recently destroyed a noname Cree P4 dropin after 20 min of continuous use. The SureFire P60L have a thermal protection that reduces the output:
With the aluminum bezel the G2L-BK dissipates heat more efficiently, allowing for higher output. The output for the G2L-BK with the Nitrolon bezel started at a maximum output of 80 lumens, leveling to a regulated output of 50 lumens. The G2L-BK with the aluminum bezel starts at a maximum output of 80 lumens and sustains a regulated output of 60 lumens. The total runtime of 12 hours will remain the same.
from here: http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2ledhiouf.html

So i switched them to P60L, but i would be interested in upgrading them to M60LL if these are that much better in runtime and output.

greetz,
georg

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
Surefire also has a higher powered LED on the way. I have no idea when it will be available, but I believe its supposed to be 200 Lumens.

roymail

Enlightened
So i can use the M60LL in a nitrolon G2 for several hours without having to fear it would be damaged? So i switched them to P60L, but i would be interested in upgrading them to M60LL if these are that much better in runtime and output.

I've never seen a graph on the Surefire P60L, but it will drop it's output as it heats up and will give gradual decreasing output over the remainder of the battery life. I wish they would quantify their number "12hr runtime."

The M60LL draws 170ma and never breaks a sweat. No heat issue... none. I have a M60L in a G2 that draws 350ma, and after 30 minutes of continuous runtime it's hardly warm... could have been from body heat. It's hard to perceive any heat at all with the M60L. Others I've talked to say the same.

And, with the Malkoff this is regulated output over time. I think you'll be pleased. Let us know.

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
I carry and use a Malkoff M60LL in my olive drab G2 with no problems. I did however ask Surefire for a G2Z bezel because it has a pyrex lens instead of plastic. That is a personal preference though.

I highly suggest getting the Malkoff M60LL. you won't be dissapointed. It is a good general purpose setting that will last for a long time. Full power, 80 lumens for 8 hours. You just can't beat that. Malkoff has designed his bulbs for use in ths G2's.

livewrongprojects

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the help guys, i would definitely get me a Malkoff M60LL. but until that module arrives... i will go ahead and test this new G2l my dad just gave me a while ago

livewrongprojects

Newly Enlightened
just a follow up question. out of curiosity i read in the new surefire blister pack that the G2l's output is regulated? is this also true with the P60L drop in?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Surefire also has a higher powered LED on the way. I have no idea when it will be available, but I believe its supposed to be 200 Lumens.

Yeah.... The P61L.

I got sick & tired of waiting around for Surefire to release it. If it wasn't nearly ready for release to the Public, Surefire shouldn't have announced it so soon.

I ended up getting a Malkoff M60 for my Surefire C2. Unlike the M60LL, the M60 does heat up with continuous use on fresh cells, for the first 1.5 hours. One CPFer used an integrating sphere with his M60, and got 227 lumens out the front.

Translation: Surefire is still working on an LED drop-in for their lights that, at best, will be able to compete on the same level as Gene's M60. :shakehead

Like I said, I got tired of waiting and bought a Malkoff M60 drop-in, instead.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am no SF hater (as I have several), but I am "kinda tired" of them announcing things that are months (if not years) out. I am also "tired" of them now giving FALSE/misleading "run times" on their G/P series of lights. I think it's time for SF to decide if they want to continue to be a "leader" of the flashlight pack, or just "get in line" as a follower.

As Moncrom said, even when SF gets their P60L out (that is IF they EVER do), it will, AT BEST, = Gene's M60 (which I doubt) and probably even then only "last" a fraction of the run time, on a set of batts. (all you have to do is look at the M60LL vs. the P60 to get an idea). My .02 FWIW