Whole lot of shakin' goin' on here in CA!

Zephyr

Enlightened
We just had a 5.8 earthquake here in California around 11:42AM. Epicenter is Diamond Bar. Reported aftershock-as much as 12! :Yikes:. Time to put my lights into standby mode :D Everything seems fine here. Except our cell phones won't work!

You guys okay?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stay safe. Prayers with you. I go to LA frequently and am glad I'm not there at the moment.

BVH

Flashaholic
Further reports differ between 5.8 and 5.4 and epicenter is said to be in Chino Hills. Felt it pretty strong here in San Fernando Valley I guessed 5.7 before I heard any reports. No damage of any kind here.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
They downgraded it to a 5.4. I was sleeping and I woke up to my bedroom flying around. What a ride.

Zephyr

Enlightened
Cal Tech and USGS have different ways of measuring the magnitude hence the discrepancies of the magnitudes. Well, at least that's what they said in the news.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Riverside, within 10 miles of the epicenter. We felt a pretty good jolt and some strong shaking for at least 10 seconds (seemed longer at the time).

Shakin' 'n' Bakin'.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checking in.....all ok here in the South Bay....home phone got knocked out but cell phone works fine......hope everyone is ok

Zephyr

Enlightened
Hope it's not a precursor to "The big one" Prayers to all those affected.

AlexGT

I hope it's not a foreshock too. But then again, It's better to be safe than sorry. What really surprised me was that cell phones, and even just regular phones were pretty useless (non-functioning) after the earthquake. And this quake is quite small compare to the Northridge earthquake (7.6 or something like that). What happens if the "Big One" will truly hit California? It's quite scary just to think about it!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Weird earthquake.
Felt like a jolt at first then a gentle rocking.
The one we had near Seattle in late-February 2001 also started with a jolt, followed by violent rocking (vs. "gentle rocking").
It was preliminarily a magnitude 7.0; later downgraded to 6.8 - its epicenter was near Nisqually WA.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phones were probably useless because of all the calls. Whenever something like this happens people call everyone they know to know if they are safe, and bring down the whole network.

Happens routinely during new year's eve around here...

CLHC

Flashaholic
Be safe out there! The experience of the Loma Prieta back in 1989 was something I'll never forget. . .

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The phone people I know have told me that there is at best 20 % capacity on the phone system. (in other words 500% oversold)

In addition, it appears that the emergency services seem to kind of take over the systems shutting down normal use.

Just to state this more clearly, neither the hard line nor cell phone systems will be usable in a real disaster AFAIK. In addition to flashlights, think about making ham radio a hobby and participate in the local disaster prep groups.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember my dad using his CB radio to reach Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake and relay messages to families in other parts of the country and in the USA, radios are probably a must in a situation like that.

AlexGT

Latest posts