Three "C" Batteries in a 2D Mag Help

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've heard that three "C" batteries will fit in a 2D Maglite, but I'm looking for detailed instructions and tips on how to modify the spring, tail cap, and the best sleeve to use to reduce rattling. Pics would be great if anyone has some. Thanks.

kurni

Enlightened
Depend on what kind of "C" you're trying to cramp in 2D; AW "C" won't fit because they're longer than normal "C".

I remember seeing the instruction but I haven't found it.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
try cutting the spring like this but make it to the length you think is best, just a dremel grinding disk is all i used..pipe can be gotten at home depot,bring a c battery for fit

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did the same thing for my 3D mag. i cut the spring down like qip said, and used a length of 04010 1'' PVC 1120 Schedule 40 PR 450PSI from Home Depot. where do you live? i can send you the piece you need if its not too far. just let me know the length of the body tube from the bottom of the switch to the top of the tailcap threads on the inside of the body. :twothumbs

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You also need to scrape the anodizing off the inside bottom of the tail cap where the modified spring seats.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
qip, thanks so much for the help and pics. Is that a 2D Mag modded for three "C" batteries in the photos? I'm glad to hear that a grinding disk will do the job....I read that lye was required to deanodize the tail cap.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
climberkid, thank you for your help and generous offer. I'm in the Fort Lauderdale area. I'll check the price on the PVC, it might be cheaper than shipping. I really appreciate the offer. Thanks

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
well florida is florida. i dont mind the price. unless you want 9 more feet of pipe for something i would love to send you the length. :thumbsup: but im not trying to impose.... lol

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just Type II anodizing, so you can scrape it of off with a file, dremel, whatever. Getting the tool in there can be a little awkward, but the anodizing comes off easily. And sturdy wire cutters ought to be enough to trim the spring. Good-sized pliers have worked for me.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didnt do it either , it just works, sure maybe the ano has some resistance but it works....the spring in pic was for a short 1D mag to fit a regular 1D battery from here 3rdRock is new owner maybe he scraped it off

GPB

Enlightened
OK..so once the batteries are squared away...do you keep the original bulb or get a 3 cell bulb ??? ie: are you trying to overdrive the bulb or just get a shorter 3 cell light ?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could do both, just make sure if its a regulated led module that in can take 3 cells and be aware for incan bulbs if you overdrive a 2 cell with 3 cell it may work great or instaflash and burn out so have some spares

3mw

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to put a Malkoff 2D-3D module in the 2D body with three "C" batteries. I just like the size of the 2D....the 3D seems like a baton to me. Will the three "C" batteries in a 2D Maglite be as bright as three "D" batteries in a 3D Maglite?...If not, I'll probably just stick with the 3d body. Thanks.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I'm trying to put a Malkoff 2D-3D module in the 2D body with three "C" batteries. I just like the size of the 2D....the 3D seems like a baton to me. Will the three "C" batteries in a 2D Maglite be as bright as three "D" batteries in a 3D Maglite?...If not, I'll probably just stick with the 3d body. Thanks.

I believe they will be the same brightness but you will get longer runtimes with 3Ds over 3Cs.

Latest posts