NOOB ?'s About BOG Q5

N/Apower

Enlightened
Hi, I am sorry for the noob-ness of these questions, but until about 1 week ago, a flashlight was something that said Maglite on the side and rode mostly unused in my car. Now it is something that hangs under the barrel of my AR-15.

I purchased a Streamlight Super Tac...the bezel?* was about 1cm too large to fit in my Elzetta mount and not hit the barrel. My dad REALLY liked it and is a bit of a flashlight nut, and so he bought it immediately.

I turned around and bought a Surefire 6P LED (It was only $20 more than the G2, and I liked the Pyrex window vs. the Lexan window).

I tried it out.

I was mildly unimpressed. It just isn't bright enough to give me clarity I want out to 75+ yards on a shot at night. Also, it has a VERY blue tint compared to the Super-Tac's perfectly white beam.

So, I did a quick search and found Bug Out Gear. I looked at and purchased the Q5 "super premium" LED drop-in.

My questions are:

Will this stand up to .223 and .308 recoil in a 6P host?

Can I leave this light on for it's maximum run-time? (I had read the G2's did not heat-sink very well, but the 6P is aluminum).

Will it run okay with SF123 batteries?

Will it really make 230 Lumens with SF123 batteries?

Is that Lumen rating at the bulb, or 1m in front of the light?

What is the run-time with my setup? How long will it run total, and how long should it run before the human eye can detect a drop? My Super Tac had a rating chart that had it almost level for 2.5 hours, then a precipitous drop to 3.5 hours. Is this going to be the same way? How long should it run before "the drop"? (6P with 2 Surefire batteries)?

Thankyou very much for your time and patients with a noob!

PS. I ordered it tonight, will I get it in a few days? It said in-stock...

21o3kf5.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It should stand the shock just fine.

I'm not sure how fast they ship but it seems like most of the good stores with membership here ship pretty quickly.

:welcome:

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I believe most of your questions were answered on our recent phone conversation, but if you still have any other questions please feel free to give us a call.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutgearUSA.com

N/Apower

Enlightened
I believe most of your questions were answered on our recent phone conversation, but if you still have any other questions please feel free to give us a call.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutgearUSA.com

Yes they were, I am now just waiting for the unit to arrive :)

Hopefully at the gun-show tomorrow I can fine a tape or clicky switch for my 6P. If not, I can live with the twisty.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I am very pleased with this light. I installed it with the spring and have a bit of gap, but am not concerned with it. My only complaint was it seemed intermittantly turning on/off. I tightened down on the brass-thing GOOD and hand tight and it moved 1/4 turn. This seems to have fixed it. It is an excellent light for my intended purpose and I recommend this to anyone. My setup is easy to use twisty, or pressing with the side of the index finger for momentary.

6PLED (or Incan, who cares, you are converting it...) $50(incan)-$80LED
BOG Q5 -$50 shipped
Elzetta Mount $45 shipped

For $150-190 you can have an AWESOME bright light at less than a 10oz penalty WITH batteries.