2 d lithium WA1111

beetleguise

Enlightened
Has anyone ever tried running a WA1111 off of 2 d lithiums? I was wondering if the bulb would instaflash without a softstart. I am currently using a 2d lithium with an incan smartdriver/philips 5761 for a work light, but I can't go full bright hot off of the charger or "poof". My co-worker has a mag11, and wants to convert the light to a d cell, because the aw c cells got toasted, and he NEEDS more run time. I advised him to go ahead, but buy the AW incan smart driver. I think he isn't ready to spend a ton of money right now though, and would like to just skip the driver. WA1111's aren't cheap though!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1111 can be run by 2 x Li-ion cells. I dont see why it would flash on a D Li-ion. I have no experience with 1111's; just knowledge from the halls over at Hotwire-U

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, there is no problem, you may not even need a soft start if you use the Kai D Li-ion individual cells, this combo worked well for me in the past.

beetleguise

Enlightened
Thanks guys, but the D cell will make a difference. I used to run a 5761 with 2 c cells and the only problem was the high discharge tripping the cells. So, I switched to D cells, and the 5761 would instaflash right off of the charger every time because those monster cells don't drop the voltage as much as a c cell when in use. If anyone has tried 2 d cells with a WA1111 please let me know how it worked, I would hate for my buddy to go blowing 11 dollars bulbs!

DM51

Flashaholic
My co-worker has a mag11 ... the aw c cells got toasted
Not sure if I understood correctly - how did the cells get toasted?

AW 'C' Li-Ions are easily up to the job of running a WA1111, as they would be running at only ~1.2C, and you would get up to ~45 mins run-time.

The Osram 64250 is a cheaper alternative to the WA1111 ($3 instead of $9) and it gives very similar performance.

beetleguise

Enlightened
I ruined a set of AW c cells using an incan smartdriver and a 5761, so I switched to the WA1111. The new cells with the 1111 only lasted about 6 months, and I am taking care of them. I have many other lithiums including aw cells that give me no trouble. I read in another post that a earlier batch of c cells may have been trouble. So, the AW protected C should run the 1111 no problem? I just don't know if I want to recommend to my coworker buying 44 dollars worth of batteries and having them fry. I guess if they do he could ask AW for a refund- he is good about that.
The cheaper bulb is a good idea if they pop on d cells should he convert to d lithiums.
Thanks guys

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ruined a set of AW c cells using an incan smartdriver and a 5761, so I switched to the WA1111. The new cells with the 1111 only lasted about 6 months, and I am taking care of them. I have many other lithiums including aw cells that give me no trouble. I read in another post that a earlier batch of c cells may have been trouble. So, the AW protected C should run the 1111 no problem? I just don't know if I want to recommend to my coworker buying 44 dollars worth of batteries and having them fry. I guess if they do he could ask AW for a refund- he is good about that.
The cheaper bulb is a good idea if they pop on d cells should he convert to d lithiums.
Thanks guys

I am not very good with electronics but I would guess that if you have gone through two sets of cells with either the 5761 and 1111 than perhaps the problem is elsewhere. The combination of either AW C cells or Kai D cells with ROP H and L, 5761 and the 1111 has been very popular here. Yes you may need a soft start switch with most of these combinations but these are reliable performers. Try and sort out if there may be other reasons for your problems so far.

beetleguise

Enlightened
I am not very good with electronics but I would guess that if you have gone through two sets of cells with either the 5761 and 1111 than perhaps the problem is elsewhere. The combination of either AW C cells or Kai D cells with ROP H and L, 5761 and the 1111 has been very popular here. Yes you may need a soft start switch with most of these combinations but these are reliable performers. Try and sort out if there may be other reasons for your problems so far.
Both sets of c cells were from the same batch. I think I am going to recommend buying another set, and if there is a problem, getting a refund from aw