How many lumens SF-U2 (80-100?)

Daark

Banned
I just look in the SF-U2 manual, and there i can read that U2 only have maximum output 80 Lumens? Is this right ?
I suppose it was at least 100 Lumens.
Look at page 5 in the manual. (2-80Lumen)

http://www.surefire.com/images/manuals/u2_manual.pdf

EDIT: Have anyone here received their E-Bay U2, from the guy in Vegas yet? i'm just curios;-)

Last edited:

Bradlee

Enlightened
Surefire originally rated the U2 at 100 lumens, then decreased the rated output to 80 lumens. :shrug: I can't recall the exact date they changed the quoted figure.

Daark

Banned
Surefire originally rated the U2 at 100 lumens, then decreased the rated output to 80 lumens. :shrug: I can't recall the exact date they changed the quoted figure.

This is the information i get from SureFires website: 2-100 Lumen ??? :confused:
I do not understand..what is the right info? 2-80Lumen or 2-100Lumen? very confused information...

U2 Ultra™
spacer.gif

Battery-powered LED. Compact (palm sized), high-intensity, variable-output LED flashlight for tactical, duty, and general use.
spacer.gif

Max Output: 2 to 100 lumens
Runtime: 40+ hours at low setting
spacer.gif

Price: $279.00 | More info

Bradlee

Enlightened
Here is a good review of it. In it it says at first they were rated up to 100 lumens then dropped to 80 lumens and since 2006 they are rated back up to 100 lumens. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/129131 . I have had several of these and from my experience the 100 lumens is conservative.

Chris

Ah, didn't realize the rating was bumped back up- thanks for the correction. :thumbsup:

GreySave

Enlightened
Hmm. I thought it was originally rated at 80 lumens and they bumped it to 100? But then, my 50 year old memory is not what it used to be, or so my wife keeps telling me.......

Either way it remains a great utility light with more than adequate throw and wide flood. The ability to preset the light level before turning the light on gives you the best of all worlds. Some folks prefer a lower low for indoor use, but I find the low is what I use most outdoors. It is still bright enough to scan the yard (at 60-80 feet) for critters. Mine is used almost every evening when I sit out on the deck and watch nature's flashlights (Fireflies) milling about. It is also my night EDC and one of my go to lights for activations..

Bradlee

Enlightened
Hmm. I thought it was originally rated at 80 lumens and they bumped it to 100? But then, my 50 year old memory is not what it used to be, or so my wife keeps telling me.......

Either way it remains a great utility light with more than adequate throw and wide flood. The ability to preset the light level before turning the light on gives you the best of all worlds. Some folks prefer a lower low for indoor use, but I find the low is what I use most outdoors. It is still bright enough to scan the yard (at 60-80 feet) for critters. Mine is used almost every evening when I sit out on the deck and watch nature's flashlights (Fireflies) milling about. It is also my night EDC and one of my go to lights for activations..

Made me question my 'young memory' for a minute :). According to Cheapo's review (here), the output was derated from 100 to 80 lumens.

I agree that the ability to pre-select the appropriate light level is a huge plus, and the bright flood is really nice.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The U2 itself has never changed - only the rating. This is also the case for SureFire's other LuxeonV products - L2, L4, L5, L6 for example.
SureFire put its product range through extensive testing of production samples to determine 100 lumens is a viable output rating.

U2VOODOO

Newly Enlightened
I know that LED's have a brighter color temp to them, but have always looked at it from this perspective; The U2 seems at least twice as bright as my 65 lumen 6P. That being said, when I returned my U2 to the factory for a burned out LED, surefire returned it with an even brighter LED installed than when it left. The origional LED was also focused so that it had a larger doughnut hole than the one in my U2 now.

I was so pleased with it I immediately bought a second one when Sportsmans has a 1/2 price sale. These are some flashlights! I cant wait for the new high lumen flashlights from surefire.:faint:

Latest posts